Honored Contributor

Re: Peterboro Baskets going out of business

That is too bad. I have two items from them, both purchased at QVC. One is a basket and the other a lazy Susan. 

Esteemed Contributor

The owners are also taking advantage of the confluence of events (labor shortage, ash wood supply woes) to pursue their retirement. 

Good for them and good luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Watching house flipping shows todays younger house owners/buyers do not like the "basket look".  The home decorator may place 1 or 2 but they are more modern looking than Peterboro or Longenbarger Baskets, which have a more "old fashioned homey" look.  IMHO of course.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mominohio 

I have many I bought just because of Walters demos back then!  I especially love the large one I store my blankets in.

Sad to hear this ... then again, not surprised.  Not to many "craftsman" out there anymore.  Not sure if this is true I frequented the Amish furniture store in our flea market (NJ).  When I lived there over the years I'd bought many beautiful pieces of furniture -- I ordered my shed from them.  My relative told me some of the pieces are now "imported" and sold as "Amish crafted pieces".  That's a shame if true.

I have quite a few Longaberber baskets, I preferred them over the Peterboro baskets...just my preference.  As far as the  'craftsman' comment @homedecor1  is right.  I used to attend a very large craft show in Ohio, it was a 3 weekend event in the fall.  Beautiful handcrafted items, that had very talented people creating lovely items.  I have not gone for a couple of years as the number of vendors dropped because the craftsman were getting older and no one to carry on.  I purchased many things over the years for my home as well as for gifts.

Honored Contributor

After they sold them on qvc, they had a outlet at peterboro, my mom and i would go there to buy them, so sad they are going out of business, such nice baskets.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

if my memory is right, they started out as one company but owners had a disagreement and co. split in two. That's why they are so similar. LB closed several yrs ago and are trying to make a limited comeback. Last i knew.  I have lots of LB baskets and a couple of Peterboro. I like them both. It's sad  to lose the craftsmen and the art of basket making. 

i guess it's just one of those things that have run their course.

i think 4th of July, was when they featured american made products. black hills gold was another that has gone away, too.

Regular Contributor

We were just up in NH and stopped at the Peterboro Factory in April.  Much less stock to choose from in the showroom, but I did get a great knitting basket and another utility-type basket.  The associate working in the store told me they were down to 7 employees.  Business would pick up prior to the holidays but otherwise it was kind of quiet in the store.  Years ago, we used to be able to go into the production area where they had the basket "seconds," less than perfect but pefectly functional.  It makes me very sad that they are closing now, but I understand the reason for it.

Honored Contributor

I also got an email about Peterboro Basket Co. I was sad to learn after 168 years they are closing. I enjoyed Walter Hood all the times he was on QVC.

I ordered three more baskets on Sunday May 15th with the 35% off coupon.Wish all of them well,

Happy Thursday Good Morning Have A Great Day-wm525

Honored Contributor

I haven't thought about Peterboro for years. I do have many of them too. and I do use them when I need to.

Super Contributor

I just placed an order for a few more baskets......35% off. I have many baskets from Peterboro. I do not care what the younger generation likes or dislikes......I love these baskets and use them every day. They do not sit around and draw dust in our house !

I am very sad to see the company close but I wish the owners a very happy retirement !

As the old saying goes....another one bites the dust.