Super Contributor

Picture hanging advice

[ Edited ]

I'm going to be hanging a heavy picture on a plaster wall.  It's about 5' long.  It already has the hanging wire on the back.    I bought the regular picture (50lbs) hangers at Lowe's.  What's the best way to tackle this?  Do I need 2 picture hangers, or will 1 suffice?  Thanks for your ideas.

Sea...

Esteemed Contributor

I have plaster walls and oversized pictures. You will need  a hanger on each corner of the picture to distribute the weight. 

Esteemed Contributor

Plaster is very hard - more like cement than drywall.  It can shatter - chip - pieces break off when you put the DRILL to it.  Not really hammer (tool) type job.  Yes, wire on 2 top corners to hold 50 lbs hanging.

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl   You may need to use toggle bolts on plaster walls.  Google how to hang a picture on plaster walls.  Many articles and You Tube videos will come up.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I will be looking for your follow-up post, @seaswirl , as I have beautiful, 85 year old plaster walls.

I'd make sure I located any electrical lines running behind the wall area, used a stud finder, and made sure screw and anchor went into a stud.

There are tricks using tape on the surface to help prevent wall cracks when drilling.

Also, I'd drill small first, and carefully drill successively larger, until the hole was the right size.

Please view these techniques on YouTube before starting.

Good luck!   ☺

Honored Contributor

How about one of the Hangman Hangers? We used those for large mirrors. It says it can be used on plaster.

They sell them at Home Depot, Amazon etc.

Heavy-Duty Mirror and Picture Hanger is Hangman's classic and bestselling product. Consisting of 2 aluminum interlocking brackets, hanger can be used indoors or outdoors, on all surfaces. Included bubble level ensures accurate installation. Can be adjusted left or right after installation.

• Interlocking brackets provide secure installation of mirrors and artwork
  • Patented heavy-duty hanger supports up to 400 lbs.
  • Brackets are non-corrosive, constructed of aircraft grade aluminum
  • 42 in. W brackets are designed for safe installation of larger items
  • Mounting bracket is attached to back of item to be hung, other bracket attached to wall
  • Included bubble level is inserted into wall track for hanging accuracy
  • 1/2 in. bear claw screws are self-drilling, no pilot holes needed unless frame moulding is delicate
  • Walldog anchorless screws install quickly and easily with a Phillips screwdriver in wallboard, plywood, concrete, hollow or grout-filled block, brick and plaster.