Trusted Contributor

Has anyone ever used this service to clean carpets?  They claim they do not use toxic chemicals and it is safe for children 7 pets and dries in 1 hour.  All these features are important to me if indeed true and does clean well.  I have a dog and a greatgrandson living with me so this sounds good.

Respected Contributor

@chlema

Years ago I had the "oxy" type carpet cleaning done on my entire home.  The appeal was that it did not take a day to dry the carpeting.

The price was about what I paid to have my carpets cleaned the traditional way.  

I was not pleased at all by the outcome of this process.  Two major issues:

1.  They hand-cleaned the stairs using the oxy solution and white hand towels.  It looked terrible, so I asked them to do it again.  They said their equipment was too large to handle the stairs!  

2.  The machine they used to clean my carpet was similar to a giant buffer.  This rotary action messed up the pad underneath my carpet and made it pucker and buckle at the seams (which I had never noticed before).  It looked like a relief map!  

I ended up calling management and they sent out a team to repair the carpet in several places, but it was never the same again!  

I have had much better luck with Stanley Steamer and would never have the oxy system used again.  HTH

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much for your reply.  Based on what you say I think I'll pass on them and stick with Stanley Steemer.

Honored Contributor

Hi @chlema

I'll add an experience that may or may not be of any help to you. 

I had professional carpet cleaners only one time . They left my carpets very wet (soaked and soggy, actually) so I purchased a home carpet cleaner by Oreck.

I used it with good results for many years, but it wore out. The new Orecks (I tried three of them in less than one year, and all failed after a few hours use) were just junk, and I felt at a total loss as to how I was going to clean carpets.

I researched, and read reviews and was completely confused. So I purchased what I thought best, a Bissell Pro Heat Lift Off Pet. 

I couldn't believe how great it worked. It made the Oreck I thought I had loved for years seem like junk. It is big enough to do whole room cleaning, but the lift off section makes doing stairs or furniture easy as pie. The carpets dried in less than half the time I was used to, and the water stays warm while using. 

These home carpet cleaners have soap to use with them, and I found that using only water was just as effective, and I didn't have to worry about any residue left in my carpets. We don't wear shoes in the house, and because I have my own machine, I do clean the high traffic rooms and areas twice a year, so we don't have serious stains or dirt to lift out. Even when I do think a little soap is necessary, I only put one cap full (and it is a very shallow cap on the bottle I have) per tank of water. There is also the ability to rinse your carpet, simply by adding no soap and using just hot water.

Don't know if you are able to do the carpets yourself, or have any desire to do so, but those Bissells are really great, and thought I'd just offer up my experience if it might help you.

Respected Contributor

I too use an at home carpet cleaner.  I have a BIssell that has lasted for years and years.  I use the chemicals I want and no problem.  I bought a gallon of concentrated industrial solution from Sam's and it has lasted because you use one ounce to the cleaner container.  I have also just cleaned with a diluted solution of vinegar and a diluted solution of oxyclean without issues.  At work, our chaplan uses faboluso and downy.  The downy keeps the faboluso from foaming, but vinegar would do the same.  It does make the chapel smell much better, but that is on industral carpet without backing.  You could also research pet safe solutions for carpet cleaning or just vinegar and water works well to remove the junk.  I can spot clean and clean a room anytime I like for much less than the pros, but we don't have pro services in my rural area.

You can ask Stanley Steamer if they have a pet safe cleaner as well.  I also use my Haan floor steamer to steam clean the carpet because it has a carpet slide with it.  THat works really well without actual water and really freshens up the carpet.  Just things to consider.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all your replies.  I do have a Bissell shampooer and am very satisfied with the results.  At my age though (76) it is hard for me to operate and even dump out all the water :-(.   I do, however, have nice strong grandchildren-------------lol.  The reason I was asking about the Oxymagic was they claim carpeting is dry in 1 hour instead of overnight as in the others.  

Respected Contributor

Might I suggest a floor steamer with a carpet attachment that only uses the power of steam to freshen up the carpet.  THen get the grandkids to clean it with Earth Choice 3-in-1 Carpet Cleaner Concentrate  It is all natural, on Amazon and Sams club, http://www.samsclub.com/sams/earth-choice-3-in-1-carpet-cleaner-concentrate/118485.ip

You should be happy with it based on the reviews.