Honored Contributor

Re: Placemats! Fabric or Plastic?

No placemats at all for me.

@ECBG  your table is gorgeous.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Fabric only for me, @ECBG .   If I had any straw or other natural "reed" woven ones I'd use those--  love anything with texture.

Your table is so beautiful!

Valued Contributor

I can't see plastic on that beautiful table.  What an inviting room .  Fabric definitely 

Honored Contributor

The table at my summer home is an odd size 45 x 54" so it's impossible to get a tablecloth that fits correctly.

I prefer to use pretty linen dishcloths/tea towels at each place setting.  I specifically like large ones and 5 can sometimes cover the table completely, including the middle.  

I find ones that have nice color saturation as I serve a lot of tomato sauces especially for my grandchildren.

I can whip them off the table and they wash up nicely and I hang dry.  When I find a pattern I like I buy as many as possible so that I can cover my table and have backups.

Mackenzie-Childs is having a great sale now and I'm buying several sets in a pretty green color.  They match my Fiesta dishes and go well with the room's decor.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ECBG  Yes, I see. I had a different vision of a farm table in my mind. You have a lovely dining room!

@PA Mom-mom 

Thank you.  I have collected since I was 26 years old.  I reminded our favorite antique vendor of the wife he lost to cancer.

I would tell him what I wanted and he would bring it to me.  He was very kind.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On that gorgeous table, I'd use fabric ones. My farm table is more rustic and I only put placemats on it for Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

My guideline:

🍴 If serving children, or adults who still eat like children, give 'em plastic!

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I would definitely use a table pad on an heirloom...

@Desertdi 

Thank you.  Nothing hot ever touches the table.  I taught Interior Design and wrote the curriculum for 10 years for our state.

All of my antiques and all wood furniture gets rubbed with lemon oil weekly.  It's like moisture for a woman's complection.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

On that gorgeous table, I'd use fabric ones. My farm table is more rustic and I only put placemats on it for Christmas.

@AuntG 

Thank you.  I get some pretty place mats on Etsy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

fabric tablecloth or fabric placemats. for everyday meals i do prefer a tablecloth because i can easily throw it into the washing machine and dryer. with fabric placemats it becomes a bit more complicated. Smiley Wink

both my dining room table and my kitchen table are glass topped.

havent used plastic since probably the 70s, but i know they were popular.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein