Esteemed Contributor

Re: People searching for homes

@qualitygal

These home shows are scripted to make them more interesting. People should have expectations on what's important to them -- location, price range, amenities, tile floors, etc. When u see a program, the buyers have already bought - and moved in. They pretend like they've never seen the house before. Have u noticed that most houses u see the realtor and buyers walking thru are vacant? Most of the time, people are still living in their homes when they put it on the market.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

So often the people coming to look at homes have no intention to actually buy. They are looky loos. Meanwhile , the poor homeowners have to run around cleaning and stowing all their personal stuff then find somewhere else to be for about 45 min. while these looky loos are in their home, for absolutely no reason. Hateful people! Our realtor told us he had to actually stop one showing because it was 4 young people who just would not stay together so he could watch them. They kept separating and were all over the house, looking in things that weren't their business, like the bedside nightstand drawers and other furniture. Anyway, he stopped the viewing after 10 min as he felt they were just casing the place to see what they could steal.

A good realtor would not show someone a home unless they had a bank pre approval in their hand. Cute down on gawkers.

@ccassaday  This isn't required on open house days, anyone can go through the house.  I prefer the virtual tour online, that is what I will do if I ever have to move.  If someone likes the house, they can make an appointment to see it, very common in this area.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

So often the people coming to look at homes have no intention to actually buy. They are looky loos. Meanwhile , the poor homeowners have to run around cleaning and stowing all their personal stuff then find somewhere else to be for about 45 min. while these looky loos are in their home, for absolutely no reason. Hateful people! Our realtor told us he had to actually stop one showing because it was 4 young people who just would not stay together so he could watch them. They kept separating and were all over the house, looking in things that weren't their business, like the bedside nightstand drawers and other furniture. Anyway, he stopped the viewing after 10 min as he felt they were just casing the place to see what they could steal.

A good realtor would not show someone a home unless they had a bank pre approval in their hand. Cute down on gawkers.

@ccassaday  This isn't required on open house days, anyone can go through the house.  I prefer the virtual tour online, that is what I will do if I ever have to move.  If someone likes the house, they can make an appointment to see it, very common in this area.

Oh I agree with you about open houses. I wasn’t talking about them. I don’t think showing is a huge issue either if that is what the realtor wants. I was talking for from a sellers stand point about accepting a offer without that letter.

Honored Contributor

Okay, this has been bothering me for a while but I have to get it off my back so...

The word Realtor is spelled with a capital 'R'. Anyone else in the field is a real estate agent. Realtor is a trademarked name for a person who is a licensed real estate agent.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

FYI, the actual trademarked name is spelled in all-capital letters.........REALTOR.

It's a term misused  by the public so often that the trademarked label has been largely forgotten, except by firms and individuals who are actual dues-paying members of the National Association of REALTORS, of course.

A person can hold a state-issued real estate license  as a salesperson or broker without becoming a REALTOR.   However, the state will only allow a salesperson's license to be activated if it's held by a broker, who is responsible for supervising the agents in the brokerage firm.  Otherwise the salesperson's license continues to reside with the state and can't be used.  If the salesperson changes from one firm to another, the license has to be returned to the state and reissued to the new brokerage firm.

.Virtually all residential brokerage firms are NAR members, which is the only way they can  have access to the local multiple listing system.  Brokers require the agents in their firm to be dues-paying NAR members, as well.

Thus,  virtually all real estate "agents" are REALTORS these days, unless their license is on an inactive status and they have not joined a firm.

LOL........this is probably way more  info than anyone here wants or needs!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As some have stated, REALTOR (r) is the term that can be used only by those who are members of the National Association of Realtors (NAR).

Here is a site with some info, plus a useful quiz:

https://www.nar.realtor/logos-and-trademark-rules/top-5-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-realtor-tr...

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@ Reality TV is not really Reality. All of those type shows are scripted.  The are merely another form of entertainment. And somehow hgtv I am sure is paid by manufactures of certain prducts. For instance, some years ago either Brazilian hardwood floors or bamboo floors was always chosen, everyone has to have granite, couples walk into a purely fine kitchen and bath and say, oh no way, this is a total gut job, and no I will not consdider this house,  it has carpet and i can't stand those paint colors .. What ?  

Also the buyers always use phrases like " this space". 

Even Chip and Joanna use the guise of house hunting, but it has been said by folks on the show that a lot of times that is juswt for the show, a lot of people already have purchased their property.  And how is it their kids are so well behaved and meticuosly, no chaos neat. A lot of editing

I like these shows at times also. But seen them once and you have seen them all. 

Each show pretty much does every house in the same style and footprint.   I wish they would show something Clint made on the Gaines show  besides a table. 

I understand everyone has a right to like /dislike anything. But on one episode of fixer upper, Joanna hung a completely rusted out bicycle on the wall above a desk in her clients office.  I would have told her to immediately get that off my wall.

I like them though. Fake as it may be. It is just tv. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Most of the people buying homes here in Florida are paying cash so there is no reason to need to get preapproved for mortgages.We have been looking for about a year and never got any preapproval because we are paying cash.

not true. 

Cash sales peaked in the first quarter of 2011, when more than seven out of 10 deals didn’t involve a loan.

“The market has dramatically shifted,” said Mike Pappas, president of Keyes Co. in Miami. “Cash drove the market in the bottom-feeding and opportunistic times, but today we have a real market with real buyers, and they need mortgages.”

Investors descended on South Florida in 2011 and 2012 as the six-year housing bust was ending. With prices hitting bottom, bargain hunters with fistfuls of cash scooped up foreclosures and short sales for pennies on the dollar.

The competition was so fierce that some real estate agents were telling clients who needed mortgages that they had little hope of winning bidding wars for the homes. Sellers much prefer cash to financing because they know the deals are likely to close more quickly and with fewer hassles.

Today, though, with values rising and distressed homes in short supply, investors who remain in the market are all competing for the same few properties, said David Dweck, founder of the Boca Real Estate Investment Club.

“The days of the high-profit flip are over, for sure,” he said. “There will always be foreclosures, but they won’t be at the level we experienced in the past.”

Most RETIREES are not going to buy a home on credit. They either have sold a home elsewhere to buy in Florida or they have the means to buy one outright for cash.The % of people who are below retirement age buying homes in Fl. is VERY SMALL. My small town is about 90% retirees and about 3/4 of them only come here in the winter. That's why villas are so popular in Fl. - most people are not looking for a full size home to live in full time and store everything they own.

Didn't you say you went to a bank for pre-approval? Why? If you are one of those retirees buying a home for cash, you don't need any kind of approval from a bank. A realtor simply needs your banking information, check your liquid assets to be able to pay cash, and you're done. 

Not that it's any of your business but we are getting a minimum mortgage to carry for 90 days because the mortgage company will pay $10,000 of closing costs if we do that. Would YOU throw away $10,000? I'm betting you wouldn't.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@Mominohio

No, not EVERYONE pays cash for houses in Florida. I did not, nor did anyone that I know.

I have lived here a very, very long time. There have always been retiree communities, but there are also lot of OTHER places with diverse populations and neighborhoods. SOME come here with a boatload of cash, but not everyone.

I live in a regular, non-retiree neighborhood where people go to work every day. I go to work every day!

SOME people are retired, and some are not.

My school has 2700 students. Are their parents retired? There are dozens of other schools in my district. Their parents must work! Where do working families get cash to pay for a house?

It is important not to generalize!

@flickerbulb

I didn't write the post that said Everyone in FL pays cash for homes. 

I believe that was 151949 that said that. 

There is something up with the quoting here, and it seems to not be showing all the names of the various quotes when there are multiple quotes in one post. 

Regardless, I didn't say that and don't appreciate being yelled in a condescending manner,  about something I didn't even post.

I NEVER said EVERYONE in florida pays cash for a home. I did post the statistic that 2/3 of homes sold in Fl. do not have a mortgage. I said the majority pay cash and the stated stastistic proves I'm correct.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@ Reality TV is not really Reality. All of those type shows are scripted.  The are merely another form of entertainment. And somehow hgtv I am sure is paid by manufactures of certain prducts. For instance, some years ago either Brazilian hardwood floors or bamboo floors was always chosen, everyone has to have granite, couples walk into a purely fine kitchen and bath and say, oh no way, this is a total gut job, and no I will not consdider this house,  it has carpet and i can't stand those paint colors .. What ?  

Also the buyers always use phrases like " this space". 

Even Chip and Joanna use the guise of house hunting, but it has been said by folks on the show that a lot of times that is juswt for the show, a lot of people already have purchased their property.  And how is it their kids are so well behaved and meticuosly, no chaos neat. A lot of editing

I like these shows at times also. But seen them once and you have seen them all. 

Each show pretty much does every house in the same style and footprint.   I wish they would show something Clint made on the Gaines show  besides a table. 

I understand everyone has a right to like /dislike anything. But on one episode of fixer upper, Joanna hung a completely rusted out bicycle on the wall above a desk in her clients office.  I would have told her to immediately get that off my wall.

I like them though. Fake as it may be. It is just tv. 

This, a thousand times over!  Thank you, @webbgarner1

It's led to the brainwashing of America.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.