Esteemed Contributor

If you've painted the front door (mine is steel), did you prime, did you take it down or leave it up, and did you brush or roll?

I'm still trying to figure out the whole "keeping the dog in the house" issue!

Thanks.  

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

The painter we used left it up and painted with a brush. The door could not be closed for a while until the paint cured and it wouldn't stick. I left it open 3 or so inches all day. (He painted it first thing in the morning.) I don't know if steel needs a primer, but our wooden door was just painted.

Honored Contributor

Re: Painting a Front Door

[ Edited ]

I believe most steel doors come primed when you buy them so all you need to do is paint them.

My front door is wood and I had it primed first then painted. The painter did not take the door down. He used a brush because my door is not a flat surface. Had to leave the door open for a few days. I just locked my storm door so that wasn't an issue.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   Lock the dog in a bedroom.  Everything I've ever read recommended removing the door and hardware, which is why my door has never been painted. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

we just painted our very tall front door using a sprayer. It worked well and the door looks great.

Esteemed Contributor

For clarity, the door has been painted before, and is peeling in some spots.

Should I sand?  (I'll have to scrape.)

Planning for a low humidity day for quick drying.  I think I'll paint around the hardware and keep the door up.  Unfortunately we don't have a storm door so the dog will have to be carefully monitored!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

The sprayer, @sydsgma1 - I'm envious.  When I've bought a brand new door (in a past home) the finish was glorious.  They used a technique like when cars are painted.  Nearly flawless.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Peeling paint certainly needs to be sanded. Without a storm door, I would consider oil paint to protect and preserve the paint job longer. Sorry, but I know nothing about the painting aspect; always hired that done. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I painted just the outside of my steel front door last year. It had been painted before but it had been 15 years and had a few nicked paint spots (not peeling) which I first sanded only those spots.  I then took a clean wet cloth to wipe the dirt off the door and let it dry really well.  I then painted it using a mini roller and a brush where needed. I decided to leave the door up and taped around the door handle and lock. It turned out good.

Honored Contributor

If you sand and scrape then you'll need to prime it again if you get down to the metal. Another thing, though a bit more expensive, is using a paint and primer in one.