Esteemed Contributor

Re: Problems with "tiny" homes

I think they're basically a novelty item and they're trying to unload them on people with $$$, who've always lived in big cities.

Honored Contributor

There is one here at our campground. It looks home made - and not well done but it's just a single guy living in there. He has very large propane tanks outside so I am assuming he is planning to stay the winter in it - our campground has some sites where the water can be left on all winter for year round camping but I believe the winter rent is very expensive, plus all the water and sewage lines have to be wrapped in heat tape that has to be heated 24/7 so the electric would be a lot too. Oh well, better him than me!

Honored Contributor

Those are some serious issues.  If I wanted something that small, I'd buy a Jayco trailer and head out on the road. The cost would be a lot less.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG  Yeah, a Jayco would be a definite improvement. Take it from someone who spends her summers every year in a 400 sq ft camper - it is much more efficient and comfortable than those tiny homes. No crawling up a ladder to get into my bed! 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@AuntG  Yeah, a Jayco would be a definite improvement. Take it from someone who spends her summers every year in a 400 sq ft camper - it is much more efficient and comfortable than those tiny homes. No crawling up a ladder to get into my bed! 

And be hunched over once you did get up there!  I couldn't imagine trying to make the bed or change sheets.

Last night I was watching Luxury Tiny Homes, most of them had a staircase but there were no bannisters or railings.

Nothing about any of them are my cup of tea.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Esteemed Contributor

I think they are just a fad and those people who got them will soon regret their decision...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The tiny homes that I have seen on tv do not appeal to me at all.  Some of them make me feel claustrophobic at the thought of living there full time.  (I am not looking to down size, but certainly understand the appeal of a small - not tiny house.)

I recall seeing one of those shows, where the little girl had to do her homework in her bunk bed - and there was not enough room for her to even sit up straight, she had to hunch over.  

I had no idea of the additional problems listed by OP until I read this. 

I do not view trailers (which of course come in a variety of sizes, for a variety of purposes) the same as those tiny houses.

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

Most of these tiny homes have a bedroom upstairs - where u have to climb a ladder. Imagine having to go to the bathroom (especially for a female) during the night!!!!! If the owner were not claustrophobic when they purchased them --- I'm sure they will be.

Trusted Contributor

I'd like to have a tiny house built behind my full size house, to use as a sewing studio.  Wouldn't need plumbing for that!  Smiley LOL

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"