Respected Contributor

Re: Paint for bathroom cabinets that will hold up in bathroom environment?

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SandGirl , oh boy, I'd be unhappy as well.  I refinish furniture so I understand how much work it was for you.

I have no idea who/what Kelly Moore is but when I had my bathroom updated, my contractor suggested painting the vanity since it was in good shape, he removed the vanity and  took it to a woodworking shop where they were cleanined, sanded down a bit painted and then top coated.....maybe you could go that route....the process was not that expensive.  

I had mine painted black, I love it!  Good luck.

Who or what Kelly Moore is?  Just to let you know it’s on the West coast. No need to be snarky. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dont know where you live, but sherwin williams carries a dura pox, lol. No kidding.  It is like kelly moore dura poxy.  Idk how it works but they describe it like the kelly moore brand

whatever you use I would lightly sand.  Then paint with Zinnzer KILZ.  Paint a good coat. Let ot cure for  2 days.  Any paint will stick !!!  It says you can paint after an hour, but Ian old paint master told me years ago to let primer cure.  2 days at least.  This gives time for the primer to seal in pores, and set a good barrier for the paint so it adheres better.  Does it ever work.  I used in 24 years ago under a latex semi gloss paint in downstairs bath.  The cabinets were original to home.  It is still on cabinet and I wipe them down often with cool water

Honored Contributor

I removed the wooden doors and drawer-fronts from my bathroom cabinets and took them to cabinet maker here in town to have them laminate them with a solid color. The cabinet frames are all solid wood so I just cleaned them and put a light coat of Minwax on them to protect them from moisture. When i got the doors and drawer-fronts put back on, my cabinets looked brand new. The best part is that they can be washed and I don't have to worry about water damage.

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty  Yep!  I have a Sherwin WIlliams just about 8 miles or so away  Smiley Happy  You described what I want, something I can wash clean and it will hold up.  I love the "color" I did thought and it will be hard to find in a paint since it was a paint then a glaze over the top, they are Espresso in color and look really nice, i thought about going white but since my kitchen is espresso I would like to stick to the theme of all my cabinets having the same color since all the granite in the kitchen and bathrooms are the same as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SandGirl , oh boy, I'd be unhappy as well.  I refinish furniture so I understand how much work it was for you.

I have no idea who/what Kelly Moore is but when I had my bathroom updated, my contractor suggested painting the vanity since it was in good shape, he removed the vanity and  took it to a woodworking shop where they were cleanined, sanded down a bit painted and then top coated.....maybe you could go that route....the process was not that expensive.  

I had mine painted black, I love it!  Good luck.

Who or what Kelly Moore is?  Just to let you know it’s on the West coast. No need to be snarky. 

@GSPgirl I have no idea why you thought I was being snarky!!! It was an honest question....what words were snarky??

Esteemed Contributor

There's nothing snarky there.

@Mom2Dogs , I usually avoid expressing emotionalism here, but one poster's story really touched me and I broke my 'rule', wrote a reply very expressive of my feelings for her plight...and got slammed for it!   

An immediate snarky reply calling my post snarky was followed by a few other rapid posts with snark, troll, and other namecalling. One of them must've asked mods to remove my post, because it went poof quickly, while their namecalling remained.

The thing is, I can think of a few posts I've written that deserved poofing. But that sure wasn't one of them.

Point being you never know when a simple, straightforward post will be interpreted as snarky, or why they see it as being so.

Just keep reading and writing.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  thanks, for the comment and sharing your experience.

I had no idea what I said was snarky.  I am from another area of the country and did not know what or where that store or person was located.  I guess you never know what will set another poster off!  ..and correct, I WILL keep reading and posting!

Respected Contributor

I would check out Sherwin Williams.

-Texas Hill Country-
Occasional Contributor

https://www.homedepot.com/s/beyond%2520paint?NCNI-5
Beyond Paint all in one... I did my bathroom cabinets in the mocha it's beautiful its at home depot you have to order  it's around $50 but its a 1 step paint i did it 4 years ago me not my hubby. link above read up on it. hth
Honored Contributor

I would paint with them with ANNIE SLOAN'S CHALK PAINT.  

Many colors to choose from.  Non toxic--no off-gassing. 

No need to sand cabinets, just make sure they are wiped clean and dried before you paint.  Then add the wax which protects it.

Paint holds up very well!  Can be wiped down easily.