Honored Contributor

Re: Popular house styles: 1900's to the 2000's

You're welcome, @Patriot3 and @beach-mom.  8)

@beach-mom :  I also like wraparound porches and bay windows; how nice to have one in the kitchen where so much time is spent.

Super Contributor

And then there is the Cape Ann too, right? I wonder if that is a combo of the Queen Ann and the Cape Cod? 

I guess I could Google.  Or it could just be the title of a favorite novel by Faith Sullivan from 10 years ago or so, LOL!

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Contributor

I read a statistic that families in the 1950s were fifty percent larger, but houses were fifty percent smaller than contemporary houses. Developers no longer build those 50's style ranches for their subdivisions.
Respected Contributor

I have always wanted a Queen Anne Victorian.  DH always said he did not want to work all day then come home and work all night on maintaining one.

Now I am glad I do not have the Victorian because of all the steps, but I do still love them.

I live my dream by making the interior of my home "fussy" like a Victorian!

We used to travel around and tour older homes and stay in Bed and Breakfast's that were old victorians or other styles of old homes instead of hotels so I could get my "fix" of living in an older home.  There are many beautiful ones around.

Honored Contributor

I didn't have to go beyond he Queen Anne, that is the home for me.  I love Victorian houses with many rooms, high ceilings, and a wrap around porch.  Just beautiful!

I would love to see the rooms!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MrsSB: a pretty Cape Ann...

A quick search didn't say if the style is a Cape Cod-Queen Anne combo, though.

Cape Ann Exterior, Season 41

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the interesting info, @kehaara

Honored Contributor

Out of all the styles, I like the Bungalow.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Almost every house built where I live from the mid 60's to today are either brick or stone.  Very few are siding.

Also, there are a lot of homes that fall into the Dallas style house, or the more French inspired like Ina Garten's house--a mix of brick and rock trim.  Before the 90's it was a jolly mix of old English style, ranch homes, and "leave it to Beaver" houses.  

ETA: 

The label is peculiar to this part of the country. Ask for a “Dallas-style” home somewhere else and you’ll probably draw a blank stare.

A Dallas-style house has a somewhat steeper-pitched roof – a slope of 10 percent to 12 percent – full brick, including bricked gables, and lots of windows. Inside, ceilings are 10 feet high or higher, hallways are uncommon, kitchens are large and floor plans are open.

“I can’t think of any other period where we went a 10-year stretch building the same house,” said Mike Grissom, president of the Central Oklahoma Home Builders Association. “We’ve virtually built the same house for 10 years.”

And Grissom said the style is still popular in – where else? – Dallas.

Esteemed Contributor

This is a nice history of home styles, although when I think of the 70s, especially the mid to late 70s, I think of the larger, boxy 2 story homes with the 2-car attached garages and especially the family room. Maybe it was just my area of the midwest, but that seemed to be the style that families were looking for at that time. Larger ranch style homes were also popular with 4 bedrooms and a full size basement in our area.

Very interesting to see the different styles as they evolved over the years!