Respected Contributor

Re: Putting shower in and taking tub out

If I wasn't planning on moving in the next few months, I'd replace my master tub with a large shower. I haven't sat in a bath tub for years.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

This seems to be the new "trend" removing bath tubs and putting big walk in showers with frameless doors.

I was "thinking" about doing this in our guest bathroom which is currently scheduled for remodel end of July.  My contractor was here today and convinced me not to do it, for resell reasons.  Funny thing, living in over55 community I wondered who wants a tub -- but he pointed out the potential buyers may have young grandchildren or kids.  

We have zero gravity walk in double shower in master bath area.  If there was a tub in there for sure I'd remove it.

I don't think I've used a bath tub since I was 10 nor am I one who would use it to relax in like I see these "couples" on House shows as a necessity.

If this tub/shower is in master and your hubby needs to "climb" over tub edge to get in shower -- yes I'd remove it!

@homedecor1 I decided about 10 years ago that I was absolutely going to stop letting contractors tell me what to do.  I regretted it EVERY time I let them do it.

They are sometimes too opinionaited and arrogant.  So my new answer to "I'd. . . " Is "Uh huh?  So do you want to do this job the way I said?"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

Oh I have a wonderful contractor and he's done every update and remodeling in my home.  

I value his opinion.  In fact, he usually brings me back to "reality in spending" too much on something.  He is the one who will send me to another supplier if he thinks something I choose is overpriced at a certain supplier.

The guest bath has a perfect tub and tile.  No need to do anything to it .. I just wanted to give it updated fresh look.

Esteemed Contributor

Sure thinking about it in the master bath. We'd like a walk-in shower instead of a small shower and jet bath tub that we don't use. Guest bathroom has a tub. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake 

Would definitely consider it for the master bath.  Not sure your age but I know at 63 it's not easy climbing into bathtub to shower when I'm home.  I am always afraid I'm going to trip into the tub -- that's a high ledge to get over.

Those I know who took them out are happy they did & boy does it look nice ...no chance of tripping and falling.

Regular Contributor

I did this back in the beginning of March.  I moved to a 2 bed, 2 bath condo.  Both baths had tubs.  Now that I'm senior, I wanted to plan for the possibility of needing a walk in shower.

I did a lot of research.  I did not want to spend a fortune.

I finally settled on Bath Fitters.  They were in and out in one day and the result is beautiful.

It's one of the best decisions I've made.