Esteemed Contributor

We had both the inside and outside painted a few months ago. The only tip I have is to hire somebody. We don't have the patience for all the little things, tape never works, messy, hate ladders. I'm sure I could go on. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PatsShoes , you are absolutely right on time!  I just stood on the tub edge and looked at my goal wall today for the first coat.  Yes, that will be the limit of my capabilities for this day.

Rock on with the painting!  Your guest baths sounds lovely.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman , totally.

You will do a nicer job than anyone.  I'm amazed at how badly painted my home's interior was/is.  Though, I can fall back on that as an excuse if things are not quite up to snuff when I'm done.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Even before the knees became a problem with kneeling, I would use tape to protect edges of floor, baseboards, door jambs, etc.

Perhaps taping the edges where cutting in is a pain could lessen the pain.  It does take time but also saves it by protecting from mistakes.

The worst problem when painting is when your eyes get so used to the new color / shade that you don't see a missed spot until you're done !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

When we were in lock down, my husband and I remodeled the powder room.  He was in charge of removing and putting in new toilet and vanity.  I was in charge of painting.  I have A LOT of crown molding in my home, even in the powder room/bathrooms.  It's pretty though.  I started with the ceiling, then did the crown molding (starting from the top) and then did crown molding on floor.  I painted the walls last using a roller but "cutting" into the corners with a paint brush first.  I had to do 2 coats because the previous owners had it a dark burgundy walls with a gold ceiling.  I recommend using frog tape so paint doesn't bleed.  It's not a large powder room, it took me a long time.  I wouldn't be able to paint a larger space.

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz , I generally tape where our baseboards meet the toe moulding.  I would have designed this whole thing differently but we work with what we have (no toe mould, better underlying floor, etc).

One thing I try to do is keep the color from stem to stern - the same one on the trim as the ceiling as the walls.  I like the look and it does account for some slop, except for sheen, which is generally a washable flat and a satin for the trim.  I hate shiny walls (and they show all the imperfections).

I know what you mean about seeing/not seeing things.  As soon as my mind strays my brush does, too.  But the energy to stay on task is draining!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

if you are painting over a dark color  as you say Pepto pink , I would not  skimp  on using a good product to cover it over such as Kilz .  You can ask an experienced  paint store  staff if a primer will do it  but  any dark color needs to be prepainted before painting over with your new color if it is lighter than the previous color

Trusted Contributor

I am not a painter, especially since my RA got nasty, but even before that I really did not enjoy it. Luckily a neighbor of ours is a painter by trade so when I need painting she gets the call and I pay her to do it. She's good, she cleans up and we finish it quickly. Painting our family room takes forever, it is wainscoting halfway but it's tough to paint, stucco, including the ceiling, and it is a very large room with a lot of trimming to do due to built in fieldstone bar, fireplace and trim. I am also a very boring painter...every painted wall in our house is white.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

Re: Painting Walls

[ Edited ]

I used to paint rooms in this house, clean everything and have the room back in order by the end of the day.  Not now!   

I have not painted anything in this house since retiring in 2013.  My hands cramp up trying to use a paint brush or roller; I'm slow, and quite messy.  Thankfully, our contractor painted the main bath after our big redo 6 months ago.  He hates to paint too, but the addition of shiplap on 2 walls greatly reduced painted wall space, so he primed the walls before his lunch break and painted right before he quit for the day.  

Teacher daughters room really needs to be painted, but it will be a major job to empty the room, prime the walls and paint.  I will definitely hire someone to do that BIG job!  

Esteemed Contributor

Another few hours of painting under the belt!

I am making headway and I thank you all for commiserating.

I have good results with Sherwin Williams Superpaint.  Some insist on Ben Moore but there's a SW store 5 mins away and I've gotten good advice there.

Superpaint isn't universally loved amongst the pro set but I find it quite durable and easy to apply.  The big A is delivering some new supplies tomorrow (including Red Devil "One Time" spackle - good stuff).  2 good days of work and I think this will be done.  Of course, at the rate I'm going that means an actual 4 days.

Cogito ergo sum