Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about getting rid of bedroom furniture

You can try selling on Craig's list first and then donate it if it does not sell. There is virtually no $. value to used furniture unless it is antique. A consignment shop might be worth a try if they will pick it up. If you have to get it there it probably won't be worth the effort.
Valued Contributor

I do not see the benefit of getting rid of either the dresser or armoire...they are great storage and could be used in other areas of your home...consider refinishing if you want another look. An armoire may be configured to house a TV in a media room. A dresser might be used for a bar by hanging a wine rack or stemware rack.

Honored Contributor

I can tell you that from our experience, used furniture, not matter how nice or of how good quality doesn't sell for much on the secondary market here. We have helped my mom downsize, and she has been sorely disappointed at the few dollars her fine pieces will bring.

We go to lots of auctions (estate) and my son works in a local auction house, and even fine wood furniture usually brings pennies on the dollar of the original cost, even when purchased decades ago.

I agree with others that ask might you repurpose those pieces, but I understand the whole downsizing thing, and if they just have to go, splitting the set to keep just what you really need or want is what you will have to do. Ask yourself if you would feel better to give it to a good cause, or get what little money out of it you can, and make your decision based on that answer.

Even antique furniture isn't selling for what it once did. You can't go to the antique stores and malls and think you would get those prices, as those pieces sit in their shops for long periods and don't move either.

Honored Contributor

You may not even be around when this set get sold, so if you don't have free storage somewhere, get rid of it.

Honored Contributor

I've thought of getting rid of my heavy bedroom set in favor of a smaller set, but even in the medium price range, the quality is bad. If I ever do replace it, I'd like to find a furniture store that would take the old set and donate it. I've seen some ads on TV for furniture stores that will do that.

Esteemed Contributor

I was just thinking of getting rid of one of my two big wooden dressers in our bedroom. It's almost empy and I can't think of a reason to keep it. I saw one of those "house selling" shows and they said "too many dressers." The bedroom looked great after they gave the dresser the heave ho. I'm going to donate mine to a group that sets up apartments for battered women in my area, they are always looking for good usuable items. I just have to dig out the number from the last time I donated something to them{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

It's great storage. Did you ever consider moving it to another room? Convert the armoire to an entertainment center.........the dresser into a buffet?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

I'm in a number of area resale groups on Facebook and it is very seldom that anyone wants to buy a whole set of bedroom furniture. The seller starts out trying to keep the set intact but ends up selling it by individual pieces. You are right, nothing sells for even close to what it is worth but everyone wants a bargain these days. I think the suggestion of "repurposing" some of the items is a good one. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Respected Contributor

Try habitat for humanity resale store and get a tax write off.
Contributor

Donate it. Don't do Craigslist unless you want to be haggled by used furniture dealers. I would never,ever do CL.