Respected Contributor

Re: Purging Papers - CC statements

[ Edited ]

I keep tax returns for 7 years.

CC statements I, physically, keep only this current year, until I do my taxes the following year. It is all kept inside one folder of this current year's bill statement/payment confirmations. In my email files I keep also payment confirmations for each month's cc statement, which I always pay in full.

I'm not sure how many years Citicards goes back for info online, but enough, I'm sure...I've never needed it so far....had this card for 20+ years.

Yes, I too cleaned out mom's home...dad had boxes of statements in the garage...I found tax returns dated back to the 60's. In fairness to them...you had to keep paper then. But I get it...not tax returns back to the 60's...there was only one, likely because something "happened" to keep record of that year. But..the shredding and shredding that took place for one week and then some...I broke one shredder of my own. And took several boxes to a friend who's husband offered to help by doing them with his office's weekly "bulk shredding", thankfully!!

Honored Contributor

what few financials  I have now,  are paperless and on the computer --but before I moved this January--I  shredded EVERYTHING except for tax docs  from 4 years ago (2017)---this next Jan I will shred the 2017 ones ----

Respected Contributor

I only keep the most recent month or 2 of CC bills.  Same goes for utility bills and bank statements.  

I used to keep them for a year or more and found I never referred back to them. Then it was a huge job to shred and discard.  Most, if not all, of these old records can be found online.

Honored Contributor

I only get a paper statement for 1 bill.  Once I pay it (on-line), I throw the statement in the shredder.

Anything else comes to me via an e-statement/bill.  I don't print them off.  I pay them and delete the e-mail.  If I ever need to verify I paid something, I can show the money being debited out of my checking account.    

Respected Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 I think that's really nice. I have also saved cards and letters from my loved ones. It's nice to go back and read what my Mom wrote to me. 

Honored Contributor

It comes in the mail.  I pay it the day it comes in and I shred it Immediately. No need to keep it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Other than the important papers that you need to keep, I shred all of my cc cards receipts, utility bills and bank statements every six months.  I usually choose the first day of June and the first day of December to take on that task.  

The only bill that I have taken out of our checking account automatically is for our health insurance.  All other bills I prefer to get a paper statement in the mail.  

I know online banking seems to be the way of the future but to us we just prefer to keep our banking information private for as long as we can.

I know that our way is considered old fashioned but we feel comfortable that way.

Respected Contributor

I go paperless any more.  Don't need all that paper.

Esteemed Contributor

My credit card statements are all online. There has not been one purchase or item that wasn't easily accessible to me to view online when I needed it (which is almost never)! I still receive a statement for the water bill, but that gets shredded as soon as I pay it.

Respected Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 wrote:

I shred cc statements every 3 or 4 months.

One thing I do hold onto are old cards - birthday cards, anniversary cards, Christmas cards, just the ones that have sweet notes from my loved ones written on the inside of the cards.  I have ones from my deceased loved ones, probably a whole box or two of those.  Can't seem to let go of them, with the pretty handwritings and notes, that bring back memories from my loved ones. Last time I purged those, I probably only threw away 5 of 6 of them.  Maybe someday I can let go......

Some things are worth holding on to.  If they bring you joy when remembering so be it.  I enjoy seeing the words or handwritten note from a loved one gone.  I have a trunk for those memories and my daughter can toss them when I'm gone.  I've done my share of cleaning out family members homes...I survived it.