Honored Contributor

had to get a new dryer today. purchased a Maytag 7.0 direct drive dryer. 

I read reviews on all. I refuse to puchase any LG's and Samsung's. Been bitten by both of those brands and nothing but trouble.

So I went to Lowes and looked all all they had. They had NO stackable dryers in the Maytag,Whirlpool,GE brands, they were all the regular dryers (get on hands and knees to get out dryer load).  the only stackable's were the 2 brands I will never purchase again.

Anyone had a Maytag direct drive dryer??

No matter which review I read, I couldn't find anyone one dryer that had many good comments that stood out. All I kept reading about was the negative remarks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Purchased new dryer today

@viva923  I would tend to take those reviews with a grain of salt.  I think people usually post a review when they've had a bad experience with an appliance.  Before I got my new heat pump 4-1/2 years ago, I checked reviews on many brands and found that even the most highly rated (and recommended by HVAC experts) brands had lots of bad reviews.  I got one of the less expensive ones, and it works just fine.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I hope you enjoy your new dryer and that it performs to your satisfaction for many many MANY years to come.   I have a 21 year old Maytag washer and dryer.

Trusted Contributor

@viva923 In my experience, the dryer usually way outlasts the washer no matter waht brand. As far as repairs, a dryer is much easier and less costly to repair. I have had maytag and lasted many years, 

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of a DIRECT DRIVE Dryer...is it something special?

Esteemed Contributor

What kind of dryer requires getting on your hands & knees to take the clothes out? Never heard of such a thing.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl - a lot of dryers can be stacked on the front load washers.  If you don't want to stack them and don't purchase the pedestal for it, they are waaay low to the floor.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@shaggygirl - a lot of dryers can be stacked on the front load washers.  If you don't want to stack them and don't purchase the pedestal for it, they are waaay low to the floor.

Aha, thanks for clarifying. I just couldn't imagine having to do that to unload a dryer. Never paid attention to the stackable kind to know how low they are without that base thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl

I have a GE Profile steel-drum dryer - and I'm only 4'10" - and I don't have to be on my knees to remove my clothes. Love this dryer.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

@shaggygirl

I have a GE Profile steel-drum dryer - and I'm only 4'10" - and I don't have to be on my knees to remove my clothes. Love this dryer.

Just out of curiosity I had gone and looked at some stackables on-line and never did see any that had the door so low I'd need to go down on hands & knees if not on the base. I think it was just an exaggeration to make the point that she didn't want to have to bend over what she considered to be too far.