Super Contributor

We should keep Tax Returns for 7 years. I just went through my returns and actually kept 8 yrs to be safe.

Went turn warranties and took out items we no longer have.

Went through work stuff and sadly pulled out appraisals, binder of healthcare,... The only connection I still have is a small pension and a life insurance policy.

Went through college stuff and will burn that. I went late in my career.

Now I should be able to get in my roll top desk drawers.

Accomplishment - throw out my old file cabinet ( not fireproof)

Esteemed Contributor

You've done very well! Congratulations

(I need to get off this sofa and follow your lead)

Honored Contributor

This sounds very familiar, casuallady. Last year in the midst of my purging and decluttering, I took on the challenge of going through old paperwork. I actually kept all of our old tax returns, but purged old medical paperwork, old warranties, old vehicle loan papers, etc. I still have all of my husband's paycheck stubs from his years in the mines (nearly 30 years ago), plus all of the paperwork from those years, due to the fact we are working on his Black Lung claim. It was very freeing to burn and shred all those papers, and know there's less clutter in the house.

Esteemed Contributor

Wonderful, encouraging thread! Smile

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I have been doing this same thing for several years...wanting to move....it is a liberating experience isn't it?!

I can open cupboards/drawers and they are empty, I love it.

Honored Contributor

I do this about once a year, and I can't believe how much paper rules our lives. I am not one to let that kind of thing stack up, as I deal with the mail and paper in my life everday and don't procrastinate, but even those "important" things need weeding out every so often. Congrats on getting it done!

Esteemed Contributor

I cleared the office of paper & clutter! I did our walk-in closet a couple of weeks ago.

I need to go through kitchen & laundry room cabinets again. I need to was walls too.

Super Contributor
Good for you casuallady. When I last moved, about 5 years ago, I stumbled upon boxes of my tax returns. I even had the ones I filed with my husband and he's been gone 30 years. I have no idea why I kept them, but it was fun to see what our income had been like back then. Now I onky have ones back 15 years. Someone told me they can audit back 7 years but if they find something, they can go back a total of 14 years. Don't know if thats right or not. I also shredded the utility deposit forms, the purchase/sale paperwork of every house I ever purchased or sold except the one i am in now. I was a real paper packrat and didn't even know it. Feels so much better now.
Honored Contributor

great work! I have been putting stacks of papers to shred in boxes; DH moves the shredder to the den during football and shreds during commercials....loves drowning out the commercials and I get a huge trashbag full of shreds to toss....I have stuff in cabinets I forgot I even had...the real purge begins next Saturday....and I hope it gives me a sense of accomplishment...can't wait to get started.

Super Contributor

I keep going back to our kitchen. The more I scrap, or box for charity, the easier to prepare food, and the likely we will cook and bake. How many sets of measuring cups do I need? I have 3 sets, thinking 2 is enough. I have a small melon scoop. Does anyone use one. I just cut my melons in small squares??? My daughter in law uses a larger one for drop cookies and they are all uniform in size.

What about a pampered chef apple peeler?? Way two many mugs and sets of plastic cups. A lettuce keeper?

I guess I am abscessed but it is so freeing once it is organized.

Saturday I organized the pantry, and used up some stuff.