Respected Contributor

Re: Preventing cats from kneading a rug

I found that wool rugs tend to be more attractive to my cats than synthetic fibers. The natural scent of the wool is almost irresistible to them.

They stretch and scratch a bit on the synthetics, but don't do near the damage they did on a wool rug.

Citrus spray did nothing to deter them.

Respected Contributor

We have two cats and I have had great luck with using clear packing tape on both furniture and rugs.  As another poster commented, after a time I was able to take the tape off and the cats left it alone.  I have also had really good luck with Sunbeam Anti-scratch Spray from Petsmart.  HTH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two-sided tape is what you're supposed to use for scratching.  The citrus spray won't help with that at all.  That's what you use if they're biting your wood furniture or something.

I just got a kitten and read lots and lots of articles as well as a book by an cat behaviorist.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I second the sticky tape.  If it's off the beaten path use a plastic rug runner with the nubby side UP so he won't want to walk/scratch there.  If there's a rug he particularly liked and you are discarding USE some of that rug to resurface his scratching pasts.  He already likes that material, might as well put it to good use.  You do have to make it worth their while NOT to do something.  Best of luck!

Honored Contributor

I have an area rug in my dining room under the table that the cat managed to scratch a hole clear through.  I turned the rug around, the hole is in the back of the room where no one can see it and she still goes to that spot.

I would much rather her scratch at a $200 area rug than $2,000 worth of living room furniture.

Esteemed Contributor

@ANewHue OMG, I recently posted about this very thing in the pet lovers section. New wool rug and the cat immediately decided it was a lovely scratch pad. And, yes, he has several ones purposed for his use. I finally took him to the vet and had his nails cut as short as they could and he hasn't worked the rug since. He will now be going for regular pedi's. LOL

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Preventing cats from kneading a rugL

@Carmie wrote:

Buy a set of Soft Claws, and put them over your cat’s nails. The cat will not be able to damage anything.

they are available from Chewy and other pet store retailers and are safe and humane.  They are supposed to last up to six weeks, but I think that is a big stretch.  It keep dogs from ruining hardwood floors too.

They come in clear and really cute colors. Doesn’t this kitty look adorable in Red.  I love the pink too.

9241A04A-26C0-40ED-84CC-BCF301E174DA.jpegB616A91A-29DB-4105-9CF4-B62A4115DD47.jpeg

Omg @Carmie. The cat on the left looks like my culprit.  Lol. Thanks I never knew these existed but this may just be what I need to try.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks again.

Super Contributor

I also recommend soft claws as well.  I have three kitties and they all wear them.  For my gals they last longer than 6 weeks.  They have saved my furniture.  Actually, I lost a baby last Sunday due to bladder cancer.  She had them on her little toes as well.  I miss her so much.    

Honored Contributor

@luvboyds  I'm really sorry for your loss. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@luvboyds  I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs to you