Honored Contributor

Peterboro Baskets going out of business

I got an email yesterday that the baskets that used to sell on QVC back in the day, Peterboro, is going out of business. 

Do others remember Walter Hood being on set and weaving the baskets? It seems that I remember them being on on the Fourth of July several times, maybe the TSV that day. 

I purchased quite a few of them over the years. They are very well made, super heavy, real work horses. 

They have been in business since 1854. 

So sad, but another American company, making a truly great product is going to be gone.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Peterboro Baskets going out of business

@Mominohio  Yes I remember them and the man weaving. Lots of their baskets were almost exact to Longaberger. Great quality from both companies. Sad that another very established business is closing.

Honored Contributor

They were so super popular at QVC at one time, its hard to imagine.  Seemed like they were on all the time.  I wonder why their popularity took such a dive?  Any ideas?  People still use baskets, don't they?  Or do they want plastic?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

I have many I bought just because of Walters demos back then!  I especially love the large one I store my blankets in.

Sad to hear this ... then again, not surprised.  Not to many "craftsman" out there anymore.  Not sure if this is true I frequented the Amish furniture store in our flea market (NJ).  When I lived there over the years I'd bought many beautiful pieces of furniture -- I ordered my shed from them.  My relative told me some of the pieces are now "imported" and sold as "Amish crafted pieces".  That's a shame if true.

Esteemed Contributor

I own a few.  I think buying more would be a nistake. Well made and rather quaint but not  oin everyones BUY LIST these days.,  

Respected Contributor

I think using decorative baskets isn't as popular now.  I see stacks of woven baskets at thrift stores and many are well made and sturdy.  So sad to hear that the company is ending.  One other change I have seen during my shopping time with QVC.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

They were so super popular at QVC at one time, its hard to imagine.  Seemed like they were on all the time.  I wonder why their popularity took such a dive?  Any ideas?  People still use baskets, don't they?  Or do they want plastic?

----------------

Probably priced themselves out of the market.  I'm assuming people would rather spend less money for a basket from such places like Hobby Lobby, etc. 

Respected Contributor

It is sad. I loved the baskets and greatly enjoyed watching Walter Hood's craftsmanship ----a true artisan.

Lets' hope new artisans come along, new businesses.

'In Brooklyn, where I live there is a real renaissance of 

glass blowing, metal work, etc.

Respected Contributor

I have about a dozen Peterboro baskets that I bought in 2000. Great quality. 
Not surprised they're going out of business, sad. 

Occasional Contributor

This NH company is closing due to their shrinking workforce (pandemic) as well as the challenge getting the Ash used to produce the baskets due to the Emerald Ash borer. This was reported on the news.   They will be closing this summer or in the fall. 

Sad.