Trusted Contributor

Re: Putting shower in and taking tub out

@gloriajean yes, my niece did remove the bath tub and she ordered from Ikea a walk in shower cabin.

The technician had to do the work and over all, the new shower was done in one day.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

We did it and loved it!! Now we still had a tub and shower combination in another bathroom so we did still have a tub.

Honored Contributor

My advice is do what suits you.  You never can anticipate what people want when buying a home. So make it yours and love it.

Honored Contributor

We built our home with just a shower in the master bathroom and we have just a shower in the lower level bath.

Our main bath has a tub and shower combo, so we have a tub in one bathroom that has never been used to take a bath in. My kids when smaller wanted to take showers too.

As you age, stepping into a tub can be dangerous.  If I was older, and I am, I would not hesitate to remove the tub to install just a shower unit, even if there wasn't a tub in another bathroom.  

When my house gets sold, I probably won't be around to see the buyers.  Some buyers who have toddlers need a tub, but not all buyers have toddlers.

I think it is a wonderful idea to get rid of the tub.  Be sure to have it installed with safety features like perhaps a seat and grab bars.

Esteemed Contributor

Do as you please but I'd have a bench seat installed the width of the shower and add a hand held sprayer to the shower head.

It's not just a we're getting older thing. DS and I have both suffered shoulder injuries. Putting a shower chair in and out of the shower would have been difficult if not impossible.

Honored Contributor

I am only concerned about the tub issue.  With family members in real estate, I learned a tub is important. We have a 2 1/2 bath.  One with no tub or shower, one with a step in  shower, and one with both, .  we did the bath with tub, we put shower in over tub 12 years ago. It is has. copper pipes, high end California made fixtures, a shower nozzle that is suppose to be like a rain shower head, but can pulsate. We installed handmade tiles from California to the ceiling.   We have never used it.  I hate showers and need a tub.  But we have it if we want to sell. Lol Which at our timing will be when the kids inherit it.  Lol

there are so many options for tub/ shower combos now.  It is a new world. If your tub is fiberglass, I would get a good porcelain tub, and add a shower   But that is me.  Or at least pipe it back of the wall in case you want one later.  Life takes us places we never thought we would be in.  If you plan on staying there, have only one bath, I might reconsider.  That would be fairly easy to do with old tub pulled out.

Respected Contributor

My friend hust had that done after her recent hip replacement. Not sure it's totally finished or not. I've thought about it myself. My bathroom is kinda tight, so not sure. I do have a full bath upstairs, too.

Super Contributor

My master bathroom had a bathtub and a walk in shower....the shower area was small and I almost never used the bathtub except when my granddaughters were little.... I removed both the bathtub and the shower....the bathtub area became a roomy shower area with a built in bench....the shower area was turned into a linen closet....upgraded everything...sinks...countertop...mirrors...lights...fixtures....flooring.....turned out beautiful...very happy with my remodeled bathroom .....

Respected Contributor

Yep, in master bath... had tub and shower stall taken out... they put in a very large walk in shower and a closet instead, definitely the best thing we did to this house!

Yep, Absolutely!!

(The hall bath has a tub with a white curtain.
Still thinking about glass doors.... we will see...

Good for guests and a just in case if one ever needs a tub...)

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had it done 3 years ago. No issues, but then I hired a professional to do it all. Love it. I have 2 other bathrooms that have a tub/shower combo.