Esteemed Contributor

Have you used a de-glosser (Krud Kutter is an example) to prep a high gloss surface, so a paint with lower sheen (semi-gloss, satin, flat, etc) can adhere?  The surface I'm working with will be sanded down.  There seem to be lots of opinions on what works best - sanding, de-glossing, or both, and I'm interested in yours.

Happy Summer!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Re: Paint De-glosser

[ Edited ]

Hi Sweetbay. I am in the middle of prepping my front door for paint. As I understand it, a de-glosser shouldn't be necessary if you have sanded it completely, since sanding totally dulls the surface for good adhesion of paint.  
A de-glosser is used if you're not sanding the surface, or minimally sanding. I wouldn't use Kurd Kutter , since it a really a cleanser. But if you're going to use a de-glosser, i would get a true " de-glosser" product instead. Best of luck with your project. 
Are you priming first? I want to just paint but I'll throw a primer on because I don't want chipping or peeling. I guess Bullseye 123 is gonna work... Any thoughts? Thanks! 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the input, @Skyegirl21 !  I'm not using a primer because the paint I'm using is an all-in-one, good quality Ben Moore and according to my best "sources", just that alone should suffice (after sanding and wiping down).

It's probably not a bad idea at all to prime first, though.  True confessions:  this, too, is a front door job and (long story) I got the wrong paint and now we have to do-over!  

Heaven forbid this coat should start to chip or peel.  I have a painter doing the work and I think he would disown me.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Re: Paint De-glosser

[ Edited ]

sanding even lightly used to be the way all surfaces were deglossed.  

But a sealer can solve other problems too, if the surface is more porous in some areas than others, and also to keep wood resins from bleeding through.  Sealers can also be tinted to save multiple coats of the final paint.

Esteemed Contributor

Good to know, @Bhvbum !

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Sherwin Williams sells a bonding paint that's incredible. I used it to paint over some ugly, composite cabinets years ago, and it's never chipped.

I also prefer to use 'liquid sandpaper' instead of sanding; just wipe on, let sit, then paint.

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @sabatini !  I have been reading about that liquid product.  Like anything, there are varied opinions and it is nice to hear it directly from someone you "know".

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Helpful suggestions here! My door is ready, using Ben Moore tinted primer and Exterior soft gloss. Do you all think Is it better to take it off the hinges or leave it hanging? I also am taking off the handle and knocker to spray them black- Thanks and have a great day
 DIY masters! 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Skyegirl21 !  May the Force be with you as you work through your project!

I think the "best" way would be to remove everything.  However, having inquired with two professional painters I have worked with, they look at me like I have two heads when I ask if they will take the door down and remove the hardware.

I suspect the paint levels better horizontally (duh!) but the way I've come to look at it, depending on usage and location, the darned thing may have to be repainted some time in the future, anyway, so to attain that "perfect" finish today may not be worth all the effort given that they all see scuffs, marks, fade and chips over time.  

I like the idea of painting your hardware!  I've done that with house numbers, to match the door.

The painter I'm working with will be here soon to re-paint my front door.  He's just got to knock down some sheen and work out some (bad) texture issues.  I'm using semi gloss on the door but we used the soft sheen on the shutters and it's nice.  My door is under a large porch and in a corner so some shine really helps it sit proud of the darkness.  Just not high gloss.  What a disaster.

Let us know how it goes!  Remember the principles of wabi-sabi (acceptance of transience and imperfection; appreciating beauty that is imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete).  Helps me, anyway!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia , Keep me posted on your project! Hope it's just right this time, (nothing is perfect)... My friends also talk about WabiSabi, 💕It is such a good concept to keep in mind-