Occasional Contributor

Pretty neat idea for your home

Recently during my hunt for new kitchen designs and storage ideas I bumped up upon this. Thought of it as a pretty neat idea to keep more items in kitchen. The roller drawer may look classy but can be a costly implementation. DIY tricks can make it affordable but still I think it's a cool thing to have in your home. What are your views about it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Pretty neat idea for your home

I had a corner cabinet with a lazy susan in my Pa home. I put my pots and pans in there and quickly found that they were too heavy and broke the plastic shelves. After we had that repaired I moved food products to there thinking they were lighter in weight but the stuff would fall off the shelf and be caught in the back and I would have to crawl in there to retrieve them. Plus, the food was also too heavy and broke the shelves. It is a good idea in theory but did not work out well for me.
Contributor

I've had lazy Susans in the kitchen forever.

The first one has all my baking products: baking chips, baking powder and soda, molasses, corn syrups and my bagged spices from Penzey's. The second lazy Susan has the dry cat food and the food containers. And a few casseroles from my mom. We've never had a problem with lazy Susans. A good way for storage and I don't have to root around in the back of a cabinet for anything.

Super Contributor

I store my small appliances in mine....crock pots, pop corn popper....things like that. Handy to get at and the baking items and extra food are in the pantry shelves instead.

Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}I have exactly that configuration in my kitchen - my spices are there along with other goodies - has held up fine over the years and a good space saver - I have one in the above cabinet too for bowls, glassware too and that is perfect - a space saver and organizer indeed.

Super Contributor

I had one in my old home, exactly that corner, it was a lifesaver. I kept some canned goods in it along with some pots and pans, then kept some small cooking appliances on the lower tier so they didn't clutter up my counter space. Our kitchen now has the proper cabinet doors to accommodate a lazy susan, but only has regular shelves. It is such a pain when I have to get down on my hands and knees and pull out a bunch of pots and pans to get to something I need. Life would be much easier if I installed one but it's one of those "get around to it" things I never get around to. Definitely would have one or more in my kitchen cabinets if the cabinet configuration allowed it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

Our cabin as that and there is no way my dad paid a lot for it. It was built into the cabinets he bought from Home Depot. We keep our coffee, tea, and filters in it.
Honored Contributor

My kitchen was designed by my brother, a retired building contractor, who has remodeled many old homes and built countless new homes. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I have a Lazy Susan in my bottom cupboard. I store Lock & Lock and Tupperware with lids on the top shelf and pitchers and jars and other misc. items on the bottom shelf. The only problem I have is on occasion one of the items drops off the side and I have to retrieve the item from the back of the LS.

I also have a 3 shelf Lazy Susan in my top cupboard with an appliance garage underneath. I store my spices (A to Z) and other dry condiments on the middle shelf and cake and cookie mixes and other boxed items on the top shelf. The bottom shelf includes muffin tins, salt and pepper, baking supplies and other misc. items. The appliance garage includes hand mixer, a small and large crock pot and coffee supplies.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I had a shelf like this above and below in another house....worked great but I never put heavy pots and pans on it...in my next house I want only drawers on the lower part and cabinets above....I hate lower cabinets and having to stand on my head to find things!

Honored Contributor

I have my pots and pans in mine and LOVE it. My shelves are wood instead of plastic.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."