Honored Contributor

QUIRKY BLOGGER DECORATES HER FRONT HALL IN 1901 CHRISTMAS STYLE

"The Farmhouse Vernacular" blogger is a real find, fellow house fans!   She has a point of view that you don't often find online. 

She has an old Victorian farmhouse they are slowly renovating, and so decided to concentrate her efforts on her front hall for now.  She researched what decorations would be like in the year 1901:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygOcD5QyQBg

Love the thick, cedar-y garland, the carefully crafted, endearingly naive, little muslin "treat" bags tied with red ribbon, love everything she did!  What do you think of her decision, absent a tree, to decorate her stair garland as if it were a tree?  Do you love that staircase?

Really if you watch no other Christmas deco. video, do give this one a glance-- it's that good.  At the end, (taking into account that of course there must be some modern elements and aspects) there's a quiet feeling of going back to the turn of the nineteenth/twentieth century.  When the haunting strains of "I Saw Three Ships (Come Sailing In)"  fill the freshly decorated hall, it's quite transporting!

Super Contributor

Re: QUIRKY BLOGGER DECORATES HER FRONT HALL IN 1901 CHRISTMAS STYLE

I watched the video.  It’s quite lovely.  Of course it’s a charming home & beautiful staircase to begin with.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed the video and love the beautifully decorated staircase.  I love the staircase on its own and the garland of branches filled with simple touches create a festive look.  I like that she used many branches so it is full !  You don't need a lot of money to make a room look like a designer took over.  The fun part of decorating is adding your own looks, groupings, favorite pieces.  I think this video showed that.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  LOVE everything...and would move into that farmhouse in a heartbeat! Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Enjoyed this so much -- and especially enjoyed HER enjoyment!  Thanks, @Oznell 

P.S.  Got a kick out of seeing how she tied the ends of her shawl around her waist before putting on her coat.  What a simple, sensible way to layer in some extra warmth.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a charming and entertaining video!

@Oznell Thanks for the link!

Honored Contributor

Gang, given her interesting perspective, and the charm of the old house, I think this will be a good blog to follow for those interested in renovation (and intelligent talk about same)!

Honored Contributor

Lovely home and decorations.  And she's a riot. (Reminds me of me: no patience!!!)

Honored Contributor

Sheer perfection, @Oznell 

When I saw that the video was longer than a few minutes (and began with dogs enjoying the outdoors), I made a fresh cup of coffee and sat down to thoroughly enjoy, and did I ever.

From beginning to end, she didn't make one wrong step (or if she did, she charmed us into loving it).  Oh, except one.  Her pruning skills need a lot of work.  She left stubs.  It would have been easy not to, but I do hope she will learn the art of pruning.  It will only benefit her in years to come when the plants revive and regrow as they want to do.  

I fell in love with that staircase, too.  Beautiful.  

She is a charming, witty, generous, and knowledgeable hostess/guide.  I don't subscribe to many Youtube videos but now I'm subscribing to hers.  

Image result for cedar branch

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm afraid, as maybe is getting to be too often the case, that I'm going to be the lone naysayer. Her enthusiasm is wonderful but, for me, that's as far as this one goes.

The house is potentially pleasing, but needs a lot of work to be appealing. That said, I'd hate to expend all the effort crafting those decorations and end up with them looking, again, to me, no more appealing than they did. I'd also note, a few days after hanging them, all that ragged greenery is going to start looking like a hot mess. Sorry. I can see that this effort has many supporters, but I'm just not one of them.

As for the stair rail, I'd paint it, ditto the house's exterior... And for heaven's sake, do some landscaping...

For me, the video was too long to end up with the result it did... Still, the post, as always, is appreciated...

Shocking, yes I know...

Woman Surprised  Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...