Honored Contributor

Placemats! Fabric or Plastic?

I SO love pretty place mats!  I have a large, (really large) 150 year old farm table for a dining room table where we have dinner.

Heck yes!  I'm going to use it!  The antique table in the kitchen is too low for an adult, but was wonderful for children's breakfasts and lunch and homework.

I am going to enjoy the pretty placemats that I have seen. I really LOVE the Ralph Lauren placemats I got years ago from Marshal's. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Placemats! Fabric or Plastic?

The material of placemats should depend on the age of those eating.  I've fed nothing but adults for years so I don't own any made of plastic but I had some plastic when my son was young. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have placemats that are a coated material. I can usually clean them with a damp Scrub Daddy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  I only use cloth placemats, no matter the age sitting at my table.  I get them from a French lady in Marigot, SXM, and she brings them in from Provence.  I get my tablecloths from her, too.  The colors are vibrant and cheerful, and, of course, make me wish that I was either in SXM or Provence (no chance of that happening any time soon!).

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I only have fabric place mats, but find them annoying and don't use them often.

I prefer to use a tablecloth.  It is easy to pop it in washer and dryer.  Those placemats seem to slide all over the place and sometimes I find them on the floor.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My  table sits 6-8 and I forgo mats and use a runner and a glass table topper. This works best for my family.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  If it's a farm table you don't need placemats. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ECBG  If it's a farm table you don't need placemats. 

I do need placemats.  The table is over 100 years old and it helps protect the finish.  Just think of an iced tea glass that sweats.

20210610_171654.jpg

Honored Contributor

I would definitely use a table pad on an heirloom...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Yes, I see. I had a different vision of a farm table in my mind. You have a lovely dining room!