Super Contributor

I have a nice mirror in my living room that is framed in gold. I know Ihave read gold is out. So whstdoyou think of painting the frame a nice color to accent the room. Thoughts

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paintings mirror frame

[ Edited ]

It could be done. As long as you could find out what the material is that frames the mirror, you can get the paint. You will have to do a few coats to get rid of the gold.

Most of the time acrylic paint works.

Respected Contributor

@crazered 

I'm not sure if gold is out, but you can paint if if you would like a different color.  I repainted a frame that I had and it came out great!

if you get paint on the mirror, you can use a razor blade to get it off.  I didn't remove the mirror from the frame, I just taped the mirror where it met the frame and protected the walls, used a brush, and painted it while it still hung on the wall since it was so heavy.  

Since it didn't need too much paint, I just purchased one of the $4 sample paint pots from Lowes that you can have customized with your color.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@crazered I am not sure gold is out. I have seen several flip shows where gold faucets and accessories were used. Maybe think twice before painting.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paintings mirror frame

[ Edited ]

A bottle or two of Craft Paint should also work.  That´s what I use for almost everything.

One good thing about this is that you can chamge the color anytime you want.

Trusted Contributor

Go for it, DIY projects are fun and it will totally change the look.   

Esteemed Contributor

@crazered wrote:

I have a nice mirror in my living room that is framed in gold. I know Ihave read gold is out. So whstdoyou think of painting the frame a nice color to accent the room. Thoughts

@crazered  IMO gold is only out if you no longer like it.  I don't much care what "they" say is in or out in decor or clothing.  It's what works for me.

Honored Contributor

If you insist on painting the frame, I suggest you choose a color that accents the painting, not necessarily the room. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

it's a mirror not a painting. 

Honored Contributor

@crazered One thing I can attest to:  If gold is "out" now it will be back in by the time you repaint.

If you follow trends the only thing you can count on is a dated room a year or two later.