Respected Contributor

PORTABLE TIRE INFLATOR RECOMMENDATIONS

Can you please recommend a portable tire inflator?  Tried and true, preferred.  I think it needs to be pretty ''heavy duty'  because it is needed for a  trailer that carries a tractor. Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PORTABLE TIRE INFLATOR RECOMMENDATIONS

I purchased the Stanley line from QVC. It's an all in one with tire inflation, jumper cables, etc. Heavy duty...I now have one for each of us. We purchased just an air compressor years ago. It was so noisy and took forever to inflate the tires. These all in ones seem to be more for your money.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought one of these Air Hawk compressors from HSN last year. Works like a charm! I inflated all four tires on my car. It does take time to inflate each tire but this thing is so worth it for me. I hate going to the gas station to use one of theirs. I use this instead now. Just screw it on the valve and let it go until it automatically stops at the correct pressure. Easy peasy. Can be plugged into cig lighter or operate it off the rechargeable battery.

s-l300.jpg

Respected Contributor

We got so tired of those portable tire inflators.  They were so very noisy and took forever.  What we did was purchase a smaller air compressor at Lowes.  (Can also be used to operate pneumatic air tools).  Since the compressor needs electricity we also purchased an aluminum portable air tank.  We fill the portable tank with compressed air.  It is very light weight so can we carry it to where ever it is needed.  We take it to our shed which has no electric to fill up the tires on my husband's lawn tractor.  I have also used the portable tank to blow out the dust that accumulates inside our televisions.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

We got so tired of those portable tire inflators.  They were so very noisy and took forever.  What we did was purchase a smaller air compressor at Lowes.  (Can also be used to operate pneumatic air tools).  Since the compressor needs electricity we also purchased an aluminum portable air tank.  We fill the portable tank with compressed air.  It is very light weight so can we carry it to where ever it is needed.  We take it to our shed which has no electric to fill up the tires on my husband's lawn tractor.  I have also used the portable tank to blow out the dust that accumulates inside our televisions.

This will be your best way to go.  I'm a country farm girl.  No regular portable air compressor made for autos will give you the force you need to fill a larger trailer tire if indeed you are talking about a trailer big enough to haul a small tractor or larger.  A compressor is best for anything more heavy duty than an auto; it is also great for autos and lawn mowers since it will fill them faster and more accurate.  I have a portable auto air compressor for my car that I got from Lowe's.  It is their brand Kobalt and lets you set the pounds you want it to fill, then it gets to work and you don't have to keep taking it off to check the PSI.  It does take a few minutes to fill a regular car tire, which is why it isn't best for a trailer or tractor since those will take substantially longer and does need more pressure to really fill a heavier duty tire.  If you are getting a tractor, you will also need it for the tractor and for tools powered by an air compressor.  You won't want to be without. 

PS: Don't forget to get the portable tank to take the tank with you in the truck in case you need to pump up the trailer or tractor when you travel.  The compressor will fill it, and it maintains a good solid pressure for filling tires on the go.

Respected Contributor

@Tigriss  There is probably alot of people who don't understand us country farm girls.  Below is picture similar to the air compressor and storage tank we purchased.  I described our compressor as being small because it is a dwarf compared to the five foot compressor my brother has in his garage.  We don't use them often, but they are invaluable when needed.

images.jpeg

pACE3-975727enh-z7.jpg

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I bought one of these Air Hawk compressors from HSN last year. Works like a charm! I inflated all four tires on my car. It does take time to inflate each tire but this thing is so worth it for me. I hate going to the gas station to use one of theirs. I use this instead now. Just screw it on the valve and let it go until it automatically stops at the correct pressure. Easy peasy. Can be plugged into cig lighter or operate it off the rechargeable battery.

s-l300.jpg

Saw this on HSN and I really want one.  Can help my sisters with it too!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just bought this at Walmart.

Product Image
Hyper Tough 12V Mini Tire Inflator

The cord is not that long, so you have to make sure the valve system is closer. It worked great for $10. @sarahpanda

I really did not think it would work. It did not take that long to inflate.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny You are right! THe pair may initially cost more than my $50 portable, will fit in my trunk and not take up valuable shopping real estate, but will serve a better purpose for what the OP is doing with her equipment.