Honored Contributor

Re: PICTURESQUE PROVINCETOWN COTTAGE

Wow, @tobes,  both Peter Hunt and Scidenstricker did such beautiful work-- wonderful artists, both of them.  Generous of you to share information, images and links to these two artists of the area.  This is what I enjoy about the Q threads-- people contributing fascinating info we may not have encountered before-- thanks!

An artists' colony would be, to me, the most fabulous place to live, year round!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell both men are gone now.  Havn't been to the cape in 10 years, but maybe I need a trip to check out my out haunts.  Here is another piece of Sydenstricker who was a good friend to Peter Hunt.  Morning Glory

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Other than the location, I'm afraid there's not much about this that resonates with me. I'm not a fan of most 'coastal' or 'beachy' decor either but there has to be a middle ground between that look and this one. He has some nice things, but I don't appreciate the gestalt of his rooms or of this house. It's a bit too worn looking for me and maybe like he's trying just a tad too hard for that relaxed yet esoteric vibe. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Like this house very much, especially the kitchen. The stove is gorgeous. Also love P town.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the chance to explore this unusual home.  I love the Cape, and love going to P town.  It’s such a fun place to explore, and we like to visit the Pilgrim Monument every time.

Such fun shopping.  I like certain aspects of his decorating, but I personally wouldn’t overcrowd a beach home with so much “stuff.”  I do love the old portraits!  And the old bulls-eye mirror.

Honored Contributor

I appreciate that he wanted to keep the history of the house, but I find American whaling history deeply disturbing, so I wouldn't want it.    My Cape house is ocean themed in the manner that this designer was trying to avoid.

I love his location and view.  Parts of Provincetown are beautiful, but I find the main shopping area and wharf to be dirty.

Honored Contributor

We live on the bay in NJ. We have older cottages and new homes in a nice mix in our beach neighborhood. This house reminds me of the older cottages here and I love it.

I would change a few things ....remove some of the art and wallpaper but that's about it.

We recently stayed in an old cottage in Rodanthe NC (2 houses down from the Nights in Rodanthe House).....I was in heavenWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

@DREAMON  I too like the older beach cottages. Each to their own, but I'd much prefer one of them to a glitzy new build or the sterile modern architecture so many newer beach homes feature.

Honored Contributor

@DREAMONand @stevieb,  when we remodeled our kitchen,  I sort of loosely wanted a "touch" of a modest Forties' beach shack in Laguna Beach, that maybe Claudette Colbert or Joan Crawford might have "roughed it" in, ha.

Don't think we quite achieved that, but there's a whisper.....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  There is some more modern architecture that I find appealing but as a rule, I prefer an older vibe. Your semi-40's beach shack kitchen sounds neat. Interestingly enough, I don't like mid-century decor at all yet do appreciate some houses designed with a mid-century look, but that's about as contemporary as I can go where architecture is concerned.