Respected Contributor

Pier One a Huge Disappointment

Last fall I bought several decorative items.  I purchase two glass pumpkins and it appeared there was some kind of paper or foil inside.  Anyway, I took them out this year and they are covered with black spots.  I also purchased three or four of these glass pumpkins and they were all carefully packed in bubble wrap inside a box and in a closet when I put them away.  They are all cracked (not broken, just cracked throughout).  I also purchased several sets of really tiny lights.  They didn't last more than a couple uses and I had to keep replacing the batteries.  They sell junk IMO. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pier One a Huge Disappointment

Their shipping is terrible also.

Occasional Contributor

I cannot vouch for the glass pumpkin issue.  I have had several for a couple of years and had no problem.  I can however agree that their Glimmer Strings are terrible.  The batteries run out very quickly - only coming on 3-4 times before needing new batteries.  QVC's Bethlehem Lights are far superior.  As for shipping issues, I have never had a problem.  I always receive my orders within 2-3 days. 

Honored Contributor

I remember shopping at Pier One store when it was in our once-popular mall back when I was a teen in the seventies. It was such a cool store back then with all the neat hippie-chic stuff. Loved how you could smell the incense burning as you walked in the door. It's changed quite a bit since then. Seems now they sell a lot of junky stuff, but I'm sure there are nice things too. I don't go there anymore.

Honored Contributor

What else can I say about Pier One other than 99% of their stuff is made in China! That should explain a lot! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@IndyNana wrote:

I cannot vouch for the glass pumpkin issue.  I have had several for a couple of years and had no problem.  I can however agree that their Glimmer Strings are terrible.  The batteries run out very quickly - only coming on 3-4 times before needing new batteries.  QVC's Bethlehem Lights are far superior.  As for shipping issues, I have never had a problem.  I always receive my orders within 2-3 days. 

So true. My husband and I purchased a large lantern from them last year, and I had some flameless candles, so we bought the Glimmer Strings, and poof a week or so later ran out of batteries........I think I will purchase some from either Bethelem lights or Valerie this year......My husband couldn't believe how fast they ran out! 

Honored Contributor

I like Pier One.  Never had a problem with anything I bought there.  The store is only  a few blocks away from me.   I'm in there often.

Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

What else can I say about Pier One other than 99% of their stuff is made in China! That should explain a lot! 

So is QVC's. Everything is made there any more.

Honored Contributor

Their website isn't great either.  Talk about slow...

Honored Contributor

What a shame, I bought several mercury glass pumpkins from Target several years ago and they are still just beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**