Trusted Contributor

QUESTION REGARDING CLEANING HARDWOOD FLOORS

I have just recently moved into a new home and we have hardwood floors.  I am not accustomed to having hardwood floors, so I'm wondering if any of you ladies could tell me how you clean and take care of your hardwood floors.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Frequent Contributor

Re: QUESTION REGARDING CLEANING HARDWOOD FLOORS

Bona is recommended by most floor installers/refinishers.  It is available online or at home improvements stores,  It is very safe for hardwoods and works beautifully.

Honored Contributor

Bona cleaner

and I have someone come to wax them occasionally 

Trusted Contributor

@NWOL 

Thank you so much.  I have looked on the Internet, and there are just so very many opinions, I thought it best to come here for advice.  Thanks for your recommendation!

Honored Contributor

We can't wax ours so I use the products recommended by the installer.  Neither can we use water to clean them.   I think what we use is similar to Bona, but it is what they recommended and it is probably a lot more expensive than Bona but in order to keep my warranty, I use what they recommend, which is sold in their store.  ;-)

Frequent Contributor

We use Bona on our hardwood floors also! Works great with no streaking! Very pleased!

Respected Contributor

I have been in my home for 20 years and have used Bona exclusively.   They look beautiful.  My suggestion is to use as little water as possible.  Enjoy your floors!!!

Honored Contributor

My hardwood floors are  red oak that were placed down unfinished, sanded then sealed. They are not the prefinished ones that are available today.

mine were sealed with the finish that is used on professional basketball courts. I even have hardwood floors in my kitchen. Some hardwood floors are sealed differently.

I used to use Bona, but it made my floors dull and filmy.  I found a different product that works so much better.

You might have to experiment until you find a product that Is compatible with your flooring finish.  I also use a Bissell Crosswave with their hardwood cleaner.  Water does not hurt my floors.

B1099773-BBD1-40E3-8F88-DCA53EC87DB3.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie 

Thank you for taking the time to give me such a detailed answer.  I appreciate your time very much.  Thanks for the suggestions and the information.

Esteemed Contributor

Vinegar and water. Dust mop regularly. Swiffer wet pads also. Mine were sealed no pets.