Respected Contributor

Has anyone had their kitchen cabinets professionally painted?  People do this themselves, but I'm just not that talented. Does it look authentic and does it last?  Don't mean to be nosey, but is it very expensive?   Will the paint will chip.  I'd love white or bisque cabinets, but just don't want to spend a small fortune on new ones.

Any info or advise you can share will be appreciated. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Do you know anyone who's a handy-man type?   Nephew, brother, cousin?

My aunt redid her cabinets by just changing the doors - bought the doors and my uncle (her brother) switched the doors.

My father and brothers were handy - just sanded the cabinets and repainted.

Honored Contributor

One of the things that happens with painted cabinets is that they chip!!  Fingernails do it, putting a pan inside and missing getting the whole pan in and you hit the side of the cabinet will do it....  If you're like me, you'll not like that aspect and "touching" it up will not look the same.  Painted cabinets went out of style and wooden cabinets came roaring in.... now, with redoing older homes, it will save money but eventually they will need painting again, or total replacement.  I personally really like the look of painted cabinets but have always resisted.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not, but my neighbor did (we had the same cabinets, as it was in a condo). She did have them professionally done by a reputable company. Personally, I didn't like the outcome. Painted cabinets won't look smooth and there'll always be evidence of the grain of the wood. The neighbor painted them white and went with a modern look, that may be what threw me off. If it were a more rustic aesthetic, it may have had an overall improved look. 

I don't recall her cost, but I rememover thinking she could have had them refaced and bought new hardware for a similar price. But the cabinets were about 7-8 years old, so the interiors were in good condition.

Honored Contributor

If I had any other option, I'd do that. 

My sister and BIL put new cabinets in their house.  He's a professional painter and painted them.  He used oil paint.  I don't care for it.  I can see brush strokes.

My sister painted my mothers cabinets.  I think it looks good.  The issue is finger prints.  My mother doesn't use the nobs. She'll grab the bottom of the door to open.  Where she touches is worn down, but no chips.  

Maybe spraying them gives a better result.

Respected Contributor

One of my BF had hers painted - lower ones as a sage/olive color and the uppers ones cream.

They are gorgeous!!!   They were sprayed off-site.   No brush strokes, even coverage. It was done about 4 years ago, maybe 5 and they look good as new.  No chips or scratches.  She ended up having her bathroom vanities done as well.

My own cabinets are hand-painted and hand-glazed.  I have one chip on the top edge of a drawer, it is about as wide as a dime and about 1/4 in long. . My cabinets are 11 years old.

Respected Contributor

I don't care for painted cabinets as they will eventually chip and it doesn't take too long. 

In my opinion, stained wooden cabinets are beautiful.  I love mine.  

Respected Contributor

In my previous home, I had my builder grade oak cabinets painted black by professional painters.  They used outdoor paint which while it was more durable, we couldn't take the smell nor did we think it was healthy to stay in our home until it fully aired out.  We lived in that home for another 7 years and we had no chips.  

I painted the same builder grade oak cabinets in our bathrooms in white with semi gloss a few years eariler than the kitchen cabinets and they also held up well. 

Esteemed Contributor

Have you considered one of those companies that just reface/replace the cabinet doors and nothing else?  My friend had that done in one of her homes and it made such a big difference. 

We're DIY and did the cabinet door painting once. It was fine but it took longer than we thought. I don't think I would repeat that project. I don't have small children just dogs so I didn't have a problem with chips but that was a concern. If you really "use" your kitchen then I would opt for the replacing of the doors.  

I've seen on some of the DIY programs where they remove the center panel and put in glass or fabric depending on the look that you prefer. Neither of that is my style but it's another option. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker  I had my cabinets painted. I 'inherited' them when I moved into an older condo and they are the originals from the mid-60's. On the up side, they are solid wood and very well made. On the down side, they were that hideous orange maple. I had them done by a professional painter who did a good job, and who took all the steps to ensure the paint job would last for a good while. Of course, they won't last forever, but they've held up well for the better part of a decade and still look very nice. If you find the right person for the job, I encourage painting cabinets. Perhaps wood tones are sacrosanct to some folks but they aren't to me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...