Honored Contributor

QUOGUE, NY HOUSE WITH SEA VIEWS

A quickie.  Even though Steven Gambrel is one of those ultra-popular, "fashionable" designers, I always come back to his work.  There's something so calm about his interiors, yet interesting.  Incidentally, this house he did on Long Island was designed by the acclaimed Robert A. M. Stern architectural firm.

steven-gambrel-21.jpg

Classic.  Love the pendant light, Dutch door, the windows, the deceptive simplicity.

steven-gambrel-6.jpg

Sand and sea colors predominate.  Love the lanterns, and the ceilings.

steven-gambrel.jpg

The dining room is so nicely framed by the graceful arch:

steven-gambrel-4.jpg

I always like to see the pottery Gambrel has in his rooms.

steven-gambrel-2.jpg

Those pendant lights in the kitchen!

steven-gambrel-7.jpg

I always like that in airy houses like this, there's so often a cozy, more moody type den to escape too.  More wonderful ceilings.

steven-gambrel-10.jpg

This bedroom makes me feel like I'm on a stately ship!

steven-gambrel-13.jpg

steven-gambrel-22.jpg

Gambrel is versatile too-- he does wonderful, art-filled NYC apartments as well, quite different in mood from this ocean-side idyll.  If you look at his portfolio, you can see the full range.  There's another coastal house he did, called "Six Swans" I think, that calls to me too....  

Respected Contributor

Re: QUOGUE, NY HOUSE WITH SEA VIEWS

Oh, if only.  This home evokes so many luxurious fantasies.  I can't find a thing I don't like about this gorgeous home -- and setting.  

Respected Contributor

Oh my god I love this house. This would be my dream home when I was younger. My son and his wife are building a house like this on a smaller scale. Their great room has that ceiling and a window like that. The ocean view is beautiful. We will be living in the cape that they are living in now. It is small, quaint, old and just right for us. 

Respected Contributor

While I prefer contemporary furnishings, this home is beautiful, and very nicely done.  I love the arches throughout and the ceiling and stained glass windows in the den.  The color scheme is soothing.  Will have to look up the artsy NYC apartments!

Esteemed Contributor

I could live there no problem!!!!

Respected Contributor

that is one perfectly beautiful home. 

Honored Contributor

Beautiful!  How wonderful it would be to vacation there - only for a weekend.

Honored Contributor

OMG! I love this house! It is so elegant, but yet it looks very comfortable.....The color palette is perfect as well.  

Respected Contributor

Why, that's my weekend place!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a real winner.  We are all already lining up to take the tour, @Oznell !

I love everything from the Dutch door entry, to the interior archways, to the pendant lighting, to the charm of the rattan chairs and table in the cozy kitchen and, of course, it's on the beach.

It's interesting the designer, Gambrel, did the interior of a home that has a gambrel roof line.

Image result for Gambrel"

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.