Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff  - Hi Donna!

I am so sorry to hear about your shoulder.  I can’t imagine the pain you are in.  My DH’s older sister (now 88) had a shoulder replacement several years ago.  While nothing like that is fun to be sure, it was very effective for her problem.  Previously, she had a knee replacement.  Life is full of surprises, and not all happy.  I know.

Sounds like you are coping well with the heat.  A few weeks back we were eating way too much ice cream every day and such, but I finally called a halt.  I must lose weight!  It’s hard!

We have started making several pitchers of fruit-infused water in place of other stuff.  Combination of lemon and lime, and also strawberry infused is good.  You don’t need too much fruit, and we remove the fruit from the water after about a day.

Glad your new book arrived!  And it sounds like your sweet

Katie is enjoying her view!

This has been a bit challenging here.  In early June I thought I just had seasonal allergies and stupidly let things go too far.  Tight chest, hacking cough, etc.  Went to Urgent Care over a weekend, chest x-ray clear, z-pack ordered, but radiologist’s report there could be a problem with my aorta.  Say what?

No previous problems, but I have a checkup with my cardiologist once a year.

Doctor is old and cranky, blah blah blah “ignore it,” but I said I just wouldn’t do that,  So he schedules an invasive test in the hospital.  How could I go through this when coughing like a dog anyway?  Too much, too soon.

I made an appointment with my pulmonary doc, who is a wonder.  She is very caring.  I now have an inhaler, an emergency inhaler, and she lined me up with my first outpatient test and second outpatient test.  I told her I needed a new cardiologist, so she called a doc in a practice associated with a hospital here best in cardiac care.  I am going in Friday to meet him.  Meanwhile, my tests do not reveal any heart problems.

OK, so my chest congestion and cough, etc. reappeared.  I thought I was getting better, but no.  So I am now in my second day of a “prednisone flash treatment.”  Like 4 prednisone pills a day for 3 days, then start to taper off.  I am wired, not sleeping at all, can’t concentrate to read, just watching tv, etc.  Tummy not good.  Little appetite (now that’s good).  Watching tv, no news, watched two Hallmark movies.

A sad tale.  

Sorry to dump on you.  I will give you my Etsy history when we next connect.  So much cruising on Etsy.

I do hope your shot will help with your pain.  It’s so hard to be in pain.  Learned that when I volunteered for years on a skilled nursing floor at a nursing home.  Likely why I take a pound of supplements to every day, a doctor for every body part, yet ignore an issue that the village idiot would have dealt with!

All my best!

Pam

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful!!

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT   Oh, Pam! I'm so sorry that you have been having

chest congestion and coughing issues. How scary that you were told that you could have aorta problems. It is reassuring that your tests show no heart problems.

I hope that the inhalers and prednisone help and that you will feel better soon. Hopefully, you will like your new cardiologist.

It is so important to find doctors that you trust and are comfortable with. I have had a few that I had to leave behind.

I like and have confidence in all the doctors that I have now.

I'm not happy with the shoulder surgery idea. Was it very difficult for your sister in law to have that surgery? Was it a long recovery? Is she pain free now? Just the idea of it, creeps me out. Last year another doctor told me that I need knee replacement. I'm living with the pain for now. I have a friend  who uses CBD cream and swears by it, to help with pain. She said that she will get some for me. I'll try it.

Your fruit infused water sounds nice. I have been drinking 1/2 gallon of water each day for years now. It is necessary to prevent kidney stones from growing. I have many tiny ones.

Twice I needed to have lithotripsy to blast kidney stones that were too large and very painful. I have been drinking warm water with fresh lemon juice every morning. It is supposed to be effective in preventing the growth of kidney stones and some believe they help to dissolve them. This past week, it has been too  hot to drink that in the morning. Instead I have been drinking orange juice  and lemonade and iced coffee with meals. All those drinks are sugary and not conducive to losing weight. I'm still drinking water all day between meals.

I would love to hear about your Etsy finds. I have very low resistance to temptation, so I avoid looking. I tell myself that I

don't need anything, but I know that if I look, I'll see things that want.

Yesterday, I know was Gem Day and I didn't even look. Years ago, I wouldn't have missed it. In the 90's and early 2000's I bought a lot at great prices and have many collections.

I would not be able to buy those pieces at today's prices. We did go to a jewelry shop in Maine and I got a bracelet and a pendant in silver. My husband bought them for me as an anniversary gift. Years ago, I bought gold for what silver pieces cost now.

I read in another post that you found a couple of pieces for your birthday.  When is your birthday? What are the two pieces like? I hope that you will enjoy them and wear them in good health. We don't need it, but jewelry is eye candy and it is fun.

It is just one of life's little pleasures.

Let's hope that you can get a good night's sleep and feel better when you taper off the prednisone.

Take care,

Donna

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Porch is Ready

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff  - Hi Donna!

If it’s ok, I thought I would just address your medical questions today and offer my experiences, my thoughts, just what I have learned myself and through others.  I do certainly hope your pain is better!

First, my SIL would never have elective surgery unless she felt compelled to do so.  She is a very determined and stoic person.  Far less emotional than I am.  She’s an active person, always been, loved to play golf with her late DH quite a bit.

So I gather she did quite well, with a good outcome with her knee replacement and shoulder replacement later on.  She is still active, in her late 80s. Her surgeries went well, and her aftercare and PT went as expected.  She lives pretty much pain free.

I guess I would have a serious conversation with my doctor to ask the outcome, long term, of (1) having surgery or (2) not having surgery.  And what could be done to handle long term pain if you don’t have it.  I can tell you, from earlier experiences with my back, cortisone shots will help with pain, but the effects lessen with time.  And I believe maybe 2 or so shots a year max.  I would be very frank, asking for specific examples.

Nobody wants surgery.  But you do need the full story, with examples, and from at least two doctors.  It would be wonderful if the pain cream helped you with your knee, and I hope it works well.

On the other hand, you likely know that things like this don’t get better.  And the younger you are, the better off you are if you decide on surgery.  My SIL was certainly not young.

From my experiences -

My dear Mom was born with a heart defect that obviously could have not been corrected earlier in her life.  She was born in 1919.  Late in her life, it became a problem, but doctors were reluctant to operate.  She was too old and frail.

Vein problems run in my mother’s family, in the legs.  Well, I started with symptoms and put treatments off.  I can’t tell you the agony I ended up with.  A great vascular vein doc fixed me up, with upteen treatments.  I have been fine for years now, going in for a checkup once a year.

By the time I took my bone health seriously, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis.  Runs in my family.  I did take calcium, but no one ever suggested checking my vitamin D level.  Well, my Vitamin D level was nil.  That’s probably one of the reasons I try to research and be much more proactive.  I still go to a Bone Clinic at UConn twice a year for Prolia shots.  It has worked well, but I must continue to keep my level one step down from osteoporosis.  I guess calcium supplements only work so far without good levels of Vitamin D.

Finally, I mentioned that I volunteered for years on a skilled nursing floor at a large nursing home.  A day a week, after my dear mom passed.  I saw some in much pain because treatments had not been available when they were younger.  And pain meds at that point in life only go so far.  And I do consider so many of us will be living longer.

I will get onto our jewelry - fun talk tomorrow or so.  But for now...I will tell you a cute story about one of the two nursing home residents I knew and loved so much, although I did love each one.  They were on that floor for years before they passed!

My “pet” Angelina was quite the pistol.  Gave the nuns a hard time, and oh she was a character.  I loved her, and she loved me.  She had spunk!  One day she complained how she could never sleep well at night.  I knew she had pain and slept in her recliner,  but what was up?  So I asked:  What is different?  What are you doing late at night (she was a night owl)?Answer:  I watch tv before sleep.  My question:  What are you watching?  Her answer:  “Night of the Living Dead”  Well, you’d have to know her.  There is no volunteering at these places now with our viruses.  And Angie passed years ago.  And I still miss her.  We were family.

All my best to you, dear Donna.  I am off to meet my new cardiologist this afternoon.  Looks quite young from his picture,  I think I have clothes older than this guy!

Best wishes!  

Pam

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT 

Hi Pam,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me with your post. Has the Prednisone helped you at all? Are you able to sleep

better?

How was the appointment with your new cardiologist?

Did you like him?

I know what you mean about young looking doctors. At first, I felt that they would not have the experience of older doctors. Then I decided that I like having young doctors because they would know more about the newest medical developments and treatments. I knew that I was getting old when doctors and police officers starting looking like kids to me.

My new orthopedic doctor is young also. He is very nice.

It has been a week since the injection that he gave me and it may be a little better, but not pain free. He did say the same thing that you said about the cortisone injections being less effective over time. My friend has not brought the CBD cream to me yet. I know that it will not be a cure and I will have to make decisions about surgery.

I'm glad that your SIL has had successful surgeries and is

mostly pain free. I'm sorry that your mother had to suffer with her heart defect. We are fortunate that medicine has advanced so much in our lifetime.

You have certainly had your share of medical issues. It is wonderful that you found the right doctor to treat your vein problems.

Vitamin D seems to be what doctors are now prescribing

for bone health. Both my daughter and I have osteopenia and take D3. I could never take calcium supplements because of the kidney stones. I do eat yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream and milk. It is good that the Prolia is helping you. Vitamin D is

needed for the absorption of calcium. That is why they add it to milk. Most of us living in the North have a deficiency of Vitamin D. When my mother was young, they were given cod liver oil every day. That must not have been pleasant, but that was before D was added to milk. Now we can get fish oil capsules, but that is not tolerated by everyone. I tried them years ago, but they bothered my stomach.

Angelina from the nursing home sounds like she was a character. Was the show she watched, about zombies? One of my daughters used to watch a show about zombies. That may have been it. It does seem unusual that an elderly lady in a nursing home would be interested in a show like that.

It reminded me of my sister in law's father, whose choice of TV entertainment was not what one would expect.

He came here from Hong Kong in the 50's with his wife and two little daughters. He was an educated scientist. He worked at Tufts University and he did primary research on electron microscopes. When he retired, he read his Chinese newspapers

every day and his favorite TV shows were wrestlers. We thought that was amusing and not what one would expect him to enjoy. He loved watching wrestling. He lived to be 96 years old. He had a sister still living in China who was over 100.

When you get a chance, I would love to hear about your jewelry. It is a fun topic.

Well, Its time to pack it up and go to bed. I hope that you are feeling better.

Take care,

Donna

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff 

Hi Donna!

How are you doing?  This heat is really something, isn’t it?  It makes you feel like you are living in the tropics.

I am glad you had that shot in your knee, and I am sure it will help you.  You don’t have to make any quick decisions, and your young orthopedic doctor will take very good care of you.

It is good that you are able to get your Vitamin D from other sources other than pills.  Where I am being treated, I learned that some women are taking too much calcium, just following the manufacturer’s directions.  I guess that’s why I had to submit a list of any calcium I take on a daily basis, derived from all sources.  I think my aim is about 1,000 units a day.

Thanks for asking about my bronchitis.  The prednisone did it’s job, and I am so grateful for that.  And my visit with my new cardiologist went very well.  He spent a good amount of time with me, even working with a model of the heart to explain how it all works.  I am lucky to have him.  And yes, he looks like a kid to me.  But when you are turning 78, well, so many people look like kids.

I bought the special JAI necklace on jewelry day,  but am returning it.  It’s nice, but I didn’t fall in love with it.  When you spend $$$, You should love. And my goal is to perhaps layer necklaces, wearing the bigger piece from my collection.

I bought the package of five gemstone small solitaire earrings for my GD.  They are pretty, come in separate boxes, which will be nice for Christmas or more.  I purchased the big buy paperclip chains with stones necklaces for gifts,  but am returning two.  GD will get one.

I did read about your wonderful collection.  It is great to have variety.  

My new source to drool over, from a little site on Etsy to major site online, is Zealandia jewelry.  Discovered it at a gift shop in Shelburn Falls MA.  Very unique designs, sourced from ancient bones, nuts, etc.  Unique designs, to be sure.  I have three small pieces, a little bird necklace, two bees on a honeycomb necklace, and matching bee earrings.  Not cheap but well worth it.

I love all types of jewelry.  I have a few antique pieces, a few cameos as well.  Some gold, bought when affordable.  Good amount of silver.  I like Southwestern jewelry, and have my stache of some Sleeping Beauty.  Some pearls, not crazy expensive.  I am very attracted to colored stones, and have a good variety of pendants and earrings.  Big collection of earrings.  What was I thinking???

I see Susan Shaw jewelry online, looks like a nice substitute for gold, but have not bought any.  I love looking at Etsy jewelry, from retired Tiffany to most anything there.

I have some pieces I bought at museum shops, including some baroque pearls I bought for a song,  Before he retired, my DD and I followed one jeweler at a juried craft show in the area once a year.  His silver jewelry, with some touches of gold, is a treasure.  He was a sculptor by training.  Just a few of his pieces in my collection.  Juried craft shows...what a temptation.

Oh, I have a pendant with gold and a silver set with a carved cameo-like figure - both from fossil bone in Alaska.  The only cruise we ever went on, and Juneau was quite a stop for jewelry shoppers.

Well, just look at it this way.  Don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t gamble.  Everybody needs a flaw or two.  And jewelry brings so much joy and can be passed down.  I have a one of those round watches ladies used to wear around their necks way back when - it belonged to my great-grandmother.  I wear my GM’s engagement diamond on my right hand, as did my mother.  I did have it reset, and I always wear it.  Wedding set on other hand, so very few rings in my collection.

I will try to make list of interesting sites.  Please take care of yourself in this heat!  I went off my diet but now am back on...

it was ice cream that really did it!

All my best,

Pam

Shhhh!  August 18th is the big day!  Wow, 1944...during WWII.

My Dad was in the service, and I wuz born in an Army hospital.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT 

Hi Pam,

It is great that the prednisone has helped you to feel better.

It is bad enough to have to contend with this extreme heat and humidity, without being sick on top of that. It is wonderful that you like your new young doctor and that he took some time with you. Many doctors today, seem to be so rushed.

I'm a little disappointed with the injection that I had in my shoulder. It has only helped a little with the pain. Today, my friend brought over the CBD cream and I'll try a little on my knee first. If it helps, I'll try it on my shoulder and arm.

You do have some interesting and unusual jewelry pieces.

I had never heard of Zealandia Jewelry. I'll have to check it out. (Not that I'm looking to buy more)

I'm a lot like you in that I do not have activities or vices that I spend money on. I have spent more than my share on shoes and Dooney & Bourke bags. But now that I no longer work, I don't buy bags. When we went to Maine, I wasn't even tempted to visit the Dooney & Bourke outlet in Freeport. In the summer, I use Vera Bradley bags. They aren't as heavy as the leather bags. I like straw bags in the summer too, but I hardly leave the house since Covid is still out there. I have given some bags away and I still have way too many. I should see if any of my girls would like some of them.

With arthritis in my feet, I mostly wear my Clark's and Birkenstocks. I probably have a couple of dozen pairs of Birkenstocks and the most recent purchases have been the ones with soft footbeds. I just can't wear cute shoes with heels anymore. Even having gotten rid of the heels, I still have more pairs of shoes than I can count.

So, jewelry; there is always room for more. Whenever I have travelled, it is jewelry that I am drawn to buying. Years ago, when we first started going to Bermuda, I bought coral and later gold. I filled a gold charm bracelet by purchasing a charm

on each trip there.

In Maine, it has been Tourmaline and Native American Eastern Woodlands jewelry.

In Italy, I filled a gold charm bracelet by collecting charms in

each region we visited. In Tivoli, I bought cameos from the artists there. I have one other cameo that my first husband gave me many years ago.

On the last trip to Maine, I got a Plique a Jour enamel and silver dragonfly pendant with tiny diamonds on the body. It is from an artist named Nicole Barr. I also got a silver bracelet with two aqua chalcedony stones on top, with a aqua crystal quartz between them.

You have a varied collection and I also love all kinds including family heirlooms and antique pieces. It is wonderful

that you have a watch that belonged to your great grandmother.

I love that you have inherited your grandmother's engagement

diamond and your mother wore it also. Doesn't it make you feel that an essence of their spirits are with you, when you wear that ring and also the watch, if you wear that?

I have my mother's engagement diamond and had it reset as a

pendant. I don't wear it all the time, but I feel close to her, when I do wear it.

Your baroque pearls must be very pretty. I don't have any of those. The best pearls that I have is the necklace that my present husband gave me as a wedding gift. Then there are all the Honora pearls and fashion pearls by Joan Rivers and KJL

and some from the Jackie Kennedy collection that the Q sold.

Do you have any of the Honora or Joan Rivers?

I don't watch QVC jewelry shows anymore. In the 90's, I bought so much gold on QVC and the prices were great back then. My best friend and I really went to town buying jewelry back then, but not just from the Q. From Filene's and Jordan Marsh (later it was bought by Macy's) we bought a lot of LeVian jewelry when they had sales. It was so addictive, but fun.

Like you, museum shops were also a source for me, especially for Egyptian style jewelry. Then it was the Southwest silver and turquoise. My first pieces were a silver ring and bracelet  with a Thunderbird and turquoise. I bought it

at a little shop on the Penobscot reservation in Old Town Maine when I was eight years old. The rest came from Native American shops in the Northeast, online from shops in New Mexico and Arizona and at powwows. Also some from Carolyn Pollock on the Q. I never went to the Southwest.

About ten years ago, I collected turquoise that came from various mines; like Dry Creek, Number 8, Kingman, White Buffalo, Sleeping Beauty and a couple others.

From what sources did you purchase your Southwest pieces?

With a love of turquoise and anything aqua, I fell in love with larimar and collected that. The most recent pieces came from the Larimar Shop in DR, from their website. 

Pam, I'm ending this post here, because there seems to be a problem. I hope that I don't lose all that I've typed so far. My techie son is helping me.

I'll continue in another post.

Donna

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT 

Hi Pam, I'm back. My son saved the previous post. It's great to have an IT person right here!

You mentioned colored stones. Aren't they fabulous? Ever since I was a little girl, I collected pretty rocks and seashells. I have always been fascinated and amazed that the earth and the ocean give us such beauty. I also got hooked on collecting colored gems. What are your favorites?

Years ago I joined a rock and mineral club and that got me 

interested in going to the rock and gem shows, but only on the east coast. After two years of none around here, there was one in May. I found an aquaprase and this week, I spoke to a jeweler in Maine about having it set into a pendant.

At the same gem show, I bought a watermelon tourmaline that I plan on having set into a ring.

Last year, I found an aquaprase ring on an Etsy website and got that. Also last year, I found an ametrine ring. I had been looking for one for a while.

I don't plan on purchasing anymore jewelry. I have way more than enough. I have been giving pieces to my girls. Three times, I have set out rings and let them each pick one. But I still have a lot. I thought that maybe I had 75 - 80. I shocked myself when I counted them all, 100! I could really open a shop. Many I bought before arthritis enlarged my knuckles, so

my girls can enjoy those.

No one in the family really knows how much jewelry there is. They just know that I have a lot, stored in many locations in the house.

I like your philosophy about not drinking, gambling or smoking. At least we have something to show for the money we spent. We could sell it or pass it along to others to enjoy and to remember us.

I know that you picked out pieces for your bithday this month. Do you have peridot collection? Two of my great grand daughters are August babies. Enjoy your birthday jewelry.

I was born on Mother's Day 1947. I do have some emeralds.

Good for you, going back on your diet. I can't stop eating ice cream right now, but I do need to start eliminating some carbs.

I go back to the cardiologist in Sept. He was very pleased with my bloodwork and weight loss in June. But then, vacation and eating more and now this heat and I'm eating bread, cold pasta salads and ice cream and lemonade and iced tea, iced coffee with sugar. I really don't want to cook and my husband doesn't eat vegetable salads. He could eat meat and potatoes in the hotest weather. We have been having some sandwiches, but he is not loving it. Oh, well!

Stay well and stay cool,

Donna

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT 

Hi Pam,

How are your doing in this extreme heat? This is another day to just stay inside. It is predicted that we might see 78

by Saturday. It is supposed to rain and then get a little cooler and

less humid. It rained for about a half hour yesterday and it just made everything steamier. It is probably about the same, where you are. Hopefully cooler weather is in sight.

I just checked out the Zealandia website and the jewelry is

exquisite. A list of all the shops where it is sold is given. There are a few shops in MA and in Maine. I have yet to look on Etsy. The mermaids , goddesses and cats interest me. I like the pieces with gemstones in the designs.

The style elements in some of the pieces reminded me of

silver jewelry made in Bali. Reading about the designers, I saw that one is a young man from Bali. Years ago, I collected goddess jewelry from Bali. It was silver and gems, with the goddess faces carved from bone. I have given some of the goddess pendants to my four girls and I kept two for myself.

Have you purchased any Zealandia pieces? I am tempted,

but I don't really need anything. Did I ever "need" any jewelry?

I guess it is not really a question of "need".

My husband starts in October asking what I would like for Christmas. I always tell him that I don't need anything , but he

hounds me almost weekly until I find something. He would rather I tell him than not. He is not creative in gift giving and if I

tell him what I would like, it is easier for him.

Since covid, I've mostly shopped online and usually can find something that he can purchase. Two years ago, I found a handmade owl necklace on Etsy, for my birthday.

The necklace part is small copper and bronze beads. The owl

is tiny seed beads outlining a turquoise color gem silica body and a carved bone face. The face was made by a woman in Russia, who carves the face and paints the owl eyes and beak.

Also incorporated into the design is a small faceted moonstone

on the owl's shoulder.

This past birthday, he bought an Irish knit cardigan from QVC's St. Patrick's Day show. It is pearl gray merino wool.

I had been looking for a gray cardigan, so that was a perfect birthday gift. I had him put it away until May.

Will you wear your new jewelry, before your birthday or will

you save it until the 18th? Or, were those the pieces that you returned? If you did return those designated as your gifts, you

might like something from Zealandia for your birthday. Their collection is beautiful and unusual designs. You would have a unique and special piece.

I hope that you are staying cool and safely indoors,

Donna

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff

Hi Donna!

We are surviving the heat here, thankful for AC.  We are eating very lightly, with the exception of ice cream.  Fruit is fine for snacking,  but it can’t compete with ice cream.

You certainly have quite a varied and wonderful collection of jewelry.  We can enjoy collecting and wearing, and it will be our legacy to be passed down.  I am so happy that you like the Zealandia line.  I just have three small pieces, but it would be easy to go crazy.  

I like those with gems, as you do.  But then I see what I have and ever seem to wear.  I have some JAI pieces (gemstone pieces), just so pretty.  A while back I just had to have some

Madeira citrine, earrings and pendant, never wear.  I do have some amber, which I thought would be perfect for the fall....

never wear.  My fancier jewelry (yup had to have) Is hardly even worn, afraid of losing.  Although I did buy a few little safety chains from Amazon. For added security.

I do like gold and have some.  I did lose one little gold and diamond hoop earring and said never again.  I tend to lose earrings somehow.  I have bought some white topaz studs (JAI) and such for sparkle.  Also love colored stones.

Have you ever heard of Herkimer jewelry?  The Herkimer mine is in NY state and produces the nice natural crystal that is starting to become more well known.  HSN sells it, and some on Etsy and maybe other sites.  The simple drop earrings are so pretty, and I gave some to the girls.  Loved them.  Quite affordable.

I also bought copies of the crazy expensive little clover jewelry (white pearl finish) from Etsy.  Many ladies on TV wear it.  Small scale, close to neck.  The girls each got one on Mother’s Day and loved them.  You have to be mindful of the size, as some can be too teeny weeny.

I did pick out some gold fleur de lis drop earrings for my big day. Found a fairly large fleur de lis pendant on Etsy, gold plated, made in Turkey.  It really looks good.  Will wear them on Saturday night when going out for dinner.

Your Irish sweater sounds so pretty.  I like them too.  They last forever, very classic, and so warm.  For a while I bought one a year.  Always love the Irish shows on QVC.  Like Irish jewelry, too.  what a surprise.  Don’t have much.

I hope you are feeling better and that your shot is working.  I am finally done with my Bronchitis and all my heart tests.  Hope you will get yourself something from Zealandia - the goddess pieces are really something!  You deserve one!

Take care, stay well!

All my best,

Pam