Respected Contributor

Re: Plans for entertaining/gathering now that

I get my second vaccine on Saturday, and will not go to any functions until a couple weeks past that day.  

Toward the end of April I plan to start back at the gym and going to church again.  Will visit my sisters.

Not keen about restaurant eating with friends/family til probably summer.  Two family weddings in August....right now I plan to attend.  

All subject to change, but those are tentative plans.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac  I saw this on the news today:

Goodbye empty middle seats. Delta is selling the whole plane starting May 1

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We haven't entertained or had family gatherings for over a year. One of my siblings asked me the other day if we wanted to have a big family get together for Easter. I told her we would not be attending. Not everyone in our family is vaccinated yet, and a few have way too many contacts for my liking. With my weakened immune system I'm not ready to take that chance yet.

Once DH & I are completely vaccinated we will consider returning to church as long as people are still masked & socially distanced. I will also feel safer going inside stores, but I will still be masked. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's just the 2 of us, no kids but next weekend we are meeting friends for lunch for the first time in a year. They got their shots but did not go out for a year to a restaurant where on the other hand my husband and me eat out regularly. Different strokes. I'm just glad they are finally ready to get out.

Trusted Contributor

This is not over and is not going to be over for a very long time.  Going back to the way things were pre-pandemic  is in my opinion stupid, irresponsible, and selfish.  

Masks mandated or not are going to be with us for a very long time and handwashing,(hard to believe someone had to tell us to do that) will be as well.  Social distance probably shouldn't have been a bad idea either.

I will never go back to shaking hands vaccinated or not.  I thought that custom was icky anyway.  I will in the future be very much more selective about who I hug, fist bumps are fine for most people.

I was never a cruiser, never really cared much for Flying and Delta is in fact going to be opening up their middle seats very soon.

I was never much one for crowds so after my second vaccine on Tuesday and after the 2 week incubation period, I may sleep a little easier but I will still be wearing masks either where It is requested or where I feel more comfortable doing so.  I will be keeping my distance but I will just get out a little more.  to visit people but again keep that social distance.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  My twin brothers are turning 70 in July, so they are turning it into a family and friends reunion. Siblings and their children and grandchildren; also friends, and I think my brother's band from grad school. The siblings and friends are kinda old, so we have been vaccinated. Most of the children have been vaccinated as well. It will be outside, so I'm not seeing any roadblocks. Really looking forward to it! Now, I just have to lose that Covid 20 I gained over the last year! Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mominohio  My twin brothers are turning 70 in July, so they are turning it into a family and friends reunion. Siblings and their children and grandchildren; also friends, and I think my brother's band from grad school. The siblings and friends are kinda old, so we have been vaccinated. Most of the children have been vaccinated as well. It will be outside, so I'm not seeing any roadblocks. Really looking forward to it! Now, I just have to lose that Covid 20 I gained over the last year! Smiley Frustrated

@PA Mom-mom 

Oh this sounds wonderful!!!!!

I hope it all comes together and everyone can attend! 

I'm still amazed at how many people are staying totally locked away, even with the vaccines completed for them. We are still keeping my mom very separate and isolated. She is 85, and wants to get her vaccine from her primary care doctor, and they don't have it yet, although they are approved and waiting. So when it comes to her, there is very little difference in the lockdown process we have used all this time. 

Me, husband, son and grandson all had the virus this winter (for me it was at Thanksgiving) so I stopped being so paranoid, and have been getting together with my immediate family, so far so good. I'm guessing my antibodies are on the end stage of effectiveness, still deciding if, when, and which vaccine I want to take. 

I, too, am looking forward to warmer weather and being outdoors with more people, at the very least. After having this, I guess it takes the edge off somewhat, and while I'm still masking in public, still going places really early to avoid crowds, and not really going places I don't need to be, I'm just done living in fear about this. I hope that numbers continue to improve, and people can get back to whatever it is they love to be doing, and with those they love to be doing it with!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see much changing.  I will be glad to get vaccinated, as DH has been.  He may have to do more in person work come May.  He's been (mostly) home.  Our contacts have been limited but that will change.

I have relatives a 5 hour plane ride away and I have no idea when I am willing to do that again.  Even in the best of days I hated that flight.

I will be glad to take my dog into the vet, rather than hand him over in the parking lot - he's a rescue with aggressive tendencies and if you've had one like that you understand.  Let's just say he has some similarities with a prominent GSD named "Major".

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@PA Mom-mom 

Oh this sounds wonderful!!!!!

I hope it all comes together and everyone can attend! 

I'm still amazed at how many people are staying totally locked away, even with the vaccines completed for them. We are still keeping my mom very separate and isolated. She is 85, and wants to get her vaccine from her primary care doctor, and they don't have it yet, although they are approved and waiting. So when it comes to her, there is very little difference in the lockdown process we have used all this time. 

Me, husband, son and grandson all had the virus this winter (for me it was at Thanksgiving) so I stopped being so paranoid, and have been getting together with my immediate family, so far so good. I'm guessing my antibodies are on the end stage of effectiveness, still deciding if, when, and which vaccine I want to take. 

I, too, am looking forward to warmer weather and being outdoors with more people, at the very least. After having this, I guess it takes the edge off somewhat, and while I'm still masking in public, still going places really early to avoid crowds, and not really going places I don't need to be, I'm just done living in fear about this. I hope that numbers continue to improve, and people can get back to whatever it is they love to be doing, and with those they love to be doing it with!

@Mominohio, I have no idea of what advice you have given.

All I know is that my DD, a COVID survivor, was advised not to consider that she had immunity to the virus.  She was advised to get the vaccine, which she did.  I think she did a bit of independent research on this, as she is a scientist herself.  I am telling you this out of concern for you and your family.

Just because we are sick of this, the virus does not care.  And unfortunately, numbers of increasing, not decreasing.  Not to mention variant viruses.  Please take care.  All my best.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  Here's hoping you will be able to be with your Mom soon!  My DH was just able to visit his Mom and Step Dad in their apartment this past Sunday! They are 93 and 90. All are fully vaccinated, and the facility gave the OK. They were all thrilled! Prior to this, they had to speak through their apartment window or in the parking lot.