Contributor

Re: Percale Sheets Like Grandma Used to Have

Funny you said Ralp Lauren.  I had a percale from RL that I had for many years, still have the top sheet.  Wish I could replicate it at a price I can afford.

Honored Contributor

Company Store has good quality sheets.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Percale is the best in my estimation. Always thought it was a shame that 'thread count' seemed to surpass all other criteria and percale became harder to find. Now, it's coming back but with higher prices. I guess we should have figured this is how it would roll out.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@decaf 

ITA ......   Sheet quality "ain't what it used to be" .....   a few months ago I scored a gorgeous set of Charter Club satiny sheets from Macy's ... $120 for the set, on sale for $48.  Never occurred to me to check out "Charter Club", but I was very surprised.   Sorry I didn't buy more.  Best sheet purchase in decades!   HTH  

Respected Contributor

I've been searching for quality percale sheets for a few years. The sets I've bought recently are nothing like the older sheets.

But then, most products now days are of poorer quality. 

Super Contributor

@decaf  Bed, Bath, and Beyond has a sheet by Wamsutta called Dream Zone.  100% Pima cotton. Nice and crisp and cool.  These are the best sheets I have ever used.  Loved them so much bought a couple of sets.  A little pricy but so worth it.

Trusted Contributor

@EZ shopper wrote:

@decaf  Bed, Bath, and Beyond has a sheet by Wamsutta called Dream Zone.  100% Pima cotton. Nice and crisp and cool.  These are the best sheets I have ever used.  Loved them so much bought a couple of sets.  A little pricy but so worth it.

@EZ shopper  Thank you, that's high praise.  And thanks for the specific name of the sheets under the Wamsutta brand.  I'm headed to BBB this week. I'll be sure to let you know if I find them.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb   I agree, they snuck in more polyester into the fabric as they decreased the cotton and just concentrated on meaningless high thread count. I'll take 200 TC pure cotton any day over 1200 TC manmade polyester.  It's similar to what clothing manufacturers did with cotton rich clothing in the last ten years or so. It's just healthier to have natural fibers next to your skin. And I don't  hear anyone talking about all of this non-biodegradable poly/microfiber filling up our landfills.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

I do not like sateen sheets.  Can anyone recommend a brand of 100% cotton, percale sheets, the old fashioned kind?  I'm looking for ones just 200-400 thread count tthat are smooth, crisp and cool to the touch.  Thank you

Land's End sells nice percale sheet sets.  

Honored Contributor

Why is the spacing all screwed up in this thread?   When I grew up sheets were sheets and there was no such thing as 800 theads.  One thing we have one a Mangle and I would press our pillowcases and sheets on it.  I lived in a blue collar neighborhood where everyone knew just about everyone in the City of Chicago.  

kindness is strength