Respected Contributor

Re: Porch is Ready

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT 

Now, about your unfortunate adventure. What    

a  scare that must have been to have frightening

symptoms  that could be a cardiac emergency.

Going to the ER is no picnic. The key usually is  to        call  911 and they take you before anyone waiting in the

ER  waiting room. Years ago, my aunt took my 47 year old

uncle to the ER and he died there with a heart attack.

My aunt was left with four school age children.

Since Covid, they have not allowed anyone to stay with you. How awful that you were there waiting so long.

You do see some sights waiting there. Last year, the night after Christmas , I felt like I was about to pass out and my son took me to the ER. Two years before, that happened to me in school

and they called 911. Then right to the hospital by ambulance.

I was taken right in, no waiting. My blood pressure was very low and I could not even hold up my head. After all the tests, they determined that my potassium was dangerously low and they put me on a potassium IV. A cardiologist saw me

and said that it was affecting my heart and they admitted me.

They put me on a heart monitor and kept me for three days. I went home feeling fine and took potassium for a month.

The Hydrochlorothiazide that I take for high blood pressure

depletes potassium, but I thought that I had been eating enough

foods with potassium.

I'm so glad that you were not having a heart episode.

But, did they find what was causing your symptoms?

When my son took me to the ER, last year, I waited in the ER waiting room for 5 hours on an IV and he could not stay with me on a freezing cold December night. The hospital is 25

minutes from home. At 10:00 at night, there was no place in the hospital for him to wait. After he left, people came in and

four of them had people who stayed with them.

The things you see. One guy was walking around on his phone and not wearing a mask. After about 20 minutes, a nurse

mentioned wearing a mask. He put it on for about 10 minutes, then removed it. A young Hispanic girl about 15, came in with her mother. She had her mask off, on, off coughing. I moved away from that. Then a young couple brought in a tiny elderly Asian lady, wearing what was probably her native attire and

slippers on her feet. Next, she had her bare feet, no slippers,on

the chair and she stayed like that in a crouching position.

After 5 hours they took me to a room in ER. My potassium was low, but not as bad as before. I think I got home about 4:00 a.m., after the tests, IV and seeing doctor.

Always call 911 with heart symptoms, go by ambulance and

you will not be waiting in ER.(Now, I'm being bossy)

We had three hospitals nearby. They all closed in recent years. The population in this city has grown and we have no hospital. The nearest two are 25 minutes away in two other cities. Healthcare is not what it was. Even the veterinary hospital in our city closed last month. The one I go to in the next city, is not taking new patients.

The no kill shelter is across the road from this vet clinic. I

think they take care of the shelter animals and maybe that is

why they aren't taking new patients.

This shelter was enlarged and newly built around 8 years ago. They took animals that have been rescued from the devistating situations that have occurred this winter from violent storms and floods. They have come here from many states and it always seems busy with people adopting pets.

Their entry is always full of donations of food, blankets, towels and toys for the animals. Instead of cash, I like to donate food and towels for them. I can't go look at the animals;

I would be tempted to take one home. I have to remind myself

that Katie likes being an only child.

It seems that there is a shortage of doctors, nurses, vets and dentists. My dentist is not taking new patients, unless it is family. He works alone and has four fulltime dental hygienists.

A lot of doctors around here, are not taking new patients.

Healthcare and Health Insurance is sky high, if you want good coverage. I'm still getting used to having no co-payment

with Medicare. We have great supplement insurance with the city, that we continued with our Harvard Pilgrim Insurance that

we had while working for the city. I have never had to pay for

any tests or hospital costs. We are lucky to have it.

The movie "The Pale Blue Eye" sounds like a good one. I love reading Poe, ever since high school. I have a book with a

complete collection of Poe's stories and poems. He had a strange mind. He could have written Twilight Zone episodes,

if he had lived in a later era.

We have never been to the the Hudson River Valley, but I have seen the Vanderbuilt Home on t.v. Imagine what it must have been like to live like that?

We did see their "summer cottage", The Breakers in Newport, RI, and some of the other mansions. I have been there a few times, but not recently. I love Newport. Have you visited the mansions? Rosecliff is my favorite.

Years ago, when my sister in law was a student at Harvard, she took me to Harvard's Glass Museum. I have always loved

going to the museums in Boston, but we have not gone to Boston since Covid. I don't drive into Boston anymore.

When I was single, I drove into Boston and Cambridge often.

We live next to Salem and there is a great museum there. It is the Peabody Essex Museum and they have great exhibits, but we have not gone there since Covid. Maybe in the spring that could be a thing to do, if hopefully the Covid situation is better.

They have an actual Chinese House at the museum. Amazingly it was disassembled and transported here and reassembled, piece by piece. My daughter Paula and I saw it about 6 years ago. I think that it is about 200 hundred years old. You may be able to see something about it online.

They also get special exhibits featuring different artists.

Your fitness center sounds great. I know that it is important to keep moving to stay healthy and that is not what I have been doing. Going to physical therapy is making me feel better and I

have lost a few pounds. Sugar, chocolate and ice cream are my downfall. Today I bought everything to make some nice salads.

I would eat so differently, if I didn't have to cook for two men. It would make me very happy if I lost about 20 pounds.

I'm short and getting shorter, but I'm not as "petite" as you might think.

I tell my husband that I'm trying not to eat ice cream and bread, but he either doesn't hear it or he forgets. He keeps buying ice cream and English muffins. It is hard when my new

favorite by Brigham's is in the freezer. It is "Outa The Park Coffee". It is coffee ice cream with chocolate fudge swirl and

chocolate chunks. It is decadent and so hard to resist. Today, I

had about a quarter of a cup. I don't need to pig out, but when it is here, I can't resist.

It would be great to lose some weight, but then, I would probably need to buy all new clothes.

One thing to love about jewelry, it fits no matter what size the clothes are. Maybe it is a good thing that I didn't get that red coat. I'd like to think that I'll find one next fall and be able to buy a smaller size. Smiley Happy

Like you mentioned, the horrible shootings in the news. Two of them did not fit the profile of an angry, 20 something white male. It is hard to imagine a 70 or 67 year old Asian man, killing random strangers. It feels like the world has gone nuts and I'm mostly comfortable just staying in the house and having

everything delivered here.

After physical therapy today, I did go to the supermarket.

That was the first time in a couple of months, that I shopped for food. I've been doing Stop & Shop delivery and my husband and son have been going to the stores for groceries too.

It is late, but I think that I will go up to bed and read for a while. I can sleep in the morning.

My boring life would not be much of a book to write. I think that you have more adventures than I do. Maybe you

should write a book.

I just made myself laugh. It seems that everytime I write to

you, I end up writing a book. But it is a book that would not

interest anyone else. You are kind to take the time to read my

mundane writings.

Off to bed with my book. Goodnight.

Love,

Donna

Trusted Contributor

Beautiful! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff 

My Dear Donna,

Please forgive me for being remiss about writing you.  I have been overwhelmed.  And to be truthful makes me sound like such a winer.  I do think I am when I see what many people go through.  I guess It is a combination of disappointment and lack of control.

Your beautiful messages reflect such am lovely spirit, honest, and brave and realistic.  I guess I have always put doctors on a pedestal, like a child would.  Not any more.

And you are so right!  I should have gone to the ER in an ambulance.  Thank our Lord it was not my heart - I would have died in the waiting room.  I went to that hospital only because both my cardiologist and pulmonologist are connected to that hospital.  Now that was a dumb decision!  

As I have told you, I have a doctor for every body part.

And everything, due to circumstances and also my choice, was scheduled for January and February.  That works when it all goes well!

I went to an ENT I had seen years ago and liked.  Ever since my experience with bronchitis last summer, two bouts, I have never been the same.  Much congestion in my head, no drip, etc.  Well, he is now got this extension business - surely through his hospital association - of an audiology dept with an audiologist.  Guess what?  I need a hearing aid.  He did not diagnose my congestion, gave that short shrift.  Tried to sell me the most expensive hearing aid, in a sneaky way.  I cannot believe anyone would think I am that stupid.  Shocking.

Researched ENTs online, and found a highly rated one with no attachment to selling hearing aids.  I do think I need one, but I need good advice.  And my congestion has gotten much better, but I am extremely concerned about avoiding COVID and bronchitis.  My DB, age 70, fully vaxed, got COVID over Cnristmas, as I think I told you.  Well, he was sick for many weeks, gradually getting better.  Very scary!

I am having my yearly physical with my family doctor soon.  He is an excellent doc, internal medicine, with little sense of humor.  My sense of humor gets really nutty when I am under pressure.  It does get funny!

I am glad your shots are helping with your knee!  It does feel good to take a simple trip out of the house, doesn’t it?  I know you are contemplating what is next, and I hope you can be connected with others who have decided on surgery.  I do think people are honest when asked.  Hope you are ok!

I think your description of the Peabody Museum sounds wonderful.  I am sure it is quite an experience.  We used to go to Newport years ago and loved it.  I can’t remember which one I liked the best.  Amazing, the wealth some had!  Of course,  no income taxes back then.  But even now, so many wealthy find a way to avoid!  We have a state income tax in CT, a sales tax, and our property taxes are high.  

DH is doing well with our new cardiologist.  Our previous cardiologist was happy with his cholesterol levels, but this one wants lower.  He prescribed Repatha, a tiny shot you give yourself in your tummy every two weeks.  DH’s levels are now 

extremely low after just a few weeks.  But I guess docs have to fight insurance companies to get it.  I guess it is a relatively new medication.

We do miss going into Boston, as I am sure you do.  The MFA

is such a inspiring place to go.  Would love to go back to surrounding places of history, as it has been so many years.  I remember Walden Pond!  A peaceful place!  

Just horrified with the the loss of life in Turkey and Syria.  We can’t imagine the horror.  I do remember, years back, when we visited Yellowstone.  Loved it, and would go back if we could.  But I guess it lies atop of some major fault, I don’t remember what. 

But if it ever blows, we will all be in trouble.  

I also have thought at volunteering at a pet shelter.  Especially the one Winston came from.  But, like you, it would be too emotional.  We could turn into those crazy cat ladies!  One new kitty a week.  Oh boy!  How I wish we could have a dog!

We only had one, a Corgi.  His name was Willie, and he was a love.  So many years ago.  But that time has long passed.

How is little Katie doing?  

I hope you you are doing well, and I wish I could cure the pain in your knee.  You have been through quite a bit, certainly your share.  And more.

Please take care, and I hope you are blessed in every way.

Love,

Pam

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear Pam,

I'm going to try to make this short. But, you know how I am once I start writing. First, I hope that you are well.

I have not been looking at the forum every day or even turning

on the computer. The past four weeks have been a living nightmare.

It all started with my cardiologist increasing my statin. Within a week, a rash started on my legs. By the end of the next week,  it spread up to my abdomen and I went to urgent care.

The doctor there was very sweet and caring. He must have spent an hour with me. We went over all my sensitivities to

medications and other things. He prescribed prednisone, which I took for ten days. It made me feel terrible and I could only grab a couple of hours sleep at night.

Next, I went to my primary care and she agreed that I was having an allergic reaction and I stopped the statin. I tried everything to find some relief from the itching, stinging and burning.

Then I saw the cardiologist so he could see why I have been so reluctant to increase medications. I have a history, from before he knew me. Seven years ago the same thing happened

when a doctor increased my blood pressure medication.

Then, the rash went fom my ankles and all the way to my scalp. I was out of work for a month and could not even put on clothes. Fortunately, it was in the summer and I wore a bath towel.

The day after seeing the cardiologist, my eyes and face were

swollen and red, itchy burning. That was ten days ago and my face and eyes are not better. The rash went up my chest to my neck and two days ago, went to my arms.

Along with this dreadful rash, I have felt cold , headachy and dizzy. The rash on my legs is fading a little, but the red swollen skin around my eyes is so damaged. It itches and burns.

I went back to my primary care and saw a new doctor

last Wednesday. I was hoping that he would help relieve

the swollen eyes. He prescribed Doxycyclene. I got it, but did not take it. The side effects are nasty. My eyes are not infected.

Friday, I went to the opthamologist. She prescribed a couple of things to help. It only got worse. My daughter brought me some vitamin E today. I tested an area and it only got worse.

I have an appointment to see a dermatologist on Tuesday. That will be six doctors in two weeks.

It feels like my face is burnt, from my cheekbones to my

eyebrows. I'm taking Benedryl and that helps with the itching.

I hope to find some kind of relief. Please pray for me, this is just so agonizing and painful.

I'll post again, when I feel better.

Love,

Donna

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff 

My Dear Donna,

I am so so sorry for everything you are going through.  I know life was not meant to be easy, but this is ridiculous.  Of course, I will pray for you.  

With all the advances in medicine, with all the specialty docs, it sometimes is like a search for the Holy Grail to find the right competent doctor who listens and believes a patient.

When statins first came out, they were considered wonder drugs with no side effects.  Ha ha!  Before my DH got off the drug, he developed side effects - supposedly that our former cardiologist had never heard of.

Please consider asking your cardiologist about this.  Our PCP internal medicine doc recommmended a product sold in pharmacies, on the shelves, called Cholestoff Complete - it must be the complete version.  DH gave it a trial, and the bloodwork confirmed it was working.

My guess is that he was cheating on his diet too much - hence the new cardiologist prescribed the Repatha, a tiny injection in one’s tummy every two weeks.  You get a number of them and keep in your fridge.  My SIL was on Cholestoff Complete for a while, but he is the ultimate foodie, and I am sure he didn’t stick to a good diet.

I will make you laugh.  DH goes shopping, and came home with a chocolate cake.  He said “It just spoke to me.”  

When I developed Bronchitis last June, took Z pack, and it went away.  surprise, came back with a vengeance.  Then I was on high levels of Prednisone, great for making you feel lousy.  I still have some congestion in my head sometimes, no drip or such, that I trace back to that.

I am very optimistic that your dermatologist will get you on the right path.  Something that will give you some comfort until this horrible stuff goes away.

We have so much in common, including this period of cray cray, although I am not suffering your agony.  I had some appointments already scheduled for early this year,  it added more so I could get it all over with before the spring.  What a joke.  Fired the old cardiologist, and fired my ENT, who I had seen years ago, who has changed.  What a joke.

I have an appointment with an new ENT, who looks very good on paper.  I do think I also need a hearing aid, but I do not need the top model.  The $5,000 would be fine.  Will see what this new ENT has to say about head congestion, and I like the fact there is no hearing aid business connected to his office.

My blood work for cardiologist is fine, but awaiting results for my urine and blood test for my Prolia, and also for my yearly physical.  I go to the Bone Clinic at UConn Health Center, at the place where they have their dental program, as well as their medical program.  And separate large buildings all over the place, independent docs, like a medical village. My pulmonologist has her office there, and I also have an appointment for my checkup there, as well.  

But you are suffering so much - I cannot imagine!  I think the 

dermatologist will help you.  Wonder if there is something you can use for soaking in the tub, as well.  

I pray this suffering will ne over soon.  Wonder if your cardiologist will let you try  Cholestoff, as I gather there are not bad side effects like from statins for most people.

I trust your guys are doing simple cooking, and/or takeout.  You need to rest.  I am very concerned about you.  And surely I will be praying for you.  Please give me updates.  Sending you prayers for cure.  So, so sorry for what you are enduring.

Very best wishes for a quick and positive cure.  Take care,

honeybun.

Love,

Pam

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT 

Dear Pam,

I don't know how to get rid of this underlining.

Annoying!

Thank you for your prayers. I'm finally feeling better.

This past week, I'll feel like I'm getting better one day and then

feel worse the next. Today, I don't feel as well as I did yesterday.

My face and eyes were a mess for two whole weeks. I felt so badly, that I told my husband that I was just not up to talking on

the phone to anyone.

I was not happy with the dermatologist.  She looked about 18, I thought she was the PA.  She stood about 6 feet away from me (we had masks on). She said that I had contact dermatitis on my face and that everything that the opthamologist told me was wrong.

I told her that this all started when my statin was increased and that I had pictures of the rash on my legs, arms, and abdomen. She said " I don't need to see any pictures".

She prescribed a stronger prescription cortisone . The insert stated that it was not to be used on broken skin. I was not about to put that anywhere near my eyes. She never even loooked at the damage to the skin all around my eyes. She told me not to use the eyedrops that I have had to use since my eye surgery last year. I will not go back to her.

She told me to splash cold water on my eyes. Since our city water contains chlorine and flouride and who knows what else,

I used cold spring water on cotton pads.

The skin around my eyes had turned like leather and Vaseline did relieve that somewhat. Then all that skin peeled off.  This week the swelling and redness around my eyes has gone.

The dizziness and pressure headaches is gone. The rashes are fading and just a little itchy.

The Nurse Practitioner told me that it would take about a month for all this to get better and I saw her a month ago.

This is the first day that I was up to sitting at the computer.

I wanted to let you know that I am getting better and to thank you for prayers.

I will never take a statin again and when I see the cardiologist on March 8, he will not be happy. I did look up Cholestoff. It is made from pine and I'm allergic to pine pollen.

But I have a list of natural things to try. If the Dr. is not willing to accept that, I will have to fire him. I never had a heart problem, my primary care sent me to him because I had

a reaction to blood pressure medication 7 years ago. It was very much like what I just went through and I was out of work

for a month and unable to put on clothes. Fortunately it was

summer and I wrapped a bath towel around my body.

I have been living in warm cotton flannel nightgowns and it

was really uncomfortable to put on pants to go to Dr. appointments.  I think that the Benedryl I was taking, made me feel worse. Ice packs were my only relief. I have not had to use

them for a few days now. The itchy rash turned prickly and painful. Now the skin on my legs is so damaged, I don't know if it will ever go back to normal. I'm using Eucerin Calming

Cream. I stopped using the steroid. I hated how the Prednisone made me feel and I had trouble sleeping. Ten days of that was enough for me.

One of the first things I will do is go to another dermatologist

at the office where my cousin goes.

The thing that really upsets me is, I was feeling so good after the physical therapy and wanted to keep doing those exercises at home. My legs were getting stronger and wanted to go out walking. All those nice warm days we had, I was too sick to walk. I could barely hold my head up. I just wanted to lie down

until last week. My head was getting better and it was comfortable to sit up.

I thought that exercising and eating healthy, I would lose weight and with that my blood pressure and cholesterol would

go down. Now, it is about time for that cortisone in my knee to wear off and we are getting cold winter weather. I'm not up to

walking outside yet. Maybe I'll go for another cortisone shot.

Enough about me, I hope that you, your husband and Winston are doing well, getting through winter. Have you seen the ENT yet? Have you gotten a hearing aid? We got them for my husband, $7,000. He won't use them.

Katie has been just a sweet baby. When I was feeling the worst, she stayed right by me and took naps with me. When my face was the worst, she was frightened  for a couple of days. I was unrecognizable, with my eyes so swollen.

Hopefully, the next time I post, it will be all about good things, like my grand daughter's wedding coming up.

You take care of yourself and post when you get a chance.

Love,

Donna

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff 

My Dear Donna,

I am so happy to hear from you, but so distressed about all you have been through.

I think I am finally doing better.  So glad I fired that ENT, and very pleased with my new one.  He listens.  Imagine that!  He prescribed two nasal sprays, and they are really working.  He wants to give me his own hearing test, so that will be happening several weeks from now.  I know I have a problem, but I sure need someone I trust to direct me.

My other appointments have gone well.  My bone density test went well, and I got my semi-yearly Prolia shot.  Pulmonologist thinks I am doing well.  Just had my exam with PCP, also thinks I am doing well.  I did tell him I have been having heartburn most evenings after dinner.  Well, after his test plan for me, if not gone after two weeks, he will refer me to a gastro doc for one of these esophagus tests where they knock you out to examine.  

Have not lost weight, but docs say nothing.  I guess they see so many fatsos, they just accept porkers.  I did find a place to go about 20 minutes away where they have an indoor walking track, therapeutic pool, etc.  It is run as part of a Jewish community center, and they so generously offer membership to all people.  Only $100 a month it will cost for DH and me.  

And now I am going around this house, room by room, trying to straighten up, get rid of stuff, etc.  What a mess.  Reflects my mental state, I guess.

I feel so badly for what you have gone through and still going through.  Why do some doctors fail to listen?  We know our bodies.  Such a lack of respect!  And dangerous, too.  You have been through so much, my fondest wish is that you be respected and believed.  Of course, you have to start again with someone new, but firing a doctor can be the best thing you can ever do.  Why should we tolerate less than top care?

Glad we got rid of Dr. Bozo, our ex-cardiologist.  glad that our old ENT is bye-bye.

I am hoping for you, and praying, you will be back to your old self very soon.  It sounds like you are on your way!

We did take my uncle in assisted living out to eat and for a long drive on a beautiful afternoon.  He is so happy there, and has made many friends.  Every Friday night, they have karaoke, and he loves it!  It is hard to imagine, as he is a quiet, intellectual type!  I know he will always miss my aunt, but it is heartwarming to see him happy.

On the other hand, a friend of my brother, is battling cancer.

Don’t know the back story, but this was diagnosed quite late.

She is alone, but with a grown son.  My dear brother is helping her, taking her to appointments, keeping her company, etc.  Put together a little care kit for her - shawl and slippers, and several copies of thr “Jesus Calling” books that I love.  My friend from the southwest introduced this series to me years ago.  They are for any denomination of Christian, simple,  but compelling.

I am so hoping you will be going to your granddaughter’s wedding as the belle of thr ball!

Please get back to me when you are up to it.  Thinking of you, praying for you...

Love,

Your friend,

Pam

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT 

Dear Pam,

Finally, I'm back and feeling well. This has been the first week that I can say that I feel normal. The itching from all that

damaged skin is gone. I can wear pants without it irritating  my legs. Thank goodness for long cotton flannel nightgowns and

Stan Herman caftans.

Other than doctor's appointments and quick trips to the drug store or supermarket for the past three years, this past week, I went to two family gatherings. Last Sunday I went to my daughter, Colleen's house for a small birthday party for her grandson. He is 10 years old. He and my two great grand daughters have grown so much since I last saw them. It was so

nice to see all the children again. Colleen's daughter, Corinn is

getting excited for the wedding in May.

Her fiance is such a nice young man. He is a CPA and a musician. Corinn sings and writes music. She also works for an insurance company. They have a small band and have been performing in small venues for about 5 years now. They also recorded two albums that are on Spotify. Their band is called Rinn.

On Saturday, I went to the bridal shower for Corinn. That was the first time I have been in a crowd. It was about 40 people. It was at lovely venue that has a large ballroom and

4 smaller rooms for events. It was a brunch with great food.

It was so nice to be with family and Colleen's friends who I had not seen for a long time.

Colleen called me yesterday, to tell me how her friends were

commenting on how young I looked. That made my day!

I always attributed my complexion looking good because of good genes. My mother, aunts and grandmother always looked younger than they were, with great skin.

The other thing is I have never been a big sun worshipper. Of

course, living not far from the beach, we did go occasionally.

Mostly staying in the house, raising five children, kept me out of the sun. We also had a shady yard with trees and that is where I sat if I was in the yard with the kids. Even as a teen and I wanted to tan my white legs, I kept my face out of the sun. I remember the delicious scent of the Bain de Soleil gel.

"For that Saint Tropez tan". I have been using moisturizer and wearing sunglasses since I was 12 years old.

Even though I would never want to relive the past two months, one good thing happened. When all that damaged skin around my eyes, turned leather like and peeled, it left new skin

underneath. It was red, sensitive and raw, but it  healed. Now, it

is like I had a chemical peel, but from the inside out!

Pam, I'm dismayed to read that you refer to yourself as "fatso" or "porker". I know that you wrote that with humor, but it made me sad to read. I wish that I could give you a big hug.

After raising a family, working, taking care of a house and all

the responsibilities that we have and then dealing with health

issues and the effects of medications, most of us are dealing with weight issues. I was shocked, when I heard my cardiologist speaking into his dictaphone after an appointment.

He referred to me as "obese". By the way, he is very tall and thin and probably never had to watch calories.(This country is obsessed with women being thin to fit the ideal that was promoted in media for decades.)

I never thought of myself that way. I know that I have more weight than I would like and that I have gone up a couple of sizes in clothing.

My weight came in my 40's after health issues. I'll probably never see 100 lbs. again. Most people don't see that I have a belly. I dress to camoflage it. Plus, a round face keeps you looking younger. (to quote my mother-in-law). She said that skinny old ladies' faces sink in and get wrinkled. I think she was right. My friend's female doctor told her that it is better to have a little extra weight when we are older. We would

not be devasted by an illness as a thin person would. It is a little protection. I like her philosophy. Maybe it is true because

we naturally gain weight as we age and then most lose weight

and muscle by their 80's.

At the same time, I know that it would be healthier to lose some weight. My goal right now, would be 20 lbs. Now,

without the medication, my cholesterol has gone sky high. I'm

trying to eat healthier, but it is difficult when I have to cook for two men every day. I could eat salad every day, but my husband is a meat and potatoes guy. I can't eat what I make for them every day, but it is a pain to make two different meals.

After 60 years, I'm tired of planning and cooking meals.

It has been cold and windy here, but I heard that it could go to 60 tomorrow. I plan on going out for a walk and hope to do that, when weather permits. That shot that I got in December has not worn off yet , so I have no knee pain. I'm hoping that it

lasts longer. I can't push myself to exercise or go for a walk if

I am in pain or if it is too cold or too hot and humid. Spring is

usually the time of year when I do best to lose weight, eat lighter and go out walking.

Plus, I love seeing everything turning green again. We are seeing some little green sprouts and buds. I've always loved Spring, probably because I was a May baby.

Are you seeing some signs of spring? Have you gotten a membership at the Jewish Community Center? An indoor walking track is ideal. I'm glad that you like your two new doctors. It is great that the nasal spray is helping. Do you get

seasonal allergies? Have you had your hearing test yet? Good

luck with it, if you had not had it yet.

It is so important to have a doctor who you can trust and who listens. It is wonderful that your other doctors find that you are doing well.

I hope that your heartburn is better. For many years my son had a problem with that and took Prilosac for many years. He

wanted to stop taking it and found that sometimes a spoonful of vinegar will help. He also uses an aloe drink. He only gets heartburn on rare occasions now.

One of my grandsons was having a reflux problem when he was young and my daughter had him take a spoonful of vinegar and that helped.

I hope that your issue gets better, so you don't have to have that test.

You talk about your house being a mess. Well, I think that I could win a prize, if one were given. My house has C.H.A.O.S.

or "Can't have anyone over syndrome". There is just so much clutter and it is totally out of control, after being sick for two months. Even though I have felt better this past week, it has been very busy with appointments and the two family events.

I have to start with one small area at a time and sort, throw out, and stash stuff. I can't deal with all the paper that comes here every week. I get catalogs from  companies I've never bought from plus all the ones that I do buy from.

So many organizations asking for donations.(In this economy?)  Every week is a letter from someone looking to buy my house, insurance companies, home equity loans, you name it. Companies sure do spend a bundle on advertising and

soliciting.

I'm glad that your uncle is doing well and that he enjoys your visits and going out with you. Before my aunt and godmother passed away about 5 years ago. She was in a nursing home and none of her children lived nearby. I tried to visit her, call her and take her out for lunch when I could.

Of five sisters in my mother's family, one is left. She will be

92 in April. She looks about 70 and is still a size 5-6. She lifted

weights and worked out and stayed out of the sun. She has very fair skin and still colors her blonde hair. My mother came from a family of 8 children, all blondes. I have dark hair like my father, while my two brothers were blondes.

About 6 years ago, she fell on her tile floor and broke a hip.

After surgery, she checked herself out of the hospital after three days. (much to the doctor's chagrin). The visiting nurse

and physical therapist were amazed at how quickly she recovered and walked with her new hip. She is very strong and

determined. Her favorite flowers are tulips, so I think that I will bring her some on her birthday and see where she would like to go out for lunch.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's friend. My brother also has a friend who is in hospice with cancer. He was in my brother's blues band and was a teacher at the boys private prep school where my brother teaches Latin. My brother is retiring at the end of this school year. I feel so badly for him. He has lost two of his longtime best friends , already.

Well Pam, it seems that again, I have written a book. I want to thank you for your prayers and taking the time to write to me. Let's hope that we can get out and enjoy lots of beautiful Spring weather, hear the birds and see everything blooming

again. Remember to wear your sunglasses and a hat to protect from the sun. I won't put sunscreen chemicals on my face.

My Estee Lauder creams and Bare Minerals Mineral Veil have

some SPF. That is good enough for me.

Take care and stay well.

Love,

Donna

P.S. Tonight, I am going to ask my son to help me post a picture of Toni in a new dress. Maybe in Pet Lovers and

Community Chat.