Honored Contributor

PICTURESQUE PROVINCETOWN COTTAGE

Oh, boy, nobody's going to like this one but me probably!

This guy Ken Fulk may have a big, international, glam, design life in San Francisco, but I sure like the way he simplifies when he's in coastal Massachusetts...

His formerly tumble-down cottage (it's still a little tumbledown, but in a very artful way, ha) is weathered, old, crusty, paint chippy, with antiques, old portraits, a primitive-looking kitchen, and curiosities like an old WPA mural/painting.  I love it all!  It's not exactly what QVC means when they blithely reference "coastal style".

He said the little cottage was known as the "Grey Gardens" of Provincetown, and he knew not to slick it up too much when he brought it back to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALf8etpTIu0

Side note:  I also like him for his old world manners, which fit with the cottage, by the way.  At the end of the video, his interviewer Susanna Salk is sort of plunging down toward the water, and for a split second, he reaches out as if to steady her.  It goes by in a flash.  That's a gent!

Respected Contributor

Re: PICTURESQUE PROVINCETOWN COTTAGE

That I like. What a view.

Honored Contributor

I have been to P town several times, I love the house but hate the decorating it it way to heavy for a home in a beachy area

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I missed his reaching out - but love much of the little house.  My favorites are the mural and what seems to be the breakfast table.  And, of course, the view.  

Thanks, @Oznell  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Love it as a vacation house.  Very unique.  Love Provincetown, too.

Respected Contributor

I really enjoyed watching ... it's just beautiful.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell I just love this house in Provincetown.  I have summered there with my family in the 70's and 80's before it became so populated.  Enjoyed every minute of it. I found out about Peter Hunt who was a resident of PTown in the 40's 50's 60's and 70's..  He was known for folk art and had his pieces art displayed in the permeir house and garden magazines.  Some of his work is in the MOMA in New York. He became a friend to the Portuguese sailors who inhabited Provincetown early on who taught him how to cook their recipies.  Peter finally put together a cookbook that became a best seller though he rarely cooked the recipies himself.  He was not a cook.  Nevertheless his book won the cookbook award award and he was feted at the award ceremony in Boston  He was accompanied by Scidenstricker of Orleans Ma, a maker of destinctive plates.  They met up with Julia Child at the award ceremony who regaled Peter.  It was a hoot according to Sciendstrcker who were totally out of their realm.  The story was lovingly told to me by Mr. Sciendstricker who had a studion in Orleans Ma, who laughed and laughed as he told it.  By the way I have several of signed Scidenstriker's plates that I cherish. Though Schdenstrker's studio is still in Orleans Mr. Scidentriker has since passed away.  Plates are still produced there, but not of the quality of a Scidenstriker signed plate.  I knew years ago that Peter Hunt's house was still standing in Provincetown and some of the walls are painted in his style by him.  I don't know if it is still there and I cannot remember where it was.  Sorry.  Here is a link to Peter Hunt's work:

http://maisondecor8.blogspot.com/2018/07/peter-hunt-cape-cods-famous-folk-artist.html

PS - Scidenstricker had a piece of Peter Hunt furniture in his studio.  Don't know if it is still here.  Here is one of schdentricker's plates:  https://www.etsy.com/market/sydenstricker_glass

SYDENSTRICKER Art glass platter. Blue Iris. Fluted edges. image 0

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Glass of Scydenstricker

Morning Glory

Honored Contributor

I have loved New England for as long as I can remember and spent vacations at Provincetown and Bar Harbour  at Maine but that is another story.  

This summer retreat is absolutely lovely and I would move  there in a blink.  It is different in that it isn't decorated as a beach house and it has much in it to see.  That is fine with me. I love all the art work and the warm feeling of the rooms.  Of course the view is spectacular. I fell in love with that area so many years ago and always dreamed of living there.  The charm, the appeal, the beauty, the homes all pull me in and always have.  Thanks for sharing this one, Oznell.  It is one of my favorites of your videos.  I love the homes in the posts you send but the locations aren't for me in many of them but this one has both a charming home and an ideal location!!!!  I feel the same about Bar Harbor.

Trusted Contributor

Geeez, I'd take it anyday.

Super relaxing & best of all the VIEW!

Good ol "P-TOWN" as it's called here in MA.