Valued Contributor

Question about handheld steamers

I just got a new tee that is 100 percent cotton (as tees usually are) and washed & dried it only to have it come out extremely wrinkled. Now I have many, many tees and don't ever have a problem with them. I just take them out of the dryer and fold. All of those are your regular graphic tees, nothing fancy. This one, however, is thicker and has pretty emboidery on the front. This isn't really what I'd call a t-shirt, but that's how the retailer described it.

The care instructions are to wash it in warm water, tumble dry on medium heat, and NOT to iron (guess because of the emboidery). Since I have two other tees made the same way coming, I was thinking about buying a handheld steamer. Just wondering, however, if even a steamer could possibly damage the emboidery section. Would appreciate advice about this, and would also love to hear any other suggestions for getting these wrinkles out without using an iron or a steamer. Thanks!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about handheld steamers

I use a handheld steamer frequently for "ironing." I put the garment on a hanger and go over it with the steamer and the t-shirt, jeans, etc. are good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find that whenever I launder an embroidered garment then the embroidered part gets sort of crumpled-looking, even after I steam it or try to flatten it while it's still damp. What I end up doing is turn the garment inside out then place a thin towel over the embroidered parts(s) and iron it on low heat w/steam. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I find that whenever I launder an embroidered garment then the embroidered part gets sort of crumpled-looking, even after I steam it or try to flatten it while it's still damp. What I end up doing is turn the garment inside out then place a thin towel over the embroidered parts(s) and iron it on low heat w/steam. 

This is exactly what I would do.

The thin towel can actually be damp to create a bit more steam.

If your iron has a steam setting, save yourself some money.

I don't think a hand held steamer is what you need.

If your iron does not have a steam setting, use the dampened towel between iron & garment and gently iron.   

ETA Be sure to use a WHITE towel

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper There are dryer sheets in the laundry supply isle that I purchase for my husband's tee shirts and they work extremely well. They  come in a orange box. And are made by Bounce. They are so wonderful, his tee shirts were just a mess before I started using them I saw them on a commercial. The tee shirts are underwear tee shirts. I paid quite a chunk from them, I purchased the tee's at Kohl's. Make sure you read the package on the bounce sheets. They really solved the problem for me.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

This is exactly what I would do.

The thin towel can actually be damp to create a bit more steam.

If your iron has a steam setting, save yourself some money.

I don't think a hand held steamer is what you need.

If your iron does not have a steam setting, use the dampened towel between iron & garment and gently iron.   

@software Yes, that's the way my mom taught me.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopperAssuming you already own an iron, do yourself and the environment a favor and don't buy anothert device! Just try the advice from @SilleeMee . It's worked for me, too.

Valued Contributor

In an attempt to avoid ironing, I've been looking online at all the alternative methods people use, including putting ice cubes in the dryer with the clothing. Had never heard that one before. Can't use the shower method since we don't have a shower, plus our bathroom is so big, we never have steam form. And, @BeccaLou, like you, I always use Bounce, but it didn't make any difference with this tee. 

So, I guess I'll have to give in and do as @SilleeMee recommended. Was just trying to avoid getting the old ironing board out. As @alliswell said, that's how her mom taught her, and it's also how my mom did--and, of course as @software said, with a white towel. 

Thanks everyone for you help. Greatly appreciated!

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper Are you using the specially made bounce sheets made for wrinkles. Those sheets are the sheets that I use. Also make sure to fillin the gap in the dryer with drawer balls and dish towels , the absobent type.Dish towels,

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

I use a handheld steamer frequently for "ironing." I put the garment on a hanger and go over it with the steamer and the t-shirt, jeans, etc. are good.

@wishmoon 

i think a steamer is an invaluable small appliance.

every member of my family has their own steamers....i even got my son to start steaming his clothes when he became a teenager.....he was even steaming his boxers. LOL

would never be without one!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein