Valued Contributor

Re: Putting shower in and taking tub out

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

Yep, in master bath... had tub and shower stall taken out... they put in a very large walk in shower and a closet instead, definitely the best thing we did to this house!

Yep, Absolutely!!

(The hall bath has a tub with a white curtain.
Still thinking about glass doors.... we will see...

Good for guests and a just in case if one ever needs a tub...)

We had glass doors in the hall bathtub at our first home and they were very hard to keep clean.  We use a rather plain shower curtain in our current house which we replace regularly and it is so much easier to clean.  We get no mildew in this arrangement.  We can dress up the shower curtain with fancy rings for more of a decorator feel.  Would never go back to glass doors on the bathtub.

Trusted Contributor

I wanted to do this for myself in my house. I do not use the tub and would have loved a roomy walk-in shower instead. However, my house is in New York City.  When I interviewed contractors to scope out the details and costs of replacing the tub with a shower, I was informed that it is against city code not to provide a tub if that's the only full bathroom. (it is) I would not be able to sell the house without restoring the bathroom to include a tub!  

It's not a matter of finding a buyer who "doesn't care" if there is only a shower and no tub. It violates city code to not have the tub. Therefore, if there were a mortgage involved for the buyer, the lender would expect to inspect the house, find it violates code and that could end the sale! Ideally, making that big change would mean I'd have to find a buyer who accepts the house without a tub, in violation, and also has the funds to buy without needing a loan, so the violation would not be objectionable!

Still stepping into the tub to turn on the shower all these years.  I own the house since 1983...still don't use the tub!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs .

Love my Onxy shower.  

Took out tub 15 years ago and put in shower.  As someone said, enjoy hand-held head and seat.

Also suggest having at least one tub in house for kids and soaking occasionally.  (DS bought home last year - liked three renovated bathrooms but reality of no tub set in.)

Trusted Contributor

We just did that. We removed the tub and put a beautiful showers. We actually redid the whole bathroom. We wanted to be ready in case we have to be downstairs. If I knew how to put a picture I would. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
@Kachina624 wrote:

The only problem might come when reselling the house.  People with children want at least one tub in the house.  Is there another?  Otherwise tub to shower conversions are quite common.

And dogs. 8)

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's called a tub conversion. A plumber can do it. Don't try it yourself.
Trusted Contributor

Wow, the Nanny State in full tilt, @gizmogal .

Ridiculous.

dee

@gizmogal wrote:

I wanted to do this for myself in my house. I do not use the tub and would have loved a roomy walk-in shower instead. However, my house is in New York City.  When I interviewed contractors to scope out the details and costs of replacing the tub with a shower, I was informed that it is against city code not to provide a tub if that's the only full bathroom. (it is) I would not be able to sell the house without restoring the bathroom to include a tub!  

It's not a matter of finding a buyer who "doesn't care" if there is only a shower and no tub. It violates city code to not have the tub. Therefore, if there were a mortgage involved for the buyer, the lender would expect to inspect the house, find it violates code and that could end the sale! Ideally, making that big change would mean I'd have to find a buyer who accepts the house without a tub, in violation, and also has the funds to buy without needing a loan, so the violation would not be objectionable!

Still stepping into the tub to turn on the shower all these years.  I own the house since 1983...still don't use the tub!

Honored Contributor

Yes, my brothers and I encouraged Mom to make her bathroom handicapped accessible and get rid of the bathtub.  

She agreed to take 5 ft from the 3rd bedroom to enlarge the bathroom with a 5 ft step in shower unit with seat, a pedestal sink, and raised toilet.   One of the best decisions ever.   

I would encourage you to update that bathroom to handicapped accessible while you are looking at the shower situation.

Honored Contributor

We added an addition to our former home in 2005.  In renovating a former bedroom we added a bathroom with a walk-in shower and no tub.  (We also added a walk-in closet and two linen closets.)  We had a tub/shower combination in another part of the house but never used it for ourselves again.  We loved the walk-in-shower.  We have two walk-in showers with no tub in our new home.  Love it too.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This seems to be the new "trend" removing bath tubs and putting big walk in showers with frameless doors.

I was "thinking" about doing this in our guest bathroom which is currently scheduled for remodel end of July.  My contractor was here today and convinced me not to do it, for resell reasons.  Funny thing, living in over55 community I wondered who wants a tub -- but he pointed out the potential buyers may have young grandchildren or kids.  

We have zero gravity walk in double shower in master bath area.  If there was a tub in there for sure I'd remove it.

I don't think I've used a bath tub since I was 10 nor am I one who would use it to relax in like I see these "couples" on House shows as a necessity.

If this tub/shower is in master and your hubby needs to "climb" over tub edge to get in shower -- yes I'd remove it!