Honored Contributor

Question about TableCloth

[ Edited ]

I bought on a half price sale after Christmas a woodland critters vinyl tablecloth, it was so pretty. The size I needed was sold out but I got it anyway.

I can use it folded in half and the sides come down 10 inches on the ends of  table and about 5 on each side. Oblong table.

If I put it on table open the whole way it comes down alot more as you can tell by those measurments.

WOULD you use it as I am now or would you open it the whole way and let it hang down alot farther?

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

Re: Question about TableCloth

I would either use it folded or cut it down to fit and hem the ends. Do you use chairs at the end positions? If you do then the person sitting there would have a lot of fabric in their lap.

Just FYI I have an oblong table also and the tablecloths I buy hang down further on the ends than on the sides but not as much as you describe.

Respected Contributor

I'd use it as you are using it.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I’d use it folded as you are doing. If you want a longer drape, but not as long as when the new tablecloth would be opened, you can put a properly fitted, solid color tablecloth on first and lay your new one (folded) over it. 

Honored Contributor

@froggy   I usual always buy ones that are smaller than the one I bought on sale. They had sold out of the size I needed and I really thought it was just so pretty so got it anyway Woman Happy

Thank you for the suggestion, its a good one.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Thank you much for your replies! Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Slow day for my brain yesterday 🤣 but isn't accurate to say:

Vinyl can be cut to size

If it is currently doubled, do you not actually have two coverings that could be cut to a uniform 5" drop?

Or if opened and cut, you would have one cloth with a max 10" drop?

Could be wrong.....

Honored Contributor

I'm really funny about table cloths. They have to be/look just right (in my eyes, not by any pre determined length on sides etc.) or I can't stand them. 

I'm just not able to visualize what you describe about the fit, but is it designed for oblong? For me, it would seem that it should hang the exact  same length all around to be a good look. 

Ultimately, if you love it, that is all that counts!

Honored Contributor

I do like it Woman Happy even if the fit is not right due to it being larger than the oblong size I needed. But its just so pretty I got it due to the half price sale after Christmas.

Plus no one is coming by due to the Pandemic lol. I do appreciate your replies. Woman Very Happy