Honored Contributor

Re: Pier One harvest decor...

@Susan Louise  Your arrangements are stunning.  You have a great eye for composition, and the skills to carry it through!  Great job.

I love Pier One, too.  We're lucky enough to have one close by.  

My Christmas wreath is from a simple grapevine wreath I bought from them umpteen years ago and wound red and sparkly ribbon around, with a few other additions.  It looks rustic and festive at the same time.

I think I will add a few more items to it this year.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Susan Louise, I have to say, the buyers from Pier One should be coming to you for designs. You have a great eye for arrangements! You have the variety, height and containers coordinated just perfectly.

Have you taken a class or worked doing arrangements before? If not, you are just a natural!

You've inspired me to think this way (doing something myself this year instead of looking to buy something), because the first pic of the piece from Pier One doesn't even compare in quality and design to what you have done. 

(insert bowing motion....to the master designer)

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Susan Louise  Your arrangements are stunning.  You have a great eye for composition, and the skills to carry it through!  Great job.

My Christmas wreath is from a simple grapevine wreath I bought from them umpteen years ago and wound red and sparkly ribbon around, with a few other additions.  It looks rustic and festive at the same time.

Awwww, Thank you Homegirl! *blushes*. Your comment is very kind and appreciated Smiley Happy

If we lived closer together, I'd have you go to HL and pick out what you would like in an arragement and I'd be happy make it for you. I love doing crafty projects, but run out of folks to give them too...can only make so many needlepoint, knitting, crocheting, etc., and I don't want to start a business...LOL I get pure enjoyment making them and the bonus is making other happy Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

Susan Louise, I have to say, the buyers from Pier One should be coming to you for designs. You have a great eye for arrangements! You have the variety, height and containers coordinated just perfectly.

Have you taken a class or worked doing arrangements before? If not, you are just a natural!

You've inspired me to think this way (doing something myself this year instead of looking to buy something), because the first pic of the piece from Pier One doesn't even compare in quality and design to what you have done. 

Bless your heart mominohio! Thank you Smiley Happy

No, no classes or training for making arrangements. Honestly, I think almost anyone can make them since it's truly so easy. Although I didn't use pictures to go by as a guide, I just went with collecting all the elements I wanted for the arrangement. It's also so easy to change the placement of each element/pick since they don't get glued in. Maybe halfway through building an arrangement, you would prefer a pick to be on the other side...viola...done...just lift and poke where you want it!  

All I did was go to HL and browse all the containers 1st (narrowing them down by size/color/material it's made of...ie basket, metal, wood, etc.

Then I went to the asile where all the Fall decor picks are...and there are oodles. I just grabbed all the ones that had elements that I wanted...berries, leaves (there are many picks with leaves...only a few had ones with the coloration mixes I liked), grasses (LOVE the messy looking long ones for added texture), sunflowers, etc.

Lastly, I got the green foam blocks and a pkg of that Scotch brand adhesive puddy to hold the blocks in place at the bottom of the containers before I started poking the picks through the foam blocks.

Another helpful tip is, to me, *more is better*. Don't skimp on what you put in the arrangements. I like having them overflow/spill over which to me, makes it a more natural appearance.

I suggest when you buy the picks, buy more than what you think you will need. IT's not fun having to go back to get more to fill the arrangement in. Remember, you can always return any extras you don't use, or use them for other things.

For example, I bought too many sunflowers for my 2 arrangements. However, I found some great uses for them, so I never even returned them! (see pics below)...

I hope this helps some folks take the chance and have some fun making their own arrangements...and please post pics when you do!!!! Smiley Very Happy

As for leaning how to do needlepoint, crocheting and knitting, I borrowed books from the library in my teens Smiley Happy

P1330097.JPG

P1330083.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

Awwww, Thank you Homegirl! *blushes*. Your comment is very kind and appreciated Smiley Happy

If we lived closer together, I'd have you go to HL and pick out what you would like in an arragement and I'd be happy make it for you. I love doing crafty projects, but run out of folks to give them too...can only make so many needlepoint, knitting, crocheting, etc., and I don't want to start a business...LOL I get pure enjoyment making them and the bonus is making other happy Smiley Happy

Your home is so welcoming with all the colorful touches.  I love to do florals and yours show that you do too.  Thanks for sharing with us.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Susan Louise, Wow!  You have such wonderful talents!  Your home is so lovely, so tastefully decorated.  I love decorating that reflects a lot of love and personality - and that is your home.  Do you make house calls?

Valued Contributor

Susan Louise, Your arrangements are beautiful! You'd have more work than you could manage if you ever decided to sell your creations. pinky

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

No, no classes or training for making arrangements. Honestly, I think almost anyone can make them since it's truly so easy. Although I didn't use pictures to go by as a guide, I just went with collecting all the elements I wanted for the arrangement. It's also so easy to change the placement of each element/pick since they don't get glued in. Maybe halfway through building an arrangement, you would prefer a pick to be on the other side...viola...done...just lift and poke where you want it!  

All I did was go to HL and browse all the containers 1st (narrowing them down by size/color/material it's made of...ie basket, metal, wood, etc.

Then I went to the asile where all the Fall decor picks are...and there are oodles. I just grabbed all the ones that had elements that I wanted...berries, leaves (there are many picks with leaves...only a few had ones with the coloration mixes I liked), grasses (LOVE the messy looking long ones for added texture), sunflowers, etc.

Lastly, I got the green foam blocks and a pkg of that Scotch brand adhesive puddy to hold the blocks in place at the bottom of the containers before I started poking the picks through the foam blocks.

Another helpful tip is, to me, *more is better*. Don't skimp on what you put in the arrangements. I like having them overflow/spill over which to me, makes it a more natural appearance.

I suggest when you buy the picks, buy more than what you think you will need. IT's not fun having to go back to get more to fill the arrangement in. Remember, you can always return any extras you don't use, or use them for other things.

For example, I bought too many sunflowers for my 2 arrangements. However, I found some great uses for them, so I never even returned them! (see pics below)...

I hope this helps some folks take the chance and have some fun making their own arrangements...and please post pics when you do!!!! Smiley Very Happy

As for leaning how to do needlepoint, crocheting and knitting, I borrowed books from the library in my teens Smiley Happy

P1330097.JPG

P1330083.JPG

I love that cat in the top pic.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

P1330097.JPG

P1330083.JPG

I love that cat in the top pic.

Hi Lucymo, I'm sure you recognize it as a JS piece. I got it back in 2004 from QVC. I think at the time it was between $50-$60. I have displayed it in the same place every year since except during the holidays.

HERE is some info I found about it...

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

Looking through and browsing also doesn't mean you have to spend lots of money if you don't mind spending the extra time on making some decor yourself. For example, last year I made a couple of arrangements myself for under $50 of supplies. Below are 3 pics. The 1st one is of a new Pier One arrangement which looks quite similar to one of my arrangements (item # 2931633 currently $79 before any % off coupon). The other 2 images are of the 2 arrangements I made for a fraction of the cost from supplies I got from HL. It will also help if you have a hard time deciding between pieces you want and being able to narrow down your wishlist/s and help stretch the budget Smiley Happy

mmmmm2931633_1.jpg

P1330084.JPG

P1330082.JPG

I like yours much better!  Heart