Respected Contributor

Re: Please finish decorating

I love the windows and the moldings -- that's it.  And even before putting something on or above the mantel, I'd paint the fireplace!

Honored Contributor

It doesn't look finished. I understand a more minimal approach, but this doesn't scream 'minimalist' as much as it simply looks incomplete. It's potentially a lovely room, despite the lack of color and the rather predictable rug, but it needs a bit more, it needs something over the fireplace and, overall, it could use some personalization. Given how pretty the windows are, I can understand the temptation to leave them bare. To me, though, all windows need something to warm them up and even if privacy isn't an issue, completely bare windows don't work for me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma 

I agree with you....it looks unfinished, definitely needs something above the fireplace.....  and also agree about needing window coverings to warm up the room....I HATE glass coffee tables, so maybe a different table with different colorful decor pieces.  And maybe some different pillows on the chairs to also add in some color....And end tables on either side of the sofa....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I like the size of the room but I prefer window treatments for some privacy.  I would also add some decor and color to perk it up.

Honored Contributor

Staging to sell the house perhaps? Maybe there was a picture of a homely relative above the fireplace and the realtor said to take it down.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @AuntG - my first thought was that this looks like a staged house that's being sold. If it's not, then I sure wouldn't call it minimalist decor - just a lack of decor. The colors are blah, no table between the two chairs, an empty looking fireplace wall, and blank windows. If there is any bit of afternoon sun coming into those windows, it would be too warm and bright. Of more concern to me would be that anyone could be looking into my home at night....I wouldn't feel safe.

Honored Contributor

I would like some plantation shutters for light control if that is an issue and I lived there.  Otherwise I love the clean look, lack of clutter and "stuff".  

I once read that someone said "Why would you hang rags on the wall?" and I thought SPOT ON!  LOL!!!!  I have never been a fan of curtains.  They always look like a fine place for dust to hide to me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

I would like some plantation shutters for light control if that is an issue and I lived there.  Otherwise I love the clean look, lack of clutter and "stuff".  

I once read that someone said "Why would you hang rags on the wall?" and I thought SPOT ON!  LOL!!!!  I have never been a fan of curtains.  They always look like a fine place for dust to hide to me. 

@Sooner  I love plantation shutters (though I do like curtains too) and think they would be perfect for this space.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I love this room but it does need something over the fireplace. The windows are gorgeous with all that light streaming in. 

Built in blinds would be perfect for these windows. You could have bright sunshine by day and privacy by night.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE the room, just not it's contents.

I would be so tempted to put a more feminine spin on it with floral upholstered seating.  No dark colors (wood, metal, etc.)

But to be fair (to man), I'd furnish it with light citrus upholstered furniture -- think lemongrass or a soft yellow or coral--and perhaps glass tables.  A nice colorful print above mantel, no iron structures.  

I would arrange furniture so chairs flanked fireplace facing out and couch moved across room to face chairs.  Sofa table would then be seen, it's kind of obscure and oddly where it is now.

If a large property and strong afternoon and/or evening sun isn't an issue, no window coverings.

Geez, I really like this room.