Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pier One harvest decor...

A bottlebrush chipmunk.  I wasn't expecting that.  So cute!

Bottlebrush Chipmunk Ornament

Honored Contributor

Small but so cute.  Pier OneNatural Foxes

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

And the saddle bags are packed! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Susan Louise, I have to say, the buyers from Pier One should be coming to you for designs. You have a great eye for arrangements! You have the variety, height and containers coordinated just perfectly.

Have you taken a class or worked doing arrangements before? If not, you are just a natural!

You've inspired me to think this way (doing something myself this year instead of looking to buy something), because the first pic of the piece from Pier One doesn't even compare in quality and design to what you have done. 

(insert bowing motion....to the master designer)

Bless your heart mominohio! Thank you Smiley Happy

No, no classes or training for making arrangements. Honestly, I think almost anyone can make them since it's truly so easy. Although I didn't use pictures to go by as a guide, I just went with collecting all the elements I wanted for the arrangement. It's also so easy to change the placement of each element/pick since they don't get glued in. Maybe halfway through building an arrangement, you would prefer a pick to be on the other side...viola...done...just lift and poke where you want it!  

All I did was go to HL and browse all the containers 1st (narrowing them down by size/color/material it's made of...ie basket, metal, wood, etc.

Then I went to the asile where all the Fall decor picks are...and there are oodles. I just grabbed all the ones that had elements that I wanted...berries, leaves (there are many picks with leaves...only a few had ones with the coloration mixes I liked), grasses (LOVE the messy looking long ones for added texture), sunflowers, etc.

Lastly, I got the green foam blocks and a pkg of that Scotch brand adhesive puddy to hold the blocks in place at the bottom of the containers before I started poking the picks through the foam blocks.

Another helpful tip is, to me, *more is better*. Don't skimp on what you put in the arrangements. I like having them overflow/spill over which to me, makes it a more natural appearance.

I suggest when you buy the picks, buy more than what you think you will need. IT's not fun having to go back to get more to fill the arrangement in. Remember, you can always return any extras you don't use, or use them for other things.

For example, I bought too many sunflowers for my 2 arrangements. However, I found some great uses for them, so I never even returned them! (see pics below)...

I hope this helps some folks take the chance and have some fun making their own arrangements...and please post pics when you do!!!! Smiley Very Happy

As for leaning how to do needlepoint, crocheting and knitting, I borrowed books from the library in my teens Smiley Happy

P1330097.JPG

P1330083.JPG

I love that cat in the top pic.

Hi Lucymo, I'm sure you recognize it as a JS piece. I got it back in 2004 from QVC. I think at the time it was between $50-$60. I have displayed it in the same place every year since except during the holidays.

HERE is some info I found about it...

Yes, and it's obvious that it is a good piece.  My eyes never focus on anything that isn't on the expensive side. LOL  Your home is just so welcoming, love to see the pics.

Esteemed Contributor

Just thinking ahead about what to put in my wire apothecary jar from Valerie.  I have the pewter one in my dining room year-round and change up what is inside. 

19.5 Metal Wire Apothecary Jar w/Finial Accent by Valerie

Here is the taller version:

Two possibilites for filler:

Crackle Gourd Bowl Filler

Velvet & Wood Gourd Mix

Velvet & Wood Gourd Mix

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

Just thinking ahead about what to put in my wire apothecary jar from Valerie.  I have the pewter one in my dining room year-round and change up what is inside. 

Velvet & Wood Gourd Mix

Velvet & Wood Gourd Mix

I wish they would give a size on the filler and not the box.  I have a lot of the small glass pumpkins from Dollar Tree and I can sometimes use those.  I don't have any gourds except plastic ones but they work.  I need to pull my Harvest out and see what I have.  I forget from one year to the other.  That sounds good though, Shopr.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

And the saddle bags are packed! LOL

Cuteness overload.  :-)

Valued Contributor

You might want to check out Big Lots for filler. I got some nice mini pumpkins, gourds and oversized acorns ( love these) in different colors last year at very reasonable prices. It might be a little early for them to be in stock, but I plan to check this week. They sell out fast at our store, HTH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SHOPR wrote:

Velvet & Wood Gourd Mix

Velvet & Wood Gourd Mix

I have both the large and small one in black. Those two mixes you found would work great! I also like countrygirl's idea of oversized acorns! 

I completely filled both of ours, but as in one of the pics you posted with the eggs in the tall jar, it's not necessary...half or 2/3 full looks just as nice.

Just to give you an idea, It took 2 bags of pinecones at HL and 2 sets of VPH beaded pumpkins (H203494) to fill both of jars...1 sm and 1 lg. The smaller jar I put on our coffee table, the tall one went on our kitchen table. 

I think this year I'll add a bit more color...similar to various colored small gourds like in the crackle gourd mix in your pic. I'll probably go to HL so I can hand pick them by colors though. Since our jars are black, I find that fillers on the dark side don't show up so well...like the dark small pumpkin in that crackle mix. However, it would show up in your jar much better since it's pewter.

I really like the mix you posted with the velvet pumpkins because they are far more versatile, but I probably wouldn't put them in our jars. The color velvet of those pumpkins are unique too and would blend in/coordinate wonderfully with so many things. I especially think the beige pumpkin is cool, and the pumpkin in the opposite corner has a unique pattern to it. I already have velvet pumpkins in the other 2 colors, but I could easily find a place for additional ones!

Now I'm thinking of getting one of those boxes at Pier One...LOL Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I remembered after posting the filler items above that I have quite a few of my own already.  I had forgotten.  I have some beaded pumpkins and gourds, some faux acorns, some leaf shaped acrylic gems (BL), pine cones, and the ceramic mini pumpkins from DT.  I am probably covered, but I will keep an eye on the price of these from P1, just in case. Ha Ha.