Valued Contributor

Question About Cleaning With Microfiber Cloths

When they demo cleaning with microfiber cloths and on many "green" sites, they rave about the fact that you only need to use water. But does the surface really get clean? If you are doing heavily cleaning, do you need some kind of detergent? Especially with kitchen and bathroom surfaces where germs are a real problem? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question About Cleaning With Microfiber Cloths

I use my microfiber cloths for light cleaning and dusting, which is accomplished with the use of a small amount of water. It goes without saying that if you are doing heavy cleaning that involves grease or dirt build-up, you are going to need a cleaning product for the dirt, but the microfibers in the cloth will be beneficial in the removal of the dirt. I use bleach wipes to clean the surfaces in my kitchen and bathroom for disinfecting purposes---not my microfiber cloths. I dust furniture with my cloths, clean mirrors and windows with my cloths, wipe appliances with the cloths, and dry dishes with my microfiber cloths. I do not use them in bleach solutions; I do wash them separately, and never use fabric softener on them.

Super Contributor

Same as the other poster. Just use water for glass or mirrors, but for other things I use the cleaner I normally would.
Super Contributor

I use my microfiber clothes for everything! I always spray them with a cleaning product-our water has too many minerals in it and you end up with a whitish film on everything! I even put them onmy swifter mop and clean my floors with them. Just wash, but hang to dry and don't put them in with fabric softener. I bought mine at TJ Maxx for about 2.99 for 3 clothes!

Super Contributor

On 1/4/2014 RedTop said:

I use my microfiber cloths for light cleaning and dusting, which is accomplished with the use of a small amount of water. It goes without saying that if you are doing heavy cleaning that involves grease or dirt build-up, you are going to need a cleaning product for the dirt, but the microfibers in the cloth will be beneficial in the removal of the dirt. I use bleach wipes to clean the surfaces in my kitchen and bathroom for disinfecting purposes---not my microfiber cloths. I dust furniture with my cloths, clean mirrors and windows with my cloths, wipe appliances with the cloths, and dry dishes with my microfiber cloths. I do not use them in bleach solutions; I do wash them separately, and never use fabric softener on them.

What she said, except I use SuperCloths
Super Contributor

I use them damp (just water) for quick cleanups on the sink, kitchen, etc. They are fantastic. I bought mine from QVC

Honored Contributor

I would think that if you are cleaning a particularly germy area (like maybe there was raw poultry or something else of that nature) I would NOT just use microfiber cloths and water. I'd use something completely different.

I like the microfiber cloths and use mine a lot, but never for stuff like that. They are great for cleaning all the puppy face stuff off my windows and other glass, and casual cleaning of kitchen counters/stove, etc. But if there was stuff that was of certain bacterial nature I would not use them at all. It would not only de-germ the area, but then you'd have the germy stuff on your microfiber towels too. They say to not wash them in hot water so I'd be afraid that I couldn't get them adequately clean.

That's my POV, FWIW. YMMV Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I use mine for everything. I can clean my sink with just the cloths and it leaves it very clean and my faucet shines like it is new. I do spray my counters and the sink with a cleaner that I wipe down with a paper towel if I did food prep. I don't cook much so that is rare.

I wanted to add that they are great for cleaning the lens of your glasses. I keep one in both cars and one in my purse.

Honored Contributor

I tried dusting my wood furniture with a slightly damp microfiber cloth and nearly ruined one piece, a hand oiled coffee table. I'll have to re-treat it with linseed oil and fine steel wool plus lots of elbow grease. When I want to disinfect with them, I wet them with a diluted bleach solution.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I use them the same as RedTop but I don't dry dishes with them. I only use 100% cotton towels to dry dishes. I use Lysol or Clorox wipes for bacteria/germ cleaning like on the kitchen counters & outside of toilet & other areas in the kitchen & bathroom. Has anyone used the Doc Wood Fiber Cleaning Cloths from HSN? They say they can be used to clean anything with only water & they clean up the bacteria. I don't see how just water can clean bacteria?