Respected Contributor

@Love4cats  Thank you. It is lovely to have meals outside, but it is too hot to do that now.

Respected Contributor

Re: Porch is Ready

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff   Beautiful porch!  I love it.  I’ll have a lemonade with extra ice!  Hot all over the country.  Thanks for sharing!  I would love morning coffee out there!

Respected Contributor

@lynnie61  Thank you. I'll see you there when the temperature and humidity go down a bit.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Enufstuff,

I wanted to reply to your message here.

Maybe a kitty shrink could analyze Winston and his liking for leather and for shrink-wrapped stuff.  Yes, we have to be careful. No closet doors ever kept open, shoes put away, shoes taken off in FR put in kitchen closet. Handbag In use stashed in kitchen closet.  

But, of course, the little prince rules the day.  He is a kisser, a lap sitter when he feels like it, total charmer when he wants to be.  As he is so active, when we have gone away (and not far with COVID), we know he would not do well in a cage at the vets.  Our kids live too far away here just to hop by a few times of the day.  So his lordship goes to a kitty hotel.  Each cat has their own room, etc. etc.  Sometimes I am convinced we are crazy.

How wonderful you and hubby took a Viking cruise.  We get brochures, and it sure looks wonderful.  We have only been on one cruise (Alaska), and we have been fortunate to take other trips way before COVID, and on our own.  We have never been to Italy and Ireland, but not now with COVID.  Never saw what you saw in Austria - only Salzberg.  The Viking cruises look very appealing, and I do know they are not inexpensive - but you get what you pay for.

Wishing you well,

Pam

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT   Hi Pam,

Another hot one here!  How are you surviving?

It does sound like Prince Winston rules the house. I once read

"Dogs have masters and cats have staff".  Without speaking a word, Katie tells us what she wants. Jokingly, I tell my husband and son that she sends telepathic message to us.

It is fun to spoil our fur babies, unless they get too demanding. Every time my husband tells me about cute cats that he sees, who are available for adoption at Pet Smart, I tell him that Katie enjoys being an only child. But she did love her sister and we could not replace her.

We are fortunate that my son still lives at home and he was on vacation from work when we went to Maine. So, he and Katie had quality time.

How does Winston do at his cat "hotel"?  Years ago a co-worker at school, took a leave of absence to open a cat hotel.

She called it "Cats Pajamas Inn". She did that for a couple of years, then came back to the school department.

You are right, Viking Cruises are pricey. We get brochures in the mail almost weekly and they have even called here to offer deals to take another trip. Now that I am retired, I would not be able to finance another trip like that. We were lucky that we had a chance to travel before covid.

In 2006 we went to Italy  and I loved Italy and could have stayed there to live, except for the fact that my children are here. The year before, I took two semesters of Italian at a nearby college.

My brother, who is a Latin professor and has been going to Italy for years, gave me a set of Pimsleur Italian Lesson CDs. I thought that my

husband and I could work together at home with those.

We tried once and my husband, didn't even try, so I did it on my own. In Italy, nearly every day, he was asking me "How do you say, where is the bathroom?".

He is 84 now, and I don't seeing us flying anywhere as far as

Europe, again. If things get better with covid, maybe we would fly to Bermuda. Since the 70's that island has been my favorite vacation place.

The flight is only 1 1/2 hours. I have been there 15 times and would go back there in a minute, if it were'nt for covid. Maybe next spring.

Your Alaskan Cruise must have been fabulous. I have a close friend who went years ago and said that it was the best vacation, ever.

So many things beyond our control, have changed our lives and put a monkey wrench into our plans. This is not what I imagined my retirement to be. (Almost living under house arrest)

We just have to make the best of our situation and try to be

positive to live each day the best we can. Things could be worse, I hope that they don't go that way.

These past two years, I have done so much online shopping. Yesterday a new ice crusher blender arrived and today a set of pina colada glasses. I think I'll call my middle daughter, who is vegetarian to come here after work for pina coladas and I'll make pesto pasta for dinner.

The last time she and I had pina coladas together was on the beach in Bermuda in 2011. I could play some Bob Marley reggae and some old Bermuda island music and we could imagine being there again, looking at pine trees instead of palm trees.

Take care and stay cool,

Donna

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff - Hello Donna!

Winston sends his best regards to Katie!  I believe you are correct that some kitties are better off as “only children.”  

Winston likes much activity, followed by his naps of exhaustion.  Sometimes I think he would like a companion kitty,  but I don’t think he would share attention well at all.

The cat hotel is very nice, each separate room “decorated in a specific theme,” if you can imagine.  The care is very good, and they communicate with pet parents every day.  Winston tends to constipation, and has to have some medicinal paste every day.  So we need folks who will take this seriously.  

I completely agree with you about COVID issues.  Who would have thought it?  My DH’s nephew is a doc who works in a hospital taking care of COVID patients.  We have followed the protocols strictly.  Our DD works in research at a university in CT, and she is always watching out for us.  

Unfortunately, our SIL’s Dad did not.  Nice man, but stubborn.

Our SIL was so frustrated, but Dad finally agreed to get the vaccine.

Too late, he got COVID, spent time in the hospital, and now has very seriously damaged lungs.  It is very bad, as he will be on oxygen 24/7 for the rest of his life.  We feel terrible for him.

On a happier note, how wonderful that you went to Italy!  My DD and SIL went right before everything hit.  They loved it! Went to Rome, Venice, and Florence.  They stayed at an inn in the countryside in Florence.  I bet I would love living there myself.  

Wowee!  How wonderful that you have been to Bermuda so many times.  We have never been!  How lucky you are.   But do not discount traveling to Europe with DH’s age.  You could go on off times, at your own pace, etc., and do well.  That’s going to be my incentive for getting in shape.  A challenge.  Hope there will be an end to this virus for everyone!

Dh have gone a few places though,  You consider going to a botanical garden or two. Bought an Amazon book, “Botanical Gardens of NE”, small with pictures.  We went to Berkshire Botanical Garden in Stockbridge MA.  Very nice, very safe.  We like that area anyway.

Yes, online shopping.  Your purchases are a great investment, and you will have so much fun with your DD.  Sounds like a fun and elegant party.

Please stay cool and safe!

Best wishes,

Pam

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT   Hi Pam,

It is wonderful that you have trusted and reliable caretakers for Winston, when you travel and that they are in daily communication with you.

We have always been fortunate to be able to keep our kitties at home when we travelled. My best friend of of 40 years

was my neighbor until she moved a few years ago. We took care of her cats when she and her husband travelled and she took care of ours. We are lucky that my son still lives at home

and is here to take care of this spoiled girl.

It is too bad that your SIL father did not take precaution soon enough to avoid covid. So many people do not take it seriously. We have tried to be very careful. I'm so glad that I am no longer working in a public school. I worked in the office and so many people came through there daily.

I choose to stay home most of the time, especially after hearing of so many people still getting sick after receiving the vaccine and boosters. The vaccine for new variants is supposed to be available in October. We still avoid crowds.

It is great that your  daughter and nephew can keep you up to date with what is really going on. I don't understand people who don't accept scientific facts. I try to follow the science.

Your daughter must have told you how beautiful Italy is, and showed you pictures. We went to the same places as your daughter, starting in Rome, then Florence and Venice. I would love to go back, especially to Venice. But, that flight is so tedious. I don't think that I would be up for it again. We did a moderate pace Globus tour, but it is still a lot of walking involved. The Viking Cruise was very relaxing, but the flight was  tough at this age.

The Berkshire Botanical Garden must have been lovely.

A few years ago, we went to a botanical garden on the coast of Maine. It even had a nice little restaurant. In Bermuda we have visited the botanical garden  and in 2012 we went there to a

lovely John Lennon tribute concert. A Bermuda childrens orchestra played some of his music. Then singers from Bermuda and several other countries came to perform his songs.

John Lennon had a connection to Bermuda  and loved the botanical garden. Being there inspired him to write his last album in Bermuda, after not writing for several years. He named that album Double Fantasy after the Double Fantasy Freesia that grows there. He had just finished recording that album, the night he was killed. That was so sad, to think of Sean without his father and that such a talent was killed for no reason. Even now, I can't listen to "Beautiful Boy" without crying.     

Last night, we had our Pina Coladas and pasta. It was just my husband, son, daughter and me. Nothing fancy, but we did listen to Bob Marley.

Last night, I checked out Macy's sales on line and really scored a bargain. I wanted a wide brim straw hat and found one on sale for $21. When I checked out, I had $20. of Macy's Bucks. I ended up paying $1.28 with free shipping! It cost Macy's more for the shipping than what the item cost.

Now I'll have a nice sunhat for when my cousin and I go blueberry picking. It has to get cooler first, before I'll do that.

Another hot one tomorrow, stay cool.

Donna       

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff - Hi Donna!

You are so fortunate to have your son living with you.  Not only a kitty sitter,  but a younger person to help with some issues and keeps things livened up.  When our DD was single, she took several trips with us and being around someone young is a good thing.  The GC, absolutely,  but no trips with them.

Yes, this new variant was predicted, and it is here.  We are going to the Cape in September, staying in the less crowded outer Cape, in a rented house.  My DB’s friend knows the owners.  And it has AC.  We went last year and enjoyed ourselves without the crowds.

I know what you are saying about overseas flights.  And the airport in Amsterdam is a horror show.  And gotten worse.  And lost luggage?  They advise folks just to take a carry-on?

Last week it was reported Delta flew a plane from London to the US just to bring lost luggage to folks in the US, long after they have arrived home, I bet. One thousand pieces of luggage, no people on the plane.

How sad to think about losing John Lennon in such a terrible way.  I had not realized a connection to Bermuda.  And I agree that his songs bring forth so much emotion.  I also love James Taylor, and some of his songs make me cry.

I am now on a diet!  Time to get into shape.  Well, it’s relative.

If we ever make it to Ireland or Italy, we would go on our own and not take a tour.  It takes some research,  and it would be at a slow pace.  Better to see fifty percent of a place rather than none.  We could never ever travel the way we used to.  Up early, on the run into the evening, etc.  

What a great deal you scored on your new sunhat.  I love Macy’s myself, along with Amazon.  My DH needed a small part to fix our vacuum, found the part on Amazon, ordered and had it one day later.  Just can’t beat it.  Do you ever browse on Etsy?  I guess that’s the new version of going to the mall, at least for me.  

Wishing for cool weather, so maybe we can go for a walk outside?

Best wishes!

Pam

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT   Hi Pam,

Your planned trip to the Cape in September sounds perfect.

Especially, renting a house and away from the crowds. With school opening, most of the summer people will most likely be gone.

When my kids were young, we rented a cottage in Chatham

for a week. The kids loved it. It was in the summer and we were lucky to have had great weather.

Good luck with your diet. It isn't easy. With the extreme heat and humidity, I have not been sticking to healthy eating.

I need ice cream, iced coffee and cold meals. I'm eating too much bread; chicken salad sandwich, roast beef sandwich, hamburgers etc. I've made different types of salads. It has been too hot to cook.

At least today, the humidity has gone way down and tomorrow should be pleasant too. It is nice to able to sit on the porch again and Katie is happy to have her cat tree by the screen door so she can watch the bird and squirrel show.

Like you, Macy's and Amazon have been the way I have shopped for a few years now. I don't know how Amazon does it. Two days ago, I ordered coffee for our Keurig and a book on the Medicis. They arrived today.

You asked about Etsy. I have been trying to keep away from that. For years, I have been buying from Etsy. I have bought so many things, from crafting materials , antique and vintage jewelry,  vintage collectibles and more. Seven years ago, I collected vintage glass Christmas ornaments  from Etsy and I made 7 large ornament wreaths that I gave as Christmas gifts. The firkins that I bought for my daughter came from Etsy. I could get myself into trouble, it is too easy to shop for such great stuff. They seem to have just about anything that you may be looking for.

Do you buy much from Etsy?

Yesterday, I went to  the doctor and got a cortisone injection in my sore shoulder. He said that I need a shoulder replacement. I was shocked.  I had never heard of anyone having a shoulder replacement. I told him that I'm not up for that. I injured that shoulder about 8 years ago and the pain has gotten worse. He said that it has advanced arthritis and x-ray looks like the rotator cuff is gone. He would see more with an MRI. For now, I'm just hoping that the cortisone helps for a while.

I hope that you are also enjoying this pleasant break from

heat and humidity.

Stay well & take care,

Donna

Trusted Contributor

Gorgeous! And those ferns! I could never get them to live for me. I'll have an iced tea please-Smiley Happy