Honored Contributor

Re: Placemats! Fabric or Plastic?

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee wrote:

@ECBG : Very beautiful table and room. Needs protecting . Have you thought about a glass topper or possibly to expensive?

@SouthernBee 

Thank you, my Dear.  I protect that table like you wouldn't believe.  It gets rubbed with lemon oil to keep the wood from drying out and protects from water marks.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

If you like using fabric mats and tablecloths then spray them with Scotchgard. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee @Marsha2003 @qualitygal @sometimesQVCaddict @RetRN @SouthernBee @Patriot3 @godi @BirkiLady @AuntG @Desertdi @Terrywu @Oznell @gidgetgh @Carmie @SXMGirl @NicksmomESQ @Kachina624

@Just Bling 

I so enjoyed this discussion!  Reading through the comments I was reminded that I always remind myself when serving that I need good table trivets for when others are here for dinner.  

We have 2 grandsons, 15 and soon to be 9 years old as well as a first cousin of mine and a brother in law who are often here for dinners.  Hot gravy can bleach a table horribly and of course it happens!

Since my hours increase around holidays, I just never acted on the thought "Get a nicer set of trivets, Girl!!!".

The mention of Ikea in this thread started my search, and I went to Ikea, Pottery Barn, Amazon and Etsy.  SO much to look at!

I loved Etsy the most and settled on a deep green marble that can be wiped clean and isn't going to be a laundry disaster waiting to happen!  The color will go beautifully with my blue based house. 

I don't want something that will be ruined after a few uses.

Thank you Ladies!!!Smiley Happy

Ladies, just found this on Etsy!  In LOVE!

These shapes are beautiful!  Perfect!

The wood is teak.

Solid wooden trivet handmade from natural solid teak Personal image 1

Honored Contributor

I prefer fabric placemats, they just seem more 'elegant' even for casual use. 

That said, with little ones, I did/have bought and used the educational plastic ones (with things on them like the presidents, money, alphabet, numbers, a map of the US, etc.)and some cute seasonal ones I think/thought they would enjoy. 

Respected Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict    Thanks so much!!!!!!

I used to travel to get to an IKEA and now that there is one literally at my back door and  I haven't been there.   I will make a trip and look, thanks so much.

I love the cork backed and if the tops are heat resistant that's the best.

I did find the brand I was looking for....Pimpernel

I used to find them at Bed Bath & Beyond but now they are only available online and not in our store.  Also, styles are limited too.  I could go direct but the min of $150 shipping is holding me back.