Esteemed Contributor

Re: Plumbing 😡

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I'm expecting the plumber today, I've been waiting close to a week. Don't get me wrong , I'm not complaining about the plumbers, they are very busy, and take care of emergencies first.  My issue is plumbing problems, I have an old house, and I have fewer problems than you might think. However , they give me such anxiety. I always build them up in my mind until I start freaking out. What home issues , if any, make you crazy.

This was around 5 years ago. I was using my washing machine --- then I noticed water running down in my laundry room --- the full bathroom opposite the laundry room -- into the downstairs bedroom and family room. I was alone and didn't know what to do. I called my plumber -- and he sent 2 young guys, ie, around 20 yrs old. They had no clue. Then I called another plumber - and the guy barely spoke English - so I sent him away. My insurance company sent an older man who had 30 yrs experience with these problems. He put a camera down the pipe in my side yard - and saw that plants clogged the pipe in my front yard. I then called another plumber (from Yelp) - and he removed the plants. Then I called a local Restoration Co. that came to my house - they had to cut several walls (bathroom, bedroom, laundry room, family room)  from the bottom up (around 2-1/2 ft.) New carpet had to be installed in the bedroom.

In betwen, various people came here (sent by the insurance co.), to assess the damage, inspectors, people from the Restoration Co., painters, etc. All the inspections and having the work done - was over 8 days. I was totally traumatized. My little lhasa is what saved me!!!! Then I found out from the Restoration Co. that the female they sent out to check the damages and figure out the cost of repair --- under-bid the job.It should have cost a lot more. The job was done well -- and it cost me $3,000 and my insurance company paid $4,000.

There's a pipe in my side-yard that has a small metal round cover. When u remove that cover, there's a rubber piece at the top. That should have been removed by someone when I bought my brand new house --- and that was the cause of the water flowing into my house. The water should have flowed in my sideyard. Now that rubber piece was thrown out my my plumber.

I had a several other problems - including water damage. 

After all these problems, someone started a Class Action against the builder, John Laing (who sold the company to someone in Quatar in the middle east). It took a few years - but I received a check that covered all the money I put out - repairing all the problems. The lawyer that handled this lawsuit did a GREAT job.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I'm expecting the plumber today, I've been waiting close to a week. Don't get me wrong , I'm not complaining about the plumbers, they are very busy, and take care of emergencies first.  My issue is plumbing problems, I have an old house, and I have fewer problems than you might think. However , they give me such anxiety. I always build them up in my mind until I start freaking out. What home issues , if any, make you crazy.

This was around 5 years ago. I was using my washing machine --- then I noticed water running down in my laundry room --- the full bathroom opposite the laundry room -- into the downstairs bedroom and family room. I was alone and didn't know what to do. I called my plumber -- and he sent 2 young guys, ie, around 20 yrs old. They had no clue. Then I called another plumber - and the guy barely spoke English - so I sent him away. My insurance company sent an older man who had 30 yrs experience with these problems. He put a camera down the pipe in my side yard - and saw that plants clogged the pipe in my front yard. I then called another plumber (from Yelp) - and he removed the plants. Then I called a local Restoration Co. that came to my house - they had to cut several walls (bathroom, bedroom, laundry room, family room)  from the bottom up (around 2-1/2 ft.) New carpet had to be installed in the bedroom.

In betwen, various people came here (sent by the insurance co.), to assess the damage, inspectors, people from the Restoration Co., painters, etc. All the inspections and having the work done - was over 8 days. I was totally traumatized. My little lhasa is what saved me!!!! Then I found out from the Restoration Co. that the female they sent out to check the damages and figure out the cost of repair --- under-bid the job.It should have cost a lot more. The job was done well -- and it cost me $3,000 and my insurance company paid $4,000.

There's a pipe in my side-yard that has a small metal round cover. When u remove that cover, there's a rubber piece at the top. That should have been removed by someone when I bought my brand new house --- and that was the cause of the water flowing into my house. The water should have flowed in my sideyard. Now that rubber piece was thrown out my my plumber.

I had a several other problems - including water damage. 

After all these problems, someone started a Class Action against the builder, John Laing (who sold the company to someone in Quatar in the middle east). It took a few years - but I received a check that covered all the money I put out - repairing all the problems. The lawyer that handled this lawsuit did a GREAT job.

@kivah , I'm glad you got it all settled, but what a hassle , plumbing is the worst !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Anything to do with water makes me crazy, and every house I have owned has water issues. 

Roofs and foundations that leak seem to be standard for us. Water is so destructive, and because of the luck we have had with roofs leaking and water in the basement, I tend to cringe every time it rains. 

We fixed the issues in all houses of course, and we have had inspections to try to foresee the issues, but they kind of follow us like the plague.

@Mominohio , I remember when I needed the roof replaced. It was such a process just getting a roofer to come.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago, I was in my kitchen and I looked up - and there was a small wet stain on the ceiling. I called a plumber and he thought it was the toilet upstairs in my master bath. A couple of days later, another stain appeared. The owner of the plumbing company came down and said it's probably the pipe in the ceiling. He sent another plumber who replaced the cheap pipe with a copper pipe.

I then posted on nextdoor dot com and asked for a referral for someone to plaster and paint the small area of the ceiling.

Everything was done correctly - and it wasn't expensive - so I survived another water problem.

Water is one of the worst problems!!!!

Life is so much easier now with the internet. You could read about any problem on-line - and post on this site and nextdoor dot com for advice and/or people who are skilled to do repairs.