Esteemed Contributor

Re: Placement of Fireplace and Stairs

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  We used to use the real fireplace which has a gas starter until we had a couple of gas fireplaces installed in other rooms. They are so much more efficient and, no they don't need a chimney and/or exhaust like a woodburing fireplace. They are so much cleaner and easier to use.

I now keep the chimney vent blocked to prevent birds from entering the real fireplace! Haven't used that one in over 20 years and don't intend to ever use it again. The last two homes we've returned home to find a bird in the fireplace. Grateful for the glass doors which kept them inside rather than able to fly around our home. Both times it was frightening until my husband was able to retrieve the scared bird, which I wasn't about to do.  Woman Surprised  We decided to have the gas fireplaces installed after the second bird incident and have never regretted the decision. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  Looks like an attractive loft space with a gas fireplace. Unlike most lofts, this appears not to be as contemporary as I usually think of them. I still have my sights on a contemporary loft for my old age. Nice to know there is, however, a style for everyone's taste and the staircase and fireplace are perfect examples! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Overall it is a nice space and the windows are wonderful.

Just can't get over the TV over the fire and the plant so close.  Either it is posed or nonfunctional.

Valued Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I have never seen this type of living space, with a fireplace in such close proximity to the stairs.

What do you think about the floorplan?

May be an image of 1 person, furniture and living room

I've seen this type of layout before.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono 

I like the seating arrangement w/ fireplace.  It's more personal.  I don't care for their art pieces, nor the accessories on their cabinet.  The fireplace location is unusal but I'm thinking they must have either another one to be more practical for heating purposes throughout the home.  Thank you for sharing.

Respected Contributor

I missed the larger room in my earlier post.  But it's very nice.  That wall of windows is gorgeous.  For those who like city views, it's right up their ally.  The sofas are nice but I don't like the table styles.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono   There's just something about the stairway area that doesn't feel comfortable and relaxing to me.  I think it's probably because it seem like it would be a constantly traveled area to wherever you are headed to in that home.  The rest of the house is nice but the "sitting in front of the fireplace...reading a book feeling" escapes me in this one.

Honored Contributor

I dont care for the artwork, but overall as a space I like it! It is obviously a gas fireplace, so placement is no problem with the stairs or the television. The room is much bigger than I thought after seeing the whoel room, lovely space! 

Esteemed Contributor

The floorplan is different but I don't mind it.  The decor, however, is another matter.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown