Honored Contributor

P U S S Y WILLOWS BRING SPRING INSIDE

Hubby was so excited to get some of them from the same place we've cut them before.  They add such a touch of spring to the house!  Our last ones, left to dry, lasted several years.

Tried them in several containers, but I like them best in a sort of flared, simple Art Deco Waterford glass vase I got for cheap.  They're just leaning every which way, in a kind of careless spray!

Honored Contributor

Re: P U S S Y WILLOWS BRING SPRING INSIDE

Oh! @Oznell Just the name of ****** Willows bring back so many memories of me growing up.  

My Dad came back from World War II and bought a house for me (3 months old) and my Grandma and Aunt and himself.

I lived there for about 12, 13 years. It was what we called row houses back then.  It's actually still there.  

Anyway, we had several ****** Willows in our yard.  My grandma used to call it 'the money tree'.  When the ice cream man (Good Humor) came ringing his bell and I wanted a nickle (or dime for an ice cream sandwich) she'd say, "Go out there and shake the money tree".  Then I'd come in and she'd hand me the dime.

Both front and back yards, they were full and beautiful.  You just don't see that many anymore (not in the Virginia area where I live).  They are so beautiful and majestic.

My daughter had a favorite poem about trees by a many named Joyce Kilmer called Trees.  I have the one she wrote (copied) it in 3rd grade on my refrigerator.

It starts out "I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree" and so on.......

Thanks for the memories.  Yes!  We'd bring some branches into the house but only Grandma could pick which one's.  She was very protective of her 'money trees'.  Ha!

Honored Contributor

Wonderful childhood memories, @Annabellethecat66.  "The money tree"--  that's great!  I'm going to think of them that way now!

We used to get excited about them when I was little too.  There's just something about p u s s y willows-- those soft little dove grey bundles adorning those pliable branches.

I'm safeguarding mine by putting the vase high up on a cabinet.  Our kitties would be only too interested in investigating those little plant p u s s y  cats!

Honored Contributor

I just noticed the first pussywillows as I was going along my drive yesterday.  They always make me smile.  I didn't bring any inside (too many allergies in this house), but I love to see them.  Spring is here!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Love ****** willows.  I don't see them where I currently live.  Pier one used to sell faux.  Not sure if they still have them.

Honored Contributor

When I was a kid (many, many, many years ago) my mother had them in the house especially around Easter.  She had them in a cut glass vase.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I just took mine down from the vase on the LR mantel. Replaced with faux forsythia and cherry blossoms. Displayed the ****** willows since February.

Respected Contributor

I used to look forward to them every year. I would leave them in water and eventuallly they would develop roots and then I would plant then in the garden. ****** willows and Forsythias (sp) were the first plants that would bloom each Spring.

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush, thanks for reminding me, I love the fierce yellow blaze of forsythia too, as a harbinger of spring!

Honored Contributor

My neighbor gave me a bunch of ****** willow branches years ago and I put them in two areas of my house in tall pail shaped holders.  They lasted a long time and I loved how they looked.  I had to get rid of them because after all that time they were shedding .  

Recently I saw beautiful ****** willow bundles at a farm store nearby and I plan to buy a couple of bunches and once again decorate with them.  They do add springtime to a room and also remind me of my childhood when they were so popular!!!