Honored Contributor

Re: Pretty and Traditional Formal Dining Room

I agree that it is traditional, but I don't think I'd call it formal.  As I said earlier, it's not a style that I would choose, but it's very nice.  And the most important thing would be the people who gather there.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I agree that it is traditional, but I don't think I'd call it formal.  As I said earlier, it's not a style that I would choose, but it's very nice.  And the most important thing would be the people who gather there.

@faeriemoon ... I guess I wouldn't define it as overly 'formal' either... I think the designation is with respect to someone having a room dedicated to dining, often labeled a 'formal' dining room, even when the room isn't particularly formal... 

Woman Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@faeriemoon ... I guess I wouldn't define it as overly 'formal' either... I think the designation is with respect to someone having a room dedicated to dining, often labeled a 'formal' dining room, even when the room isn't particularly formal... 

Woman Very Happy

Agree. While not my style (anymore), I can surely appreciate the elegance of this room. Love built-ins too. That is one thing that new construction doesn't offer. I'll take the solid, well built older home (pre-50's) any day. (Just not the furnishings)Smiley Very Happy

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby  I agree. While there's something seductive about an all new, perfectly clean and fresh environment, other than a complete custom build, you're not likely to find unique features or the quality construction more frequently found in older homes.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...