Respected Contributor

Re: QUESTION REGARDING CLEANING HARDWOOD FLOORS

I use vinegar and water in a microfiber cloth, wrung out till almost dry, and damp mop with that after thorough sweeping first.  My floors are shiny and look great after 25 years.  I juse the same procedure on vinyl flooring we have.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

My hardwood floors are  red oak that were placed down unfinished, sanded then sealed. They are not the prefinished ones that are available today.

mine were sealed with the finish that is used on professional basketball courts. I even have hardwood floors in my kitchen. Some hardwood floors are sealed differently.

I used to use Bona, but it made my floors dull and filmy.  I found a different product that works so much better.

You might have to experiment until you find a product that Is compatible with your flooring finish.  I also use a Bissell Crosswave with their hardwood cleaner.  Water does not hurt my floors.

@Carmie:  Mine were finished the exact same way as yours were, and I also have red oak.   I don't use the crosswave but use Don Aslett's microfiber mop system, with Bona/water mixture.  They are still beautiful after all of these years.  I just try not to soak them.

Honored Contributor

My hardwood floors are teak. I tried Bona and really didn't like it. I just vacuum daily and use a wet Swiffer when needed. My floors just glow!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I would also suggest spraying your Swiffer duster with Endust to help with dust bunnies.  Makes a big difference!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Bona products are best.  I actually saw it at Walmart recently.

Honored Contributor

My hard wood floors were installed in 1979 and I have used various products over the years. I think the main thing is not to get the floors too wet whether they are sealed or not. My floors still look pretty good and we have always had dogs and cats in the house.

Honored Contributor

@author,  damp mopping with wrung out vinegar-and-water solution is one thing I've not tried, but it sounds good to me.  Wouldn't be harmful to the cats either.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

I have had multiple cats over the years and also I myself have sensitivity to all chemicals, so this was a necessity for me. 

Vinegar disinfects gently, and when diluted works great on just about every surface.  I keep some in a spray bottle in the kitchen and spray on a damp microfiber for wiping off all things including smart phones and stainless steel appliances!  

The trick is to not saturate floors, just use a damp cloth and polish/clean them at the same time.   

Honored Contributor

I started using Bona based on recommendations here.

I will say the regular Bona hard wood floor cleaner is fantastic.  The "Deep Clean" version leaves the floor dull for some reason.  So I stick with the regular cleaner.

I will also recommend the cabinet cleaner.  I have hardwood cabinets and it's the best cleaner I've ever used.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

Not really a cleaning response, but I have just started using a spray bottle with 2/3 purified or distilled water and 1/3 avocado oil on my wood. I have reclaimed antique long leaf pine cabinets, floors and casings.  It is bringing out the richness of the wood. But this is new to me so I don't know if anything about this will bother me later.

i got this tip from an HGTV show where a woman restores mansions (in Kansas maybe).  She said she likes this best for restoring old floors that are still in reasonable shape