Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question About Berkshire Throws

A word of caution, @NickNack .

I wash mine on gentle, with nothing else in the machine, and they've come out beautiful. They are really nearly dry already, so the dryer tumble is just a few minutes to restore original fluffyness.

But I ruined my favourite one by washing lint-y cotton towels & rugs before the Berkshire. It never occurred to me there would be tiny bits of fluffy, pill-making cotton threads & lint clinging to the inside of the washer walls and agitator.

After several positive washes, you wouldn't believe how raggedy this came out. Looks bad, feels worse.(Cat still loves it.) Still warm tho.

I wipe the washer and dryer out with a damp towel now, before washing anything made of the new fabrics.

Honored Contributor

I'm now debating between the Luxe Faux Fur Throw on QVC or the Extra-Fluffy Throw on Amazon.  There's only a few dollars difference in price, so that's not a factor.  Does anyone have one or both of these and have an opinion?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

The nubby balls make all the difference in fluffiness.  I just leave them in the dryer for use on all my clothes.  They even make jeans softer.  I have fleece robes, sheets,  jackets, shirts, in addition to blankets and throws and the balls make them all remarkably soft and fluffy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The nubby balls make all the difference in fluffiness.  I just leave them in the dryer for use on all my clothes.  They even make jeans softer.  I have fleece robes, sheets,  jackets, shirts, in addition to blankets and throws and the balls make them all remarkably soft and fluffy.

@Kachina624   I found some blue ones with nubs on Amazon and some wool ones on Amazon.  Some of the blue ones with nubs say they're PVC.  Is that what you're talking about?  I'll get some.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I air dry mine (outside) and no, they don't take forever if you have a good washer that wrings most of the water out.   No fabric softener.

Honestly I would never tolerate anything high maintenance.   Try it, you will love it. Mine look like new.

I love mine, hope to get more this winter.

@NickNack wrote:

I was thinking about ordering a Berkshire throw in a solid color.  The description on QVC's website says machine washable and dryable.  When I look on Amazon the description says if you dry it in the dryer, use an air only setting.  That sounds like it would take forever to dry.  Is that what the throws say when you get them home?  QVC should list them that way.

Are the blankets nice and soft?  Do they wash well?

Occasional Contributor

In case you's still like to know, I have several Berkshire throws that I do dry on "fluff only".  After 2 cycles they're still a little damp in spots so I do one more for good measure.  (Sometimes I've line dried them by draping them over one of those collapsible laundry tripods.  They're not drippy or heavy and it works well.)  

I'm glad to know from other posters here that you can use low heat to dry these throws and they still look good.  I'll try it.   I did dry one of the plush on one side, sherpa on the other Berkshire blankets (size full) that was "air dry only" (which did take forever) and it did not come out well, probably because, being bigger, it was constantly touching the hot walls of the dryer.    

Esteemed Contributor

I dry mine on AIR setting and it doesn't take long. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Due to the amount of polyester/fleece, etc., these things come out of the washer almost dry.   They only need an air fluff to finish drying.  

Honored Contributor

@NickNack.  Yes, mine are blue hard rubber or plastic.  Just don't let Frankie think they're dog toys.  I think they cut down on static electricity too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I dry my berkshire blankets on extra low heat for just 10 minutes.  They are almost completely dry by then but I hang them up on an inside line to get out any residual dampness overall it doesn;t take long and they come out great.  Also just wash in cold water no fabric softenor on gentle cycle.  I also use those plastic blue nubby balls in my dryer that I bought on amazon.  I only use two balls and leave them in the dryer.  I use them on all of my loads now.  They really don't make a lot of noise either spinning around and around but it also helps that my dryer is down in the basement.