Honored Contributor

Interesting!  Looks good!

Respected Contributor

No does not appeal to me at all.

Honored Contributor

I prefer leaning overlapping artwork.  Some examples:

Inspiration for layering framed prints and photographs on a mantel ...

Leaning Pictures and Mirrors

Leaning Pictures and Mirrors

6 Tricks to Decorate a Mantel like Joanna Gaines

Honored Contributor

If it's family photos, people or dog pics, fine. Whatever,

If it is overlapping "art" it is not art it is decor.

Art, in the true sense of the word, would never be overlapped. 

Honored Contributor

I really like it.  You barely even see the light switch and that's a good thing to me. Mostly, it's a good way to show "even more" family pictures without taking up more space.

Honored Contributor

Re: Overlapping Artwork

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono 

Better looking than I thought upon seeing the title, but it still is not my style. 

@faeriemoon 

I like the examples you posted with overlapping vignettes on fireplace mantles. I do that with family photos in frames on my bookshelf. 

Esteemed Contributor

Nice.

I have something similar in my gallery wall hallway - but shelves with leaning frames. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono   Thanks for posting.

These pieces wouldn't make much of a statement individually, this arrangement gives them more presence.  They play nicely together. I could see it with the right pieces in the right area.

To me 'art' is to be enjoyed on a personal level, so there are no hard and fast rules.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

These pieces wouldn't make much of a statement individually, this arrangement gives them more presence.  They play nicely together. I could see it with the right pieces in the right area.

To me 'art' is to be enjoyed on a personal level, so there are no hard and fast rules.

Agree; and sometimes the fact that they are overlapping actually makes them "art."

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Agree; and sometimes the fact that they are overlapping actually makes them "art."

@faeriemoon 

Klimit had no hesitation about it!  Smiley Happy

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras